News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Ironically, though I'm not a huge Kevin Spacey fan, I liked American Beauty.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2014, 06:27:05 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2014, 06:18:30 PM
You ever seen Night of the Hunter, Celed?

Yeah, like it a lot.
It's one of my all-time favorites.  Laughton used Expressionism as a big influence.  Completely unlike anything from the 50s, big influence on Lynch and the Coen brothers.  Love it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2014, 06:19:20 PM
I'm worried that people will start ironically appreciating it, like what happened with American Beauty.  :bleeding:
I enjoyed American Beauty a lot more after reading Hans's review :)
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2014, 06:35:03 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2014, 06:27:05 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2014, 06:18:30 PM
You ever seen Night of the Hunter, Celed?

Yeah, like it a lot.
It's one of my all-time favorites.  Laughton used Expressionism as a big influence.  Completely unlike anything from the 50s, big influence on Lynch and the Coen brothers.  Love it.

Well, that's because Night of the Hunter is a horror film, where Robert Mitchum is the monster. There was a big influence from Expressionism in horror films, through a lot of German film people (which included a lot of set designers and DOPs) that fled the nazis.

Incidentally, the film was widely rejected by critics and audiences at the time, so Laughton never made another film :(

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

celedhring

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 21, 2014, 06:40:15 PM
And film noir.

Yeah, most German directors (Lang, Wilder, Siodmak) started up doing noir upon their arrival. That said, noir's style is mostly derived from being cheap; WB was a poorly funded studio back then and using natural locations with little lightning saved money, plus it lent a naturalistic feel to the picture that fit the "true crime!" pulpish feel.

Incidentally, heightened melodrama was another byproduct of German influence, through - amongst others - the one and only Douglas Sirk (nee Hans Sierck).

One thing Hollywood's always been truly great at, is phagocyting, taming and adapting stylistic innovations from the ROTW.

CountDeMoney

Vertigo: overrated.  Not even in my Hitchcock Top 5.
Casablanca: not overrated.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2014, 06:49:49 PM
Vertigo: overrated.  Not even in my Hitchcock Top 5.
Casablanca: not overrated.
I think there is a real argument to be made that Hermann's Vertigo soundtrack is the greatest of all time.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2014, 06:47:24 PM
And film noir.

Yeah, most German directors (Lang, Wilder, Siodmak) started up doing noir upon their arrival. That said, noir's style is mostly derived from being cheap; WB was a poorly funded studio back then and using natural locations with little lightning saved money, plus it lent a naturalistic feel to the picture that fit the "true crime!" pulpish feel.

Incidentally, heightened melodrama was another byproduct of German influence, through - amongst others - the one and only Douglas Sirk (nee Hans Sierck).

One thing Hollywood's always been truly great at, is phagocyting, taming and adapting stylistic innovations from the ROTW.
IDK if that's even accurate.  Night of the Hunter is as American as apple pie, and it had a colossal influence on a lot of future American film, but its director was English.  Billy Wilder was as German Jewish as anyone.  Hollywood has always been wonderfully international. 

Capetan Mihali

Incidentally, heightened melodrama was another byproduct of German influence, through the one and only Douglas Sirk (nee Hans Sierck).

Then back to Germany in the form of Fassbinder.  Then back to America in the form of Todd Haynes. :lol:

I love Sirk, though.  I think it amused him that he became such an inspiration and a critical darling later on, while his classics were regarded as puffed-up "women's pictures" at the time.  He had a great quote in a 70s or 80s interview I read where he said he would have made "Imitation of Life" on the basis of the title alone.

Nick Ray, I think, was the closest home-grown American genius in that field of over-the-top expressionist melodrama.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2014, 06:54:32 PM
And film noir.

IDK if that's even accurate.  Night of the Hunter is as American as apple pie, and it had a colossal influence on a lot of future American film, but its director was English.  Billy Wilder was as German Jewish as anyone.  Hollywood has always been wonderfully international.

How does that make what I said inaccurate? The way Hollywood did it was by attracting professionals from the ROTW. They see something that interests them, they show a wad of dollars to the guy that did it and set him up with a bungalow in LA. It's not a criticism - one doesn't get to be the top dog during so long unless it does quite a few things right.

Eddie Teach

The more Spellus posts in this thread, the more I question myself for liking Hannibal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on April 21, 2014, 06:25:32 PM
Why the dislike for American Beauty?

I think you're allowed to like.  You just can't like it ironically.  Whatever the fuck that means.

garbon

I confused as to why phagocyte was the word chosen for this conversation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

I've met people who liked American Beauty because it was good and people who disliked American Beauty because it was bad, but never anybody who liked American Beauty because it was bad.  Which is what I take ironic liking to mean in this context.  Unlike, say, The Room...