News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In the book he uses the ghost army to defeat the corsairs; he steals the corsairs' ships and ferries (non-undead) re-inforcements up the river Anduin, IIRC.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2014, 01:45:57 AM
I'm not sure exactly what that means, "it would be the least opposed bit."

Ireland has been a free democracy since achieving independence.  If a majority of Irish voters had supported the retards' program, as you seem to be suggesting, then surely it would have been enacted into law by the dirty Mick parliament.  But since it has not, we can conclude that it was fringe sentiment.

That's the essence of my critique of Barley: Loach presented opposition to the communards as being composed of double dealers and hypocrites and Quislings.  He didn't treat the no point of view with respect.

:lol:  Don't ever change.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 12, 2014, 10:44:39 AM
But isn't that how it was in the books too?

Maybe.  To what extent is a movie insulated from criticism simply because it recapitulates the failures of its source material?  I'd argue "none."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

What Sweetass and Ide said.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on April 12, 2014, 03:43:19 AM
Yi was never mistaken for a man :(

That one line is killer.  The rest are lame.

The Brain

You may not like it Yi, but that's how Americans talk.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on April 12, 2014, 10:57:19 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 12, 2014, 10:44:39 AM
But isn't that how it was in the books too?

Maybe.  To what extent is a movie insulated from criticism simply because it recapitulates the failures of its source material?  I'd argue "none."

Bah.  They're not that big a deal anyone...pretty much like a one-shot atom bomb.  Sure they beat the army at Pelennor...but the Allies were going to get their asses kicked at the Towers of the Teeth until Frodo dealt the death blow.

celedhring

Saw John Carter. Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting too much after the bad rap it got, but I didn't completely hate it. I loved the pulpish early century sci-fi setting, not something you see in movies too often. That said, the film was unnecessarily long and the plot was convoluted.

Ideologue

The film was necessarily long and the plot was elegant.

:P I really liked John Carter.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

I liked James Earle Carter;  great beginning, defined acts, great supporting characters, good dialogue.  Shitty ending.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2014, 03:27:31 PM
Saw John Carter. Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting too much after the bad rap it got, but I didn't completely hate it. I loved the pulpish early century sci-fi setting, not something you see in movies too often. That said, the film was unnecessarily long and the plot was convoluted.

The whole beginning was sorta pointless, why waste all this time with the cavalry?  That's like making a Superman film with the first 20 minutes showing Superman's dad fiddling with the rocket.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2014, 04:17:49 PM

The whole beginning was sorta pointless, why waste all this time with the cavalry?  That's like making a Superman film with the first 20 minutes showing Superman's dad fiddling with the rocket.

:bleeding:

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2014, 04:17:49 PM

I see what you did there.

The cavalry part was supposed to showcase how he doesn't care for anybody anymore etc, etc... but it wasn't particularly poignant or effective on that regard. But you gotta have Kansas before going to Oz.

I loved how long and complicated the plot was, yet they still needed to have the evil guy go and explain all his villainous plan to Carter for no apparent reason.

Eddie Teach

So, Hannibal.
[spoiler]They killed off Dr. Chilton? That's not supposed to happen 'til Hannibal escapes from prison.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2014, 07:55:38 PM
So, Hannibal.
[spoiler]They killed off Dr. Chilton? That's not supposed to happen 'til Hannibal escapes from prison.[/spoiler]

No idea, stopped watching the show.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son