News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2014, 08:06:34 PM
There's give and take on signing peace, but not on the retards retarded sense of social justice.
That's perfect :lol:

I think chances are it's because it would be the least opposed bit. The hugely contentious issues were the oath, dominion status and the fact that as Collins put it it wasn't freedom but freedom to achieve freedom.

A lot of Irish nationalism was about land and agrarian revolt. The famous stat is that in 1870 only 3% of people in Ireland owned their own holdings (and remember tenancy had gone from an average of three lifetimes in the 18th century to 11 months in the mid-19th and, until Gladstone's reforms, could be terminated for any reason) but in 1930 only 3% didn't.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I'm not sure exactly what that means, "it would be the least opposed bit."

Ireland has been a free democracy since achieving independence.  If a majority of Irish voters had supported the retards' program, as you seem to be suggesting, then surely it would have been enacted into law by the dirty Mick parliament.  But since it has not, we can conclude that it was fringe sentiment.

That's the essence of my critique of Barley: Loach presented opposition to the communards as being composed of double dealers and hypocrites and Quislings.  He didn't treat the no point of view with respect.

Admiral Yi

Aliens late night on IFC.  Goddamn what a perfect movie.*

This must be around the 15th viewing and it still holds up.

*Except for the five minutes of "gyrenes talking smack" lameness.

Syt

It's possibly the best action movie ever made (it's a coin toss for me between Aliens and Raiders of the Lost Ark). The pacing is almost perfect - even the long cut doesn't feel like 150 minutes.

Also, Cameron has a knack for creating plausible future mil-tech that still looks reasonably realistic 20+ years later (at least to this layman).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Yi was never mistaken for a man :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2014, 02:40:02 AM
*Except for the five minutes of "gyrenes talking smack" lameness.

I love that bit, Cameron does a great work in creating a sense of camaraderie between them, makes the ensuing carnage more poignant.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2014, 03:27:22 AM
It's possibly the best action movie ever made (it's a coin toss for me between Aliens and Raiders of the Lost Ark). The pacing is almost perfect - even the long cut doesn't feel like 150 minutes.

Also, Cameron has a knack for creating plausible future mil-tech that still looks reasonably realistic 20+ years later (at least to this layman).

Yeah, it does everything perfectly, from pacing to bad guys, sidekicks and comic relief, to specific plot points and just the right amount of increasing tension.  Fantastic action score, too.

But I'd put it at 1A with Raiders at 1. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on April 12, 2014, 03:43:19 AM
Yi was never mistaken for a man :(

Marines with too smack talk?  No cornbread for Yi.  He can sit with Goreman.

Syt

I really miss the CGI-less action movies.

Yes, Jurassic Park was impressive. Yes, there's the occasional good action flick that uses GCI. But overall, the action blockbuster genre has sufffered extremely from the GCI influx. Even really good and convincing CGI will often leave me cold, because I know it's "just CGI" which often lacks the impact/physicality of proper stunt work or physical effects shots. See: Roland Emmerich, Michael Bay. There's a few exceptions: CGI is a good idea for comic book movies. Also, Pacific Rim was extremely well done and gave the CGI "realistic" weight.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

The fact that you can pretty much do everything you can imagine with CGI has removed a lot of the awe factor of a finely staged and creative action piece. Remember watching Temple of Doom and being left agape wondering how the fuck did they pull off the whole mine cart chase, now there isn't that wow factor anymore. You know it's not there.

I liked how LOTR still used a bunch of practical stuff, I think that series got it regarding to when to use CGI and when to go practical (except that undead army).

Josquius

Ted- second time I've watched the whole thing. Umpteenth time I've watched parts of t. Made all the better from the fun that can be had slagging off the Japanese subtitles. Really makes me wonder about movies in languages I don't understand and relied on subs for
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 12, 2014, 08:19:52 AM
(except that undead army).

That really was a terrible misstep.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I'm surprised the undead army didn't get more shit even at the time.

Ewoks: terrible.
Ghosts that kills all your enemies and cannot be hurt in return: fine?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

But isn't that how it was in the books too?