TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2014, 06:18:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 06, 2014, 06:12:18 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2014, 06:04:28 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 06, 2014, 06:01:39 PM
Saw a midnight showing of "Big Trouble In Little China" last night, walked in without knowing what to expect.  Oh boy. :lol:
It was weird seeing Kim Catrall before she replaced her entire body with a Ghost in the Shell like total body prosthesis.
:lol:
Glad someone appreciated that.

It was good.

The hot one was Charlotte.  Miranda comes in second. -_-

Anyway, almost caved to Habbaku's stupid pressure and gave First Avenger a C+, but I resisted.  No, I haven't watched it since last year, but it went off of Netflix Instant.  Great timing, jerks.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) (and also Captain America: The First Avenger [2011] and a dash of Captain America [1990])

QuoteIf Captain America: The First Avenger gave us half of one of the best superhero films ever made and half of one of the dullest, Captain America: The Winter Soldier can certainly claim to be more even.

First Avenger:  B
Winter Soldier: C+

Long version, super-spoilery:

http://kinemalogue.blogspot.com/2014/04/william-sadler-is-number-one.html

P.S.: for Money--

Quote[The film] has fully three big ideas, any one of which could have easily carried a highly successful superhero narrative.  (And there's even a fourth!  That is, if you count Steve Rogers' ongoing inability to get along in modern life, newly reframed as a metaphor for the difficulties of soldiers returning to the civilian world, instead of as a metaphor for the disappearance of Greatest Generation gentility in the face of hippies.)  All of these ideas are pretty great (although Cap as an old man unable to get kids off his lawn and unsure if he wants them to remains more interesting than a vet who hasn't figured out how to use his points on USAJobs).

:)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Actually, I say "spoilery," but there is only literally one real surprise in the film, and that's only because they don't set up that such [spoiler]Mission: Impossible[/spoiler] technology exists, and I don't even mention that scene, being too concerned with my bitching about how a movie called "The Winter Soldier" is in no way, shape, or form actually about the Winter Soldier.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2014, 06:54:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2014, 06:04:04 PM
Saw a midnight showing of "Big Trouble In Little China" last night, walked in without knowing what to expect.  Oh boy. :lol:

That's an awesome pick for a midnight showing.  :lol: Better than running Rocky Horror for years.

I went to a Rocky Horror midnight show. Bleh.
product of its time, I'm sure.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

I love Rocky Horror to death.  :blush:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on April 06, 2014, 07:48:48 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2014, 06:54:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2014, 06:04:04 PM

That's an awesome pick for a midnight showing.  :lol: Better than running Rocky Horror for years.

I went to a Rocky Horror midnight show. Bleh.
product of its time, I'm sure.

Hey, I'm a hep cat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quick, 'Michael Clayton' or 'Cross of Iron', you decide.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2014, 07:50:47 PM
I love Rocky Horror to death.  :blush:

What of: Phantom of the Paradise?
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Michael Clayton, no question.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2014, 09:08:42 PM

Too late I went with 'Cross of Iron'.

Great up until James Coburn walks out on Senta Berger.  :wacko:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Queequeg

If anyone ever has an appetite for a cheesy 80s horror movie, there are much better options than Children of the Corn.  F.

Queequeg

Like Fright Night, which is great.  B+

katmai

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2014, 09:33:47 PM
If anyone ever has an appetite for a cheesy 80s horror movie, there are much better options than Children of the Corn.  F.
But, but pre Terminator Linda Hamilton! :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on April 06, 2014, 09:14:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2014, 09:08:42 PM

Too late I went with 'Cross of Iron'.

Great up until James Coburn walks out on Senta Berger.  :wacko:

Dummy.  Michael Clayton is pretty damned close to being a modern masterpiece.  Wonderful dialogue.

Queequeg

I think it's the same year as Terminator.