News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

What in particular?

For a minute, I was really petrified they were going to have Will Graham quote the entire "No!--that is incidental" speech from Silence. :bleeding:  It was still a perhaps-too-obvious callback, but at least it was in his character's voice (it wouldn't even be appropriate coming from Mikkelsen's Hannibal).

Saw Cap and Grand Budapest today.  Guess which one was staggeringly mediocre and flat, and which one was really awesome?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 05, 2014, 03:36:24 PM
Saw Cap and Grand Budapest today.  Guess which one was staggeringly mediocre and flat, and which one was really awesome?

Considering your taste in films, Vegas has the odds called off.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2014, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 05, 2014, 03:36:24 PM

Considering your taste in films, Vegas has the odds called off.
:D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

If I thought the first Captain America was utter garbage, will I like the new one better? Or is it just more trash?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I thought the first CapAm movie was really good up till he rescues Dum Dum Dugan and his men from the prison - it goes seriously downhill after that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2014, 08:36:22 AM
I thought the first CapAm movie was really good up till he rescues Dum Dum Dugan and his men from the prison - it goes seriously downhill after that.

Thought the same myself.

I think it shares the same problems of most superhero origin stories. The actual origin story is very fun and well done, but once it switches to the actual superheroic plot, it feels a bit of an improvised afterthought.

Ideologue

Absolutely agreed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on April 06, 2014, 10:10:58 AM

Absolutely agreed.

B-
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Har har.  I reviewed it here and gave a B; a very low one.  The strength of the first hour can't just be ignored in the calculation.  Sure, Cap's best friend dies at the end of a boring montage, the Red Skull's makeup in First Avenger is actually somehow lamer than the Red Skull's makeup from the Reb Brown film, it climaxes with a soulless, badly greenscreened climactic chase sequence, and features a cosmic weapon that no one ever does anything actually cosmic with (let alone build a Nazi space fleet with their mind), but that first hour is the best hour hour of any Marvel movie bar none.  Even Thor.

Plus you have to give them credit for attempting a superhero period piece in the first place.
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

Also, Atwell was hot.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Sure.  Can't ignore that either.
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

To what extent do you guys think Show Hannibal is capable of empathetic relationships? 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2014, 05:16:02 PM
To what extent do you guys think Show Hannibal is capable of empathetic relationships?

Zero.

mongers

'W1A' - the follow-on from the London olympic 'Twenty Twelve' comedy. Same main character played by Hugh Bonneville, he's now head of values at the BBC in Bush house, London.

Well worth a view, as funny as the first series, and if anything more savage.

If you can access iplayer from your country it's here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03yvf3r/W1A_Episode_1/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2014, 05:47:16 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 06, 2014, 05:16:02 PM

Zero.
I disagree.  I think it's completely warped, but weirdly it is there.  He's less classically Anti-Social than just completely, totally warped.  Hannibal is kind of a Milton-y Satan; he is fascinated by humanity, and enjoys it, but derives his best pleasure from observing and warping it.