News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

I loved The Fountain.

So 'eff you fuckin' plebes. You probably hate Justified, too.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on March 22, 2014, 01:51:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2014, 12:43:23 PM
Anyone else very excited by Noah? :o

Well, not the muslims

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/07/darren-aronofsky-noah-banned-muslim-countries

cause Noah is supposed to be a prophet of islam who's history and record was falsified.

also, not with the christians

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rough-seas-noah-darren-aronofsky-679315

since they choose to ignore the fact that god murders (almost) everybody
and noah is a drunken wife beater.

:huh: It hardly looks like they're ignoring that from the trailers released. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

saw the second hunger games the other night. not even booze could save it. OK, i actually liked the first half. i took languish's views into consideration and let go of my hatred for the costumes, so that wasn't an issue this time around. visuals were better, too. was getting into the story, etc. the intro was overly long in the first movie to the rest of the movie's detriment, but at least here it was understandable since there needed to be more focus on the overarching plot

but dear god did the movie just fall apart in the second half when the game started. i stopped after [spoiler]the gorilla scene when the camouflaged chick sacrificed herself for peeta[/spoiler]. i skipped ahead to see if it got better, but it looked pretty awful up until the end.

Ideologue

The (insanely poorly photographed) costumes are the only--only--decent thing about the first, and still the best thing about the second, where they are better lit (I give Catching Fire a C and a big part of that is the monarch butterfly dress--the other part is Jena Malone, who in about five minutes of screentime creates a character 1000% more interesting, likeable, and relateable than Jennifer Lawrence managed over two whole, very long films).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I am also glad AmScip isn't a cultural weakling, like the rest of you.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

What's the costumes problem?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on March 22, 2014, 08:42:56 PM
I loved The Fountain.

I'd probably hate Justified too if it was dull and pretentious, instead of the opposite of that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

I think it takes someone smarter than Aronofsky, like Tarkovsky, Kubrick or Malik, to pull off that kind of pretentious sci-fi epic.  It didn't work.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2014, 11:37:29 PM
What's the costumes problem?

Well, the District 1 costumes are garish.  But that's appropriate, and they're interesting.  The District 12 or 13 or whatever Catniss is from, they're late 19th century potato sack dresses, and the result of absolutely zero imagination.  It's like two separate teams designed them, and perhaps they did.

Mike, I'm not taking that bait.
Kinemalogue

Syt

I loved The Fountain.

I liked the visuals, but I found the plot and motifs shallow and pretentious.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

Quote from: Queequeg on March 22, 2014, 11:46:59 PM
I think it takes someone smarter than Aronofsky, like Tarkovsky, Kubrick or Malik, to pull off that kind of pretentious sci-fi epic.  It didn't work.

god, fuck malick*

*though i've only seen tree of life

garbon

What a bizarre pairing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2014, 12:51:17 AM
god, fuck malick*

So you're a member of the Ideologue school.

Ideologue

Snake Eyes (1998).  It's some bitchin' technology.  Might be better still if a real rain had come and washed all the scum off the streets, as Brian De Palma and David Koepp originally intended, but an absolutely great story of a corrupt man who suddenly reaches his lifetime limit of shittiness all the same.  Nic Cage's is perfectly cast, and one is reminded with bittersweet tears that the pictures evidently just got too small for Gary Sinise.  A+
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2014, 09:35:06 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2014, 12:51:17 AM
god, fuck malick*

So you're a member of the Ideologue school.

70% of someone's work, and the best-regarded 70% at that, is enough to evaluate them on.

That said, evaluating Malick based solely on Tree of Life is probably a mistake.

I do feel comfortable evaluating Tarkovsky solely on the first forty-five minutes of Solaris, but I'd be willing to judge a stranger for punching me in the nose for no reason without seeing the rest of his oeuvre, too
Kinemalogue