Quote from: Kleves on February 25, 2014, 03:14:21 PM
New Godzilla trailer: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/25/godzilla-trailer-2

:w00t:
I quite like the look of that.

Two quibbles:
1 - Not enough Jean Reno.
2 - Pseudo-Inception horn :bleeding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jUhnCU9iA

wasn't Jean Reno in the Broderick/Diddy Godzilla?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2014, 05:15:27 PM
The Spanish-language version of Dracula (1931) is notoriously better than the original.

Yeap, weren't it for Bela Lugosi, it would be better known. It was lost and then refound in the '70s IIRC.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on February 25, 2014, 05:22:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jUhnCU9iA
It's a pet hate of mine. It's so common in trailers I wouldn't be surprised if it was used for Pride and Prejudice.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2014, 05:06:53 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 25, 2014, 01:39:19 PM
Be Big (1931)
In those days there wasn't dubbing or subtitles; so Stan and Ollie did the film three times.  Once in English, then in Spanish and then in French.  They read their lines off of cue cards with the words written phonetically.  Say un o-tra bone ga-shee

Yes.  :yes: Later on, dubbing caught or was enforced by the State for political reasons (digression) but since French people were used to their accents the dubbers had to make a British-accented French dub.  :nerd:

Same happened in Spanish dubbings.  :lol:

Btw, regarding the different language versions of classic films, I've read in some places that the Spanish language version of Lugosi's Dracula (for a long time believed to be lost but found and restored in the 70s) is regarded as much better than the English language one. Turns out that they shot the English language version during the day and, using the same sets, they shot the Spanish version at night with a different cast and crew. Apparently the Spanish version crew could check what was recorded by the English version crew and tried to one-up them with the lighting and the camera angles. Besides, it also seems that the Spanish version was slightly "racier" and the actresses showed some more skin than the English version ones. It is also 20 minutes longer, so the story is supposedly better developed. I've always been curious about it, would rather like to watch it.

Edit: Damn! One tries to write a long post and not just one but two other guys trample over my anecdote.  :(

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2014, 05:23:42 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2014, 05:15:27 PM
The Spanish-language version of Dracula (1931) is notoriously better than the original.

Yeap, weren't it for Bela Lugosi, it would be better known. It was lost and then refound in the '70s IIRC.

That's the problem with Spanish Drácula.  Carlos Villarías is just some guy with a cape, Bela Lugosi is Dracula.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2014, 05:33:06 PM
Same happened in Spanish dubbings.  :lol:

Btw, regarding the different language versions of classic films, I've read in some places that the Spanish language version of Lugosi's Dracula (for a long time believed to be lost but found and restored in the 70s) is regarded as much better than the English language one. Turns out that they shot the English language version during the day and, using the same sets, they shot the Spanish version at night with a different cast and crew. Apparently the Spanish version crew could check what was recorded by the English version crew and tried to one-up them with the lighting and the camera angles. Besides, it also seems that the Spanish version was slightly "racier" and the actresses showed some more skin than the English version ones. It is also 20 minutes longer, so the story is supposedly better developed. I've always been curious about it, would rather like to watch it.

Edit: Damn! One tries to write a long post and not just one but two other guys trample over my anecdote.  :(

It's well worth seeing.  It's not so much that the story is better developed as George Melford put a great deal of effort into generating atmosphere.  With the exception of the first fifteen minutes Browning's version feels hopelessly stage bound.

Interestingly Melford couldn't speak Spanish; but he did a few Spanish language pictures.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2014, 05:21:19 PM
"Tu m'as encore mis dans un beau pétrin" but I'm not sure if they said it themselves first and the dubbers just recycled it or if it's a dubber translation.
Need to check the Laurel & Hardy murder case in French to be sure.

Thanks, I never would have gotten that idiom.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on February 25, 2014, 03:14:21 PM
New Godzilla trailer: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/25/godzilla-trailer-2

:w00t:

That is a wholly unrealistic and incredibly unfair example of an aircraft carrier's short-range defensive capabilities.   :mad:

garbon

I don't understand. Why would we want Godzilla of all things to focus on looking realistic? Get me an overgrown lizard duking it out with a moth.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 09:34:20 PM
I don't understand. Why would we want Godzilla of all things to focus on looking realistic? Get me an overgrown lizard duking it out with a moth.
Looks like there are a few other monsters running around.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

It towers over skyscrapers, has that awful pre-70s tripod gait, has massive scales, and can somehow resist all known human weaponry.  I wouldn't call that realistic. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on February 25, 2014, 10:05:23 PM
It towers over skyscrapers, has that awful pre-70s tripod gait, has massive scales, and can somehow resist all known human weaponry.  I wouldn't call that realistic. 

I just meant the general vibe of the preview. Didn't seem particularly cheesy or campy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

That was the entire point of the original Godzilla.  The original Godzilla is straight-up horror. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."