News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

12 Years a Slave- Pretty good. Though reading the wikipedia article about the guy concerned they seem to skip a few things in the film. Like Solomon's time as an overseer.
Quite sad to read about how the guy later just dissappeared again. And amazing it would be so worthwhile to traffic one guy like that.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Be Big (1931)

Laurel  :bowler: and Hardy  :bowler: are planning to take their wives to Atlantic City on vacation; but just as their ready to leave the club calls Ollie and tells him he and Stan are to be honored at their club with a surprise stag party.  Hardy feigns illness, the wives leave, and as the boys put on their club uniforms Hardy puts on Laurel's boots by accident.  Hilarity ensues as he tries to take them off.

Stan really milks the gag of Ollie trying to take off his boots for all it's worth.  It is funny, but it could have used more variation.  "Sons of the Desert" released two years later has a similar premise, but is better done.

In those days there wasn't dubbing or subtitles; so Stan and Ollie did the film three times.  Once in English, then in Spanish and then in French.  They read their lines off of cue cards with the words written phonetically.  Say un o-tra bone ga-shee

Lucky Dog (1921)

This is Stan Laurel film which, coincidentally, co-stars his future partner Oliver Hardy.  Stan was Charlie Chaplin's backup when they were in the same theater troupe, and in this film he's largely a Chaplin knock-off.  Hardy played a caricature of film villains in those days; in this one he sticks up Stan and then tries to blow him up with dynamite (or "Bolshevik Candy" as it's euphemistically referred to in the film.)  It's not a Laurel and Hardy film (those wouldn't come about until 1927), but it is the first pairing of the two.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Prediction: Oscar snub for Cranston
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

I am embarrassingly excited by the Lego Movie :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Kleves on February 25, 2014, 03:14:21 PM
New Godzilla trailer: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/25/godzilla-trailer-2

:w00t:
I quite like the look of that.

Two quibbles:
1 - Not enough Jean Reno.
2 - Pseudo-Inception horn :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 25, 2014, 01:39:19 PM
Be Big (1931)
In those days there wasn't dubbing or subtitles; so Stan and Ollie did the film three times.  Once in English, then in Spanish and then in French.  They read their lines off of cue cards with the words written phonetically.  Say un o-tra bone ga-shee

Yes.  :yes: Later on, dubbing caught or was enforced by the State for political reasons (digression) but since French people were used to their accents the dubbers had to make a British-accented French dub.  :nerd:

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2014, 05:06:53 PM
Be Big (1931)

Yes.  :yes: Later on, dubbing caught or was enforced by the State for political reasons (digression) but since French people were used to their accents the dubbers had to make a British-accented French dub.  :nerd:

:lol:

How is Hardy's trademark line: "This is another fine mess you've gotten me into", translated in the French dubs?

celedhring

The Spanish-language version of Dracula (1931) is notoriously better than the original.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 25, 2014, 05:11:05 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 25, 2014, 05:06:53 PM
Be Big (1931)

:lol:

How is Hardy's trademark line: "This is another fine mess you've gotten me into", translated in the French dubs?

"Tu m'as encore mis dans un beau pétrin" but I'm not sure if they said it themselves first and the dubbers just recycled it or if it's a dubber translation.
Need to check the Laurel & Hardy murder case in French to be sure.