News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Also, the Hannibal soundtrack was used on the final scene in the last episode of Hannibal, which alone would justify the existence of that movie. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Dunno, I rarely buy those kind "it's bad *on purpose* arguments". Actually I think it takes itself too seriously given how ridiculous the film is, but it is over the top fun, and if you forget both Manhunter and Lambs. The brain eating scene's got to be one of the most perverse things ever shot in a Hollywood blockbuster.

Red Dragon remake was truly innecessary and - as with most things Rattner - bland and boring. I actually think it's the best book in the Hannibal series. But Manhunter is a fine film.

What's the consensus on the Hannibal series over here by the way? I think Mikkelsen is the only thing holding it. I mean, his character and the rest of the show seem to inhabit two completely different TV worlds. Take some Criminal Minds reject material and insert an amazing character that immediately realizes how stupidly dumb everybody and everything around him is and proceeds to own it just because he can.

Ideologue

Red Dragon is good and Hannibal (the movie) is good.

Speaking of Mr. Hit and Miss himself:

It says on the The Counselor blu-ray "unrated extended cut" rather than "director's cut," for reasons I don't understand--the commentary is on the extended cut, not the theatrical cut, which suggests it's Scott's preferred version; although perhaps were I to listen to it, I would find myself enlightened.

The cut reincludes what is easily the movie's shittiest scene--a bizarre, jokey bit with the biker, that seems to serve to vaguely humanize him or include him in the narrative proper, when he was ideal as just one more gear in the distant machine that was leading the actual characters to ruin.

Still, while it's thus slightly less "perfect," the longer cut is significantly better than the theatrical version, if for no other reason than through sheer quantity (it's just a delightfully obtuse picture).  But the quality of one highly key scene is improved immensely, though it was already wonderful.  Specifically, [spoiler]in the extended cut, you witness Brad Pitt's head falling off after his decaptiation by boledo.  And as this addresses my only serious complaint with the theatrical cut, I cannot help but be immensely pleased.  It's not too often that you get to squee with delight and surprise at the same scene twice, but then there's The Counselor.[/spoiler]  I cannot advise you, but it's still an A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on February 11, 2014, 11:39:25 PM
I meant the tv show.  Keep in mind, Hannibal is one of my favorite things ever, in the history of the universe. 

I think it might be hard for us to keep track of your favorite things ever. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Celed, I get where you are coming from, and like you, but think you are mistaken. A few reasons, with SEASON 1 SPOILERS:

1) Hannibal is actually pretty serious about it's depiction of mental illness and the psychological profession in a way traditional procedurals aren't. You can actually trace Will Graham's anti-MNDA receptor autoimmune encephalitis from the pilot (initial infection and autoimmune response breaking blood-brain barrier) to the finale (fever, lost time, hallucinations). There's really only one or two liberties taken with the disease for narrative purposes.
2) The show is fantastic looking and sounds fantastic. This despite being on a shoestring budget.
3) It's at heart a Horror show. Bryan Fuller (who also did the similarly fantastic Pushing Daisies) is unafraid of "purple prose" as he calls it. The show purposefully mixes some real psychiatry (anti-MNDA encephalitis) with some X-Files stuff (the angle maker) and Hannibal, who is pretty much Satan on the show.
4) The acting is fantastic. Dancy and Fishburne are wonderful, some of the guest actorrs are great (Demore Barnes as Tobias).
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

If there are spoilers [spoiler]SPOIL THEM![/spoiler]
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

@Sheilbh. Those are very mild spoilers, I wouldn't be too worried if you haven't watched the first season.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. Of course, I'm not knowledgeable enough to talk about the realism of the psychiatric angle of the show, but that doesn't worry too much; I usually only ask that the science aspects of a show be believable, not exact - I won't be able to tell anyway. But to me, the show goes too much for shock, pulp and artificial overbroughtness - something I already disliked in "Pushing Daisies"*, so you may argue I just don't like Fuller's style. I feel like he takes too much shortcuts (scriptwise and style-wise) to hammer his points instead of telling me a real story with real people. For example, Graham and Fishburne's character are way dumber than Hannibal. I get that he's got to be the one manipulating them, but they don't need to be so stupid and gullible - in particular when they are supposedly some damn smart men themselves. The show also uses Graham's problems too often as an excuse for him behaving like an idiot, undermining himself, and furthering the writers' goals. It's cheap.

Now, the cinematography is beautiful, Hannibal's character is amazing and excellently embodied by Mikkelsen. I get the sense he's the only character clearly defined in the writers' minds, and that's why he works so well. Everybody else is subservient to him and become just puppets. And that's the shows downfall, ultimately.

Please, understand my position here. It's clearly superior to most procedural stuff currently on air, just not a great show in my opinion.

*substitute "overbroughtness" by "whimsicalness" here.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 12, 2014, 12:36:06 PM
@Sheilbh. Those are very mild spoilers, I wouldn't be too worried if you haven't watched the first season.
Ah. Okay. I just skipped the post, enraged.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

I wrote it on my phone. Would be curious to get your take on the show, Sheilbh.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2014, 12:10:23 PM

Ok.  Through a combination of drugs and psychoanalysis, Hannibal finally brings the bad girl out in Will Graham, and they both retire to a life of globetrotting fugitives as lovers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on February 12, 2014, 02:34:28 PM

Ok.  Through a combination of drugs and psychoanalysis, Hannibal finally brings the bad girl out in Will Graham, and they both retire to a life of globetrotting fugitives as lovers.
I'm IN :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Also, I watched Spellbound (1945).  Or, Goofy Dream Interpretation: The Motion Picture.  But it's all right.  I liked it when Ingrid Bergman's symbolic orifices opened for the obviously mentally ill man.

B
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2014, 02:40:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 12, 2014, 02:34:28 PM

I'm IN :wub:
There's a super intense gay Hannibal fan base. Bryan Fuller is mad homo.

Queequeg

Quote from: Ideologue on February 12, 2014, 02:46:52 PM
Also, I watched Spellbound (1945).  Or, Goofy Dream Interpretation: The Motion Picture.  But it's all right.  I liked it when Ingrid Bergman's symbolic orifices opened for the obviously mentally ill man.

B
I thought this was unintentionally hilarious.n

Ideologue

Oh, I'm pretty sure it was intnentional. :D
Kinemalogue