And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on February 11, 2014, 07:42:19 PM
Watching The Apartment.  Shirley MacLaine :wub:

Brilliant film. One of my favorite bits of trivia is that Wilder took inspiration from Brief Encounter (another amazing film), having the serendipitous idea of making it about the guy that lends the apartment to the adulterous couple.

Queequeg

It's pretty close to my favorite movie.  Probably the only movie I've ever seen to get laughs out[spoiler] of a man trying to prevent the suicide of the woman he loves.[/spoiler]
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

It also manages to get big laughs out of a 60 year old man proposing a foursome.  It's so fucking perfect. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

I walked by the living room, and Mom's watching Red Dragon, the completely unnecessary Manhunter remake.  After watching about 7 minutes of it...Goddamn, what an awful movie.  Edward Norton is Jack's miscast Will Graham, Harvey Keitel is doing it for the beer money, and all I wanted was for Ray Fiennes to start shooting educated Jews, like Karl Marx.

And considering how well Mads Mikkelsen portrays Lecter on NBC, Anthony Hopkins simply comes across as boring.

I give it an F-.  Bonus negative points for 1) defacing Michael Mann's work, and 2) Mads Mikkelsen just makes this shit better.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I fell out of love with Hopkins Lecter in Hannibal. It just seemed like a dumb person's idea of a cultivated serial killer.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2014, 09:27:05 PM
I walked by the living room, and Mom's watching Red Dragon, the completely unnecessary Manhunter remake.  After watching about 7 minutes of it...Goddamn, what an awful movie.  Edward Norton is Jack's miscast Will Graham, Harvey Keitel is doing it for the beer money, and all I wanted was for Ray Fiennes to start shooting educated Jews, like Karl Marx.

And considering how well Mads Mikkelsen portrays Lecter on NBC, Anthony Hopkins simply comes across as boring.

I give it an F-.  Bonus negative points for 1) defacing Michael Mann's work, and 2) Mads Mikkelsen just makes this shit better.

Brett Ratner is the man!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on February 11, 2014, 09:32:01 PM
Brett Ratner is the man!

Rush Hour was funny, and he did a good job with Tower Heist (which was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be) and Horrible Bosses, but Red Dragon sucks dead donkey ABCs.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2014, 09:46:41 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 11, 2014, 09:32:01 PM
Brett Ratner is the man!

Rush Hour was funny, and he did a good job with Tower Heist (which was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be) and Horrible Bosses, but Red Dragon sucks dead donkey ABCs.

No disagreement on Red Dragon, but what did he have to do with Horrible Bosses?

CountDeMoney

I wiki'd it to see what he's done lately, turned out he was a producer.  :P  So fucking sue me, Mr. Industry Man.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2014, 10:18:10 PM
I wiki'd it to see what he's done lately, turned out he was a producer.  :P  So fucking sue me, Mr. Industry Man.

I wasn't shitting on you, i really didn't know he had any involvement with it.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2014, 09:29:45 PM
Yeah. I fell out of love with Hopkins Lecter in Hannibal. It just seemed like a dumb person's idea of a cultivated serial killer.
TBH it's actually hilarious that an intellectual property as mediocre as Hannibal Lecter has produced things as wonderful and varied as Hannibal, Manhunter and Silence of the Lambs. 

Sheilbh

True enough. Shows what decent directors and actors can do :)

Although I actually think Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs are decently written thrillers. Hannibal is awful though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

I meant the tv show.  Keep in mind, Hannibal is one of my favorite things ever, in the history of the universe. 

Queequeg

I kind of disagree with you on Hannibal.  I think it's self-consciously campy in most respects.  The faux-intelligence is to a certain extent by design.