News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

She's hot in Blow Out.

She also does some calisthenics in Carrie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on January 27, 2014, 08:44:43 PM
Perhaps.  I don't see it as necessarily a terrible thing though.  Nothing wrong with mining the IPs we have until they've been exhausted, unless they're done poorly (Total Recall, Carrie, Prometheus, and so on) or if the IPs suck (Twilight, The Hunger Games).  Some of the best films of the 21st century have been unoriginal, either remakes, sequels, or adaptations from a different medium.  (Hell, so were some of the best of the 20th.  Apocalypse Now, Lawrence of Arabia, The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, Carrie, The Thing, Soylent Green, The Wizard of Oz, Tape, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Goldfinger, Phantom of the Opera '25, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The General was based on historical events... the list is quite extensive).
There's nothing wrong with adaptations and sequels and reboots (though I'd distinguish them from Biblical/historic epics). And you're right that lots of them have been very good films. I'm not snobbish about them - unless Zack Snyder's involved - and I do enjoy them.

I just want a slightly more diverse set of films (or source materials). For example of the 10 biggest films last year only two aren't sequels (Frozen and Gravity). It's not that they're bad it's just overkill and I don't like that I can't go to the cinema because I've not seen the first film in a series yet :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2014, 05:57:48 PM
I can imagine a decent remake/reboot of Robocop. I'm just sad that the only recent original(-ish) blockbuster that springs to mind is Avatar.

I'm a bit baffled as to why someone would want to remake RoboCop. You can put it on today and it really is just as relevant as it was 20 odd years ago. Like Terminator you can still show it and it measure up. There is no pressing need to re-image it to make the story relevant or important to todays young'ins. The Special Effects were top of the line then and with the exception of the killer mecha none of the special effects were cgi, they were physical effects and as such were perfect and always will be.

Until I get convinced otherwise, this is just a case of "hey this is a franchise that people love, let us monetize our rights to this intellectual property".

If you want originality watch tv.

As for Originality in film - Pacific Rim, Elysium, Obvlivion all came out just recently in the sci fi field. I'd also say that the Hunger Games is original, the books have been out for less time than many scripts are in production.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on January 27, 2014, 09:00:36 PMI'm a bit baffled as to why someone would want to remake RoboCop. You can put it on today and it really is just as relevant as it was 20 odd years ago. Like Terminator you can still show it and it measure up. There is no pressing need to re-image it to make the story relevant or important to todays young'ins. The Special Effects were top of the line then and with the exception of the killer mecha none of the special effects were cgi, they were physical effects and as such were perfect and always will be.
That is true about the effects. The 70s Star Wars films look so much more convincing than the prequels.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Incidentally, I'm watching both Blow Out and Robocop right now. :)  I started watching each too late at night and had to go to bed halfway through, and then I picked up with a new film the next night instead of finishing it as I should. :blush:  Attributable to the fact that I went back to the closing-down video store and went bananas, buying 24 dvd's for $60.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2014, 08:31:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 27, 2014, 08:23:43 PM
Pacific Rim didn't succeed;

Maybe because it was crap.

It made shitloads of money in china.

QuoteIn September 2013, Forbes highlighted Pacific Rim as "the rare English-language film in history to cross $400 million while barely crossing $100 million domestic".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Nancy Allen and P.J. Soles were first crushes.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2014, 09:03:06 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 27, 2014, 09:00:36 PMI'm a bit baffled as to why someone would want to remake RoboCop. You can put it on today and it really is just as relevant as it was 20 odd years ago. Like Terminator you can still show it and it measure up. There is no pressing need to re-image it to make the story relevant or important to todays young'ins. The Special Effects were top of the line then and with the exception of the killer mecha none of the special effects were cgi, they were physical effects and as such were perfect and always will be.
That is true about the effects. The 70s Star Wars films look so much more convincing than the prequels.

Have to agree with you there.  Modern special effects just don't do anything for me.  It's like watching a cartoon.  I liked it better when they had models and stuntmen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

I watched Wolf of Wall Street. Didn't realized it was based on a true story. Anyways, best of the bunch. Liked it. (Had to watch it in two parts, though, couldn't sit still for three hours).
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on January 27, 2014, 10:21:02 PM
I watched Wolf of Wall Street. Didn't realized it was based on a true story. Anyways, best of the bunch. Liked it. (Had to watch it in two parts, though, couldn't sit still for three hours).

I heard on NPR the other day that some people are trying to organize a boycott of Wolf because it portrays Wall Street in too positive a light.

Your thoughts?

katmai

Not Wall Street per se, but the tactics and practices of Belfort (sic) and his ilk Mr. Yip.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

It is quite a glorification.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Capetan Mihali

Finished "Blow Out."  For all the intrigue about his personal life, it's easy to forget just what a hell of an actor Travolta is/was.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Just watched Life of Pi.  Mindboggling animal tricks/effects and a passable story.