News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2014, 05:57:48 PM
I can imagine a decent remake/reboot of Robocop. I'm just sad that the only recent original(-ish) blockbuster that springs to mind is Avatar.

Gravity.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on January 27, 2014, 07:19:28 PM
I can imagine a decent remake/reboot of Robocop. I'm just sad that the only recent original(-ish) blockbuster that springs to mind is Avatar.

Gravity.
Good one :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 06:49:27 PM
Wouldn't hurt to computer enhance the female sidekick's bad 80s hair.

Nobody...and I mean nobody...goofs on Nancy Allen's feathered and blow-dried bonnet of sumptuous '80s sensuality, full of body and bounce, and gets away with it.   :mad:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2014, 08:09:54 PM
Nobody...and I mean nobody...goofs on Nancy Allen's feathered and blow-dried bonnet of sumptuous '80s sensuality, full of body and bounce, and gets away with it.   :mad:

You really want me to sweep the legs, Captain Arthritis?

Much better 80s hair in Terminator I.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 08:12:37 PM

Bleech, Linda Hamilton...the '80s Hilary Swank.  Icky pooh.

I'm talking Nancy Allen in toto;  from The Last Detail to  1941 to Robocop to The Philadelphia Experiment, Nancy Allen's hair was one big hard-on factory.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2014, 08:05:52 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 27, 2014, 07:19:28 PM

Gravity.
Good one :w00t:

I couldn't think of another though. :Embarrass:

Pacific Rim didn't succeed; Oblivion was only a bit successful.

I assume you mean non-sequel, non-adaptation.  That narrows things down considerably...
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I wasn't making a value judgment.  I don't like that movie either.
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on January 27, 2014, 08:23:43 PM
I assume you mean non-sequel, non-adaptation.  That narrows things down considerably...
Yep. Then look at films in the year Robocop was released, they're not all classics but it looks a bit more original/diverse:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_in_film

Edit: Incidentally I haven't seen Pacific Rim but I think it did really well internationally.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Perhaps.  I don't see it as necessarily a terrible thing though.  Nothing wrong with mining the IPs we have until they've been exhausted, unless they're done poorly (Total Recall, Carrie, Prometheus, and so on) or if the IPs suck (Twilight, The Hunger Games).  Some of the best films of the 21st century have been unoriginal, either remakes, sequels, or adaptations from a different medium.  (Hell, so were some of the best of the 20th.  Apocalypse Now, Lawrence of Arabia, The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, Carrie, The Thing, Soylent Green, The Wizard of Oz, Tape, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Goldfinger, Phantom of the Opera '25, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The General was based on historical events... the list is quite extensive).

And, yes, katmai, I know Oblivion is technically an "adaptation," of Joe Kosinski's own, afaik unpublished comic book. :P
Kinemalogue

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2014, 08:19:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2014, 08:12:37 PM

Bleech, Linda Hamilton...the '80s Hilary Swank.  Icky pooh.

I'm talking Nancy Allen in toto;  from The Last Detail to  1941 to Robocop to The Philadelphia Experiment, Nancy Allen's hair was one big hard-on factory.

Gotta agree with the Seedster...Nancy Allen's short hair accentuated her spunky sexiness in Robocop.

Eddie Teach

:lol:

I love how you tried to hide Tape in that list of AFI classics.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2014, 08:36:19 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 27, 2014, 08:23:43 PM

Edit: Incidentally I haven't seen Pacific Rim but I think it did really well internationally.

It certainly did a lot better.  Worldwide receipts may actually justify the budget and get Del Toro a sequel.

But then it won't be original. :o

:P
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2014, 08:46:44 PM
:lol:

I love how you tried to hide Tape in that list of AFI classics.

It's based on a play. :goodboy:

Rope is also. -_-
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 27, 2014, 08:45:28 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2014, 08:19:56 PM

Gotta agree with the Seedster...Nancy Allen's short hair accentuated her spunky sexiness in Robocop.

Totally forgot Dressed To Kill.  Yowza.