News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 06, 2014, 03:13:18 PM
I distinctly recall from a number of things that Roddenberry had written as concepts for TNG, that he was pretty much a dirty old raging pervert (i.e Dr Crusher was supposed to walk like a stripper, and the Ferengi were supposed to have enormous cod-pieces).

For the most part, Star Trek got better as it got further away from Roddenberry's hands.

Mind you now it's in no-one's hands, and that hasn't helped it either. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I distinctly recall from a number of things that Roddenberry had written as concepts for TNG, that he was pretty much a dirty old raging pervert (i.e Dr Crusher was supposed to walk like a stripper, and the Ferengi were supposed to have enormous cod-pieces).

Well, Denise Crosby said that was one of the issues for her - production staff (I think Roddenberry) suggested that if she wanted more screen time she should stick out her ass and tits more.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2014, 03:24:15 PM
For the most part, Star Trek got better as it got further away from Roddenberry's hands.

Speaking of The Trek, how did the offspring indoctrination go?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2014, 03:35:51 PM

Speaking of The Trek, how did the offspring indoctrination go?

Kids are definitely still too young.  Not that there's anything in Star Trek that would scar them, but it just wouldn't hold any interest for a three year old.

Savonarola

On that subject, why does Counselor Troi's uniform look different than every other uniform in Star Fleet?  Do her psychic powers not work unless her cleavage is exposed, or did the Patriarchy finally triumph and dictate that all women with greater than C-cups must wear low cut shirts.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on January 06, 2014, 03:54:44 PM

On that subject, why does Counselor Troi's uniform look different than every other uniform in Star Fleet?  Do her psychic powers not work unless her cleavage is exposed, or did the Patriarchy finally triumph and dictate that all women with greater than C-cups must wear low cut shirts.

What's amusing is if you look at some of the background characters in the early TNG episodes, in order to somehow justify the short skirts on some female characters, some of the male characters wore short skirts (or maybe skorts) as well. :lol:

They quickly got rid of the male skirts, while the female ones remained.

For the most part though Troi just managed to get away with wearing civillian clothes while on duty.

The Brain

Space Picton.

Edit: Wait, use this one instead: Science Picton.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on January 06, 2014, 03:31:19 PM

Well, Denise Crosby said that was one of the issues for her - production staff (I think Roddenberry) suggested that if she wanted more screen time she should stick out her ass and tits more.

I concur.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 06, 2014, 05:59:57 PM
She was no prize.

I concur.  Star Trek: the management trainee series could have a done a lot better in the eye candy category.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on January 06, 2014, 03:54:44 PM
being a counselor, she felt her patients would feel more at ease with her if she wasn't wearing a formal military uniform.  It's not strickly regulatory, but I think Worf wears some Klingon belt in TNG (for sure in DS9) and that's against regulations, just as the earring is for Bajoran Federation officers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

I don't recall her wearing low cut tshirts. In the first couple seasons she wore very short skirts but then later sort of switched to this tight jump suit thingie.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

I liked it when they put Troi into a proper uniform.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman have hands.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Pinocchio arrived today from Britain.  It was sold as region free; the box and the disc are stamped with the region free, "ABC," logo; guess what it is not? <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)