News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on December 31, 2013, 01:06:23 PM
Christ, IDeo - how many words did you type out on a movie that came out 21 months ago??? :bleeding:

I think he was better off putting his reviews here where he knew he had to rein in the excess a little.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Will Farrell needs to fall into a wood chipper.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Ed Anger's Penis needs to fall into a wood chipper, 22 kids is enough!!!1
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on December 31, 2013, 06:00:15 PM

Jelly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on December 31, 2013, 01:06:23 PM
Christ, IDeo - how many words did you type out on a movie that came out 21 months ago??? :bleeding:

OK, maybe you have a point, because it turns out it's around 5600, including footnotes and captions.  I thought it was more like 3000. -_-  Well, the movie is culturally, historically, or aesthetically important.

Will endeavor to tighten in future. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 31, 2013, 06:01:23 PM
Quote from: katmai on December 31, 2013, 06:00:15 PM

Jelly.

Is what all of Ed Anger's bastard children can only afford to eat :cry:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Ed has been pretty chipper lately. :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

47 Ronin (2013).  A lethargic if occasionally lovely slog through the legend of the forty-seven ronin, as tarted up by $175 million worth of Hollywood fantasy, and even though I know that I'm supposed to be totally offended by that, the fanciful nonsense parts are also by a huge margin the best parts.

The day Hawaii bombed Japan

(It's way less than 5600 words.  I think less than 2000.)

C+

P.S. :wub: I also really liked the costumes, but--

Quoteunfortunately, they stop being samurai, start being ronin, and might as well start wearing potato sacks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on December 31, 2013, 04:37:01 AM
That one took a while.  I've been sort of noodling on it for what seems like two or three weeks.

Of Mars and men

I've uprated it as a result of the last couple of watches, basically by the dint of wanting to watch it four times in a year: John Carter is an A.

While John Carter OF MARS wasn't as bad as it is presented as being it certainly isn't good. It was always going to have many of the same problems a wonder woman movie will have (and casablanca has to modern viewers), how can the trope-namer be considered interesting or relevant when the movie comes out decades after the trope went mainstream?

It was an ok adaptation which contorted itself not to seem dated (which it is ffs) and failed to be relevant while ceasing to be coherent. The "people" of Barsoom are persons and characters and CGI does not do them justice in any way. Andy Serkis needs to be cloned, or at least teach actors how to do what he does.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Viking's just pissed because the Martians had some sort of religion.  John Carter was a great movie.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

While I don't disagree that Andy Serkis is probably the best he is at what he does, Dafoe is a boss actor in any scenario.

Also, have the Wonder Woman tropes been mainstream for as long as you think?  50 Shades of Gray is a pretty recent phenomenon.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

And in seriousness, only two female superheroes with even close to marquee names have ever had movies made about them, and those were the cheap, unfaithful knockoffs that I understand Catwoman and Elektra were.  Also, the only straight-up fantasy/superhero hybrid to mix gods and metahumans is Thor (and its sequel).  I think a straight Wonder Woman movie would cover some pretty fresh ground (as would an Aquaman movie, which I'm a lot more excited about, even if a Namor movie would be better).
Kinemalogue

Grey Fox

Viking's just needs to stop reading books before seeing movie adaptation. He always comes with too much bagage, too many expectations.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.