News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I'm really not.  All those movies, except maybe Peter Pan, are about a character's alienation from one's own body and either changing the body or changing one's perception of it.

Pinnocchio: title character wants to be a "real boy," instead of a godless abomination.

Dumbo: title character is cursed with a birth defect, and becomes the subject of scorn and self-loathing.  Possible interpretation of the film: Dumbo goes into an alcoholic coma and the rest of the film is a wish-fulfilling dream.

The Little Mermaid: c'mon.

Beauty and the Beast: Beast is cursed with special makeup effects by Rick Baker.

Hunchback of Notre Dame: Ugly dude learns that being ugly doesn't make you evil, and doesn't mean you can't have friends, it just means that you'll never be truly loved.  Comes to hate self and hallucinate slightly less.

Mulan: cannot properly honor her father with her vagina, dons men's clothing.  Learns that sometimes exceptions are made and is not executed for being a woman.  Goes home, at peace with her place in society thanks to seeing what man's world is like.

Tarzan: finds it difficult to be accepted into ape family due to being a different species.  Forms the foundation of the character.

Frozen: kills her sister with her Dumboesque birth defect, in this case uncontrollable cryokinesis.

Hercules: man of steel, world of kleenex.  I assume he broke Meg's spine after the credits rolled like it was the 2+2 scene from Les Particules Elementaires.

Peter Pan: afraid of his own pubes.

I'll also add Snow White and the Seven Dwarves: lady gets old, comes to hate a young woman for being hot like she once was.  Decides to change her perception by removing the possibility of a comparison.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 01:43:25 AM
The Little Mermaid: c'mon.

Mulan: cannot properly honor her father with her vagina, dons men's clothing.  Learns that sometimes exceptions are made and is not executed for being a woman.  Goes home, at peace with her place in society thanks to seeing what man's world is like.

Hercules: man of steel, world of kleenex.  I assume he broke Meg's spine after the credits rolled like it was the 2+2 scene from Les Particules Elementaires.

1 -  She was of a superior magical race, becoming human is a down grade.

2 - She goes home at peace with herself because she's a national hero, not because she's accepting her place in society as a woman.

3 - If Zeus manages it without any spine snapping, than sure Hercules can to.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

1.  You're literalizing it.  It's not a science fiction movie with a coherent world; it works only as well as it has to for its story to read.  It's an allegory about sexual awakening.  C'mon.

2: If Mulan cared about being a national hero, which she doesn't, she'd have stayed in Beijing.  She's pretty traditionally-minded.  It's odd that the one ordinarily pointed out as Disney's most feminist heroine is probably, really, its least avowedly so (well, of the post-'89 crop anyway).  She has no overt program.  She loves her dad.  She doesn't really like being in the army.  She eventually comes to want to bang a hot dude (specifically, the one that treated her most like shit).  She does not care about gender inequality except when it conflicts with her specific goals.

3: OK, but in the movie Hercules destroys shit through awkwardness for like forty-five minutes.  And, yes, it is hilarious.  As a grown-up he's better.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 02:16:42 AM
2: If Mulan cared about being a national hero, which she doesn't, she'd have stayed in Beijing.  She's pretty traditionally-minded.  It's odd that the one ordinarily pointed out as Disney's most feminist heroine is probably, really, its least avowedly so (well, of the post-'89 crop anyway).  She has no overt program.  She loves her dad.  She doesn't really like being in the army.  She eventually comes to want to bang a hot dude (specifically, the one that treated her most like shit).  She does not care about gender inequality except when it conflicts with her specific goals.
:contract:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulan_II
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I only treat with Teh Canon.  Next you'll be directing me to some obscure event in Kingdom Hearts.

But, yes, I am familiar somewhat with Mulan II: She Changed China Apparently.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 02:36:47 AM
Next you'll be directing me to some obscure event in Kingdom Hearts.

Random Hearts was better.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 02:43:35 AM
The band Heart was best.

The best band? That's going too far. Best band with a chick singer? Maybe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

TCM recently showed a Korean film (Memories of Murder), which looks really interesting...but totally failed on the subtitles, which are either infrequent, or cut off of the bottom of the screen.  :mad:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 01:43:25 AM
I'll also add Snow White and the Seven Dwarves: lady gets old, comes to hate a young woman for being hot like she once was.  Decides to change her perception by removing the possibility of a comparison.

Disney used to teach kids actual lessons about real life...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Judge Dredd is on. I'm going to give it a go.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2013, 04:08:54 PM

Watch Dredd instead.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on December 10, 2013, 04:17:19 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2013, 04:08:54 PM

Watch Dredd instead.
I've seen Dredd. Liked it a lot.

I've also just seen Rob Schneider and realised life's too short. Way too fucking short for this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

I liked him when he was giving people nicknames.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 10, 2013, 01:30:16 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 01:03:44 AM

Query: how many canonical Disney films are about some form of body dysmorphia, sometimes even amounting to body horror?  Pinocchio, Dumbo, the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, Tarzan, Frozen, the first half of Hercules, and Peter Pan if you read into it a bit... and that's just off the top of my head.  Tangled also possibly, but I haven't seen it; as far as I can tell Rapunzel isn't repulsed by her own hair.
You're reaching there.

No, I see it.  I hadn't thought about it, be he has a point.  I never saw Mulan Tarzan or Frozen though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017