News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

On my quest to watch movies I know I'll be annoyed about comes Olympus Has Fallen. Gerard Butler is bad ass, but the vast number of people being shot is unfortunately not enough to cover for the inconceivability and the cliches.

The "how do you know his name" reveal has never been done worse or more obvious. And the following repent scene was.. well.

2  motorcades should drive according to weather conditions out of 10.

Chrome gets 10 out of 10 for correcting Gerald to Gerard.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

It's Die Hard for the 21st Century will an unlikeable actor as the Hero.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

The Hobbit. I liked it a lot :)

I absolutely loved Barry Humphries :wub:

Edit: Frankly it was nice to discover that Barry Humphries is still alive....:blush:

Humphries on the film: 'It was thrilling to work on this film and when you see my extraordinary interpretation you realise why I immediately fell into the arms of Jenny Craig, and minor cosmetic surgery. I always thought motion capture was something you did when you were taking a specimen at the doctor.' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

So far Always Sunny has stumbled horribly more than it has triumphed this season. Has the group run out of steam?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on October 17, 2013, 07:05:23 PM
I heard that Carrie doesn't even have the great opening sequence of the original. :(

You heard right.  Also, Chloe Grace Moretz is 15.  You monster.

That said, it's the first indication of how terribly more milquetoast it is than the original, and that is basically a one-sentence review of the entire film.

It's not bad-bad, but I had a really, really hard time trying to view it outside its context as a remake, a task made more difficult by the fact it's 96% the same movie, except not half as well-shot, well-acted, well-shot, well-constructed, or well-shot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2013, 07:02:17 PM
Watched an episode of MacGyver. Thought it was something the Simpsons had made up. It's not.

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

She is 16 1/2!

Not that I'm counting. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Watched an episode of MacGyver. Thought it was something the Simpsons had made up. It's not.
:mellow:

It was one of the biggest hits of the 80s.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

:lol:
Yeah, me too,  I stumbled on the real thing a fair few years ago though.
This has been quite a common occurance in my life actually, learning about things from secondary media first and then encountering the real thing, particularly common with the Simpsons. Lots of horror movies were spoiled for me by the Simpsons.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2013, 10:00:13 AM
:lol:
Yeah, me too,  I stumbled on the real thing a fair few years ago though.
This has been quite a common occurance in my life actually, learning about things from secondary media first and then encountering the real thing, particularly common with the Simpsons. Lots of horror movies were spoiled for me by the Simpsons.

I guess this happens to every non-american watcher of the Simpsons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 18, 2013, 01:00:42 AM
:mellow:

It was one of the biggest hits of the 80s.

Viewing patterns may be different in the UK.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

I'd certainly never heard of it until the Simpsons and not sure if it was ever shown here in the old days. .

Sure it is now that there are a gazillion channels.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on October 18, 2013, 12:57:11 AM
She is 16 1/2!

Not that I'm counting. :P

You've probably had drinks with her, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Gups on October 18, 2013, 10:27:50 AM
I'd certainly never heard of it until the Simpsons and not sure if it was ever shown here in the old days. .

Sure it is now that there are a gazillion channels.

In the 80s you had 3-4 hours of coal mining on the telly every night, right?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.