And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 01:22:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2013, 12:56:45 PM
[spoiler]The original deal did not allow him the freedom to leave the US on his own personal jet, allowing him to travel where and when he wants to do whatever he wants.  That just makes no sense.[/spoiler]
It doesn't make any sense that the FBI #1 on their most wanted list would surrender, get an immunity deal and give them info on a bunch of criminals that no one knows about but he does without never having met them.

Agreed.  That is what the hook was for me.  I wondered how they would explain all of that.  The fact that they simply avoided the issue creates the problem.  Garbon identified the problem after the first show but I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt that a credible story would evolve.  But it hasnt.

[spoiler]It turns out Garbon was right that the only reason Spader is doing this is because she is in fact his daughter.  Very dissappointing[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2013, 01:36:43 PM
I think the only shred of plausibility the show has lies in Spader's performance. He knows he's an international criminal and has a list of Bond villains he wants to take down, so you're tempted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That would be a better show.  Then we wouldnt have to have the silliness of the profiler.

viper37

We're 4 episodes in.  You,re as impatient as a child :P
I'd say we wait 10-12 episodes, then we judge how it's going.  :)

[spoiler]It turns out Garbon was right that the only reason Spader is doing this is because she is in fact his daughter.  Very dissappointing[/spoiler]

[spoiler]We do not know that for sure yet.  I thought of this too at the first episode, but then I think there's something else to the story.  What's with the weird man watching her (or her boyfriend), having installed all those cameras?  Also, why would he do that for his daughter?  He's been the absent father for all her life, just watching from a distance making sure nothing bad happens, but suddenly, he wants to take an active role, coming out of the shadows?  That's a little strange.  Or maybe there's something else to the man that wasn't revealed.  Didn't they say he was a highly place US Navy officer before he went criminal?  What would explain this?[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/liz-daughter-red-idea-blacklist-megan-moore-article-1.1475741

QuoteNo idea if Liz is Red's daughter, says 'The Blacklist's' Megan Boone

Megan Boone, who co-stars with James Spader on the new NBC thriller "The Blacklist," says she doesn't know the relationship between her character and Spader's — though it seems like he might be her father.

"(We) are going to have to justify the oddly paternal feelings that he has for her," Boone told IGN.

"But as you know, you can develop paternal and maternal feelings for anyone in your life, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a daughter or a son," the actress added. She plays a young FBI analyst, Elizabeth Keen, on whom Spader's supercriminal, Raymond (Red) Reddington, is fixated.

"So there are definitely some paternal feelings in the pilot that we're going to have to justify later. It may be that, and it may be something else," Boone said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Captain Philips

Ed review: stupid skinnies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Episode 4 of Season 3 of Person of Interest, without a doubt the best one so far. I was genuinely bamboozled by this one. It was such a total change of rythm, tempo and morality even.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2013, 01:42:53 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2013, 12:00:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 11:54:44 AM
wasn't Hannibal on NBC too?

Hannibal and Parks and Rec are good, but most of their stuff is crap.

Imho, i felt Hannibal has been the best network drama in years;  a little over the top in some places, but Milks Milkingtonsven or whoever he is was a superb Lecter by the very definition of Harris' books.  It was worth it solely to watch him.
And to see that Scully is still hot as shit.
The Americans was also fantastic, but probably the best non-cable drama in a very long time.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Smash & Grab - The Story of the Pink Panthers. 

Interesting documentary about the gang of jewel thieves.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

It should've been a big weekend as far as big movies go.

You've got 12 Years a Slave (fuck yeah!), Escape Plan (fuuuck yeah!), and Carrie (ugh).

Guess which isn't coming out here at all, and which I get to see first because of friendly obligations. -_-

Christ, of all the great horror movies I've seen from the 70s that have been remade, Carrie is the only one that I actually really loved.  I'd rather they remade Taxi Driver.  I'd sure as hell would rather they remade your precious Conversation or French Connection.  It's gonna be bullshit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I need to do my annual watching of the Masque of the Red Death and Witchfinder General
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2013, 03:54:00 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/liz-daughter-red-idea-blacklist-megan-moore-article-1.1475741

QuoteNo idea if Liz is Red's daughter, says 'The Blacklist's' Megan Boone

Megan Boone, who co-stars with James Spader on the new NBC thriller "The Blacklist," says she doesn't know the relationship between her character and Spader's — though it seems like he might be her father.

"(We) are going to have to justify the oddly paternal feelings that he has for her," Boone told IGN.

"But as you know, you can develop paternal and maternal feelings for anyone in your life, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a daughter or a son," the actress added. She plays a young FBI analyst, Elizabeth Keen, on whom Spader's supercriminal, Raymond (Red) Reddington, is fixated.

"So there are definitely some paternal feelings in the pilot that we're going to have to justify later. It may be that, and it may be something else," Boone said.
yeah, there's something to this show that will keep me there for a while.

Revolution, on the other hand, is totally stupid.  Al-Queida&Cubans posing as Americans, now?  Yet, I'm still watching it.  Don't know why.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on October 17, 2013, 03:02:07 PM
Revolution, on the other hand, is totally stupid.  Al-Queida&Cubans posing as Americans, now?  Yet, I'm still watching it.  Don't know why.

Is it because of the hottie with the crossbow?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Watched an episode of MacGyver. Thought it was something the Simpsons had made up. It's not.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

I heard that Carrie doesn't even have the great opening sequence of the original. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011