News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 16, 2013, 09:43:16 AM
The Wife is recording The Blacklist, we've been watching that, pretty good for a NBC show. James Spader's character is pretty bad ass.

I enjoyed the first two episodes.  I didnt like the last two.  It has become too formulaic and completely unbelievable [spoiler]the FBI and CIA are allowing Spader's character to fly offshore to sell weapons?  Really?[/spoiler] I now think that Garbon was correct in his original assessment of the show.  I will give it another week or two but if it keeps going this way it will lose me.

viper37

The Wife is recording The Blacklist, we've been watching that, pretty good for a NBC show. James Spader's character is pretty bad ass.
wasn't Hannibal on NBC too?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2013, 11:34:14 AM

I enjoyed the first two episodes.  I didnt like the last two.  It has become too formulaic and completely unbelievable [spoiler]the FBI and CIA are allowing Spader's character to fly offshore to sell weapons?  Really?[/spoiler] I now think that Garbon was correct in his original assessment of the show.  I will give it another week or two but if it keeps going this way it will lose me.

[spoiler]
Not really.  of course, there's the thing about maintaining his cover.  It's his perception of things.  But most important is, the CIA and FBI will do it all the time with informant, let them commit smaller crimes, or sell weapons to specific groups.  It's not like the US and France are selling their weapons directly to end consumers...
It ain't that much of a stretch to figure they can let him sell weapons to some people who don't represent a clear and present danger to US interests while he keeps feeding them info on bigger fishes.[/spoiler]

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 11:54:44 AM

Hannibal and Parks and Rec are good, but most of their stuff is crap.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 11:57:41 AM

[spoiler]
Not really.  of course, there's the thing about maintaining his cover.  It's his perception of things.  But most important is, the CIA and FBI will do it all the time with informant, let them commit smaller crimes, or sell weapons to specific groups.  It's not like the US and France are selling their weapons directly to end consumers...
It ain't that much of a stretch to figure they can let him sell weapons to some people who don't represent a clear and present danger to US interests while he keeps feeding them info on bigger fishes.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The problem is that is not how they wrote it.  The female lead is supposed to be his handler and neither she nor anyone else knows where he is or what he is doing most of the time.  That is what makes it unbelievable. [/spoiler]

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2013, 12:11:45 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 11:57:41 AM

[spoiler]

[spoiler]The problem is that is not how they wrote it.  The female lead is supposed to be his handler and neither she nor anyone else knows where he is or what he is doing most of the time.  That is what makes it unbelievable. [/spoiler]

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

She's not really the handler per see.  She's just the person he wants to talk to exclusively.  As for the rest:
[spoiler]well, we don't know that no ones knows about his activity.  We don't know the full deal between him and the FBI either.[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 12:54:13 PM
[spoiler]free movement is part of his conditions, IIRC.  Never sleep twice at the same place, having his bodyguards, etc, etc[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The original deal did not allow him the freedom to leave the US on his own personal jet, allowing him to travel where and when he wants to do whatever he wants.  That just makes no sense.[/spoiler]

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2013, 12:56:45 PM
[spoiler]The original deal did not allow him the freedom to leave the US on his own personal jet, allowing him to travel where and when he wants to do whatever he wants.  That just makes no sense.[/spoiler]
It doesn't make any sense that the FBI #1 on their most wanted list would surrender, get an immunity deal and give them info on a bunch of criminals that no one knows about but he does without never having met them.

Eddie Teach

I think the only shred of plausibility the show has lies in Spader's performance. He knows he's an international criminal and has a list of Bond villains he wants to take down, so you're tempted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The other characters show much of the same skepticism the audience does.

lustindarkness

Why are you guys trying to make sense of a tv show?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2013, 01:36:43 PM
I think the only shred of plausibility the show has lies in Spader's performance. He knows he's an international criminal and has a list of Bond villains he wants to take down, so you're tempted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The other characters show much of the same skepticism the audience does.
the other characters aren't that interesting.  The actress playing Liz isn't extraordinary for now.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 01:39:49 PM
the other characters aren't that interesting.  The actress playing Liz isn't extraordinary for now.

The husband is potentially interesting, assuming he's some kind of spy and Spader didn't plant the documents.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2013, 12:00:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 11:54:44 AM

Hannibal and Parks and Rec are good, but most of their stuff is crap.

Imho, i felt Hannibal has been the best network drama in years;  a little over the top in some places, but Milks Milkingtonsven or whoever he is was a superb Lecter by the very definition of Harris' books.  It was worth it solely to watch him.
And to see that Scully is still hot as shit.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on October 16, 2013, 01:22:05 PM
It doesn't make any sense that the FBI #1 on their most wanted list would surrender, get an immunity deal and give them info on a bunch of criminals that no one knows about but he does without never having met them.

When I get past that bit of suspension of disbelief the show is fun. I like the reddington character since he obviously is carrying on his business for his own purposes while he is cooperating. His cooperation is obviously related to some big secret related to the profiler chick. I'm in and will stay in as long as there is some progress in revealing secrets (I'm worried this might end up like lost) and if the writers find some plausible way of dealing with the issue of red never actually answering a question and the feds casually drawing their own conclusions.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.