News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 11:42:57 AM
Yeah, I really can't think of another television drama that was done so well, from story to acting to continuity.  The Shield almost got there, but didn't carry to the end as strong, and never managed to stay as tight, or have such good acting.

Homicide: Life On The Street is probably a distant 2nd for me.  BB is probably the best television work ever done.

someone clearly hasn't watched the wire :contract:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Breaking Bad > The Wire. No contest.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I've not seen enough of Breaking Bad to make a fully informed judgement (maybe six episodes), but I still put The Sopranos a notch above.

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2013, 02:31:39 PM

No contest?  I don't know about that.  I think Breaking Bad is the better show, on the whole, but The Wire is still in the uppermost tier.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2013, 02:32:39 PM
I've not seen enough of Breaking Bad to make a fully informed judgement (maybe six episodes), but I still put The Sopranos a notch above.

Mid-to-Late Breaking Bad (post season 2) > Early Sopranos > Early Breaking Bad > Late Sopranos
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

IDK about that.  The Livia plotline doesn't always totally work, and I think BB's plots got a little convoluted near the end.  I lost some of my respect for the show with the flower-shot at the end of season 4.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on October 15, 2013, 02:33:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2013, 02:31:39 PM

No contest?  I don't know about that.  I think Breaking Bad is the better show, on the whole, but The Wire is still in the uppermost tier.

The Sopranos was one of those I was thinking about when I said "great".

There are a few shows in the Sopranos realm. Breaking Bad is a cut above them, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

I finished all the Breaking Bad episodes on Netflix.  After a while I got hooked on watching the train wreck that was his life.  Now I have to wait for the final episodes to come out on Netflix.

Malthus

Snuck off to see Gravity on the weekend. I enjoyed it - I liked the way they stripped the plot down. One criticsm though was that the plot suffered from a certain amount of relentless cliff-hanging ... every situation the heroine was in was guaranteed to be a 'just-in-time' thing, which became almost funny by the end.

[spoiler] Even when she gets to Earth. When the capsule splashes down, she nearly drowns. I half expected her to be chased by sharks to the shore. Or when she totters to her feet, to discover some Taliban dude staring at her, and she ends up running for her life. [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2013, 03:13:19 PM
Snuck off to see Gravity on the weekend. I enjoyed it - I liked the way they stripped the plot down. One criticsm though was that the plot suffered from a certain amount of relentless cliff-hanging ... every situation the heroine was in was guaranteed to be a 'just-in-time' thing, which became almost funny by the end.

[spoiler] Even when she gets to Earth. When the capsule splashes down, she nearly drowns. I half expected her to be chased by sharks to the shore. Or when she totters to her feet, to discover some Taliban dude staring at her, and she ends up running for her life. [/spoiler]

Kind of like reading A Game of Thrones.  The first couple of times things go horribly wrong the reader is shocked but then it becomes obvious that everytime something could go horribly wrong it will.

Sheilbh

I need to watch Breaking Bad :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Habbaku on October 15, 2013, 11:22:19 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2013, 09:27:30 AM
This looks interesting....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Da3EgZUA0Y

If only it weren't by the same director as the horrid 9th Company, I'd be more excited.

Russian subtitles took a fair bit of liberty with the translation.

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2013, 05:14:16 PM
Quote from: katmai on October 15, 2013, 02:24:16 PM

someone clearly hasn't watched the wire :contract:

You are UNCANNY.

I think at this point, he never can (even if he wanted to)...it would destroy the paradigm.