News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

That is shockingly less than I imagined.  20.50 $NYC?  That's like five bucks here.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Believe it or not, they use the same currency as us.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2013, 11:40:50 PM
Believe it or not, they use the same currency as us.  :P

With our next mayor, we may prefer Euros as more fungible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Saw machete 2. Fun movie and good for what it is.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

This is rather cool. I guess Tony binged watched all seasons.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/anthony-hopkins-sent-brian-cranston-and-the-cast-of-breaking

QuoteSir Anthony Hopkins sent Bryan Cranston a fan letter after binge-watching all "six seasons" of Breaking Bad over the span of two weeks. Hopkins' publicist confirmed to BuzzFeed that the letter was genuine and sent by the actor himself.

QuoteAnthony Hopkins Sent Bryan Cranston And The Cast Of "Breaking Bad" A Fan Letter

"Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen — ever."   

Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this email - so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber - I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I've just finished a marathon of watching "BREAKING BAD" - from episode one of the First Season - to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular - absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers.... every department - casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to - would you pass on my admiration to everyone - Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada - everyone - everyone gave master classes of performance ... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

That is (that over used word) awesome.

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2013, 09:27:30 AM
This looks interesting....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Da3EgZUA0Y

If only it weren't by the same director as the horrid 9th Company, I'd be more excited.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on October 15, 2013, 11:08:49 AM
This is rather cool. I guess Tony binged watched all seasons.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/anthony-hopkins-sent-brian-cranston-and-the-cast-of-breaking

With that endorsement down I guess I should start watching the show now?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

I'm waiting on the Box set. Release is scheduled for 26 November. I have not seen a single episode.  :o

I like watching good series like that. Gives much better continuity IMO and makes the story better. I watched BoB, BSG, Deadwood, and GoT 1&2
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

I have yet to watch it.

I did get the 3 seasons of Walking Dead, I'll start watching those today, I hope to catch up by the end of this season.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

Breaking Bad is simply exceptional. To say it is great almost does it a disservice, since it puts in the same category as other television shows that are "great". But it is something beyond that.

I hope it has raised the bar for what is possible in intelligent, adult drama. I hope it is the first of many where the focus is on great story and craftmanship, rather than "How do we extend our show for as long as possible in order to generate as much ad revenue as possible?"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2013, 11:29:24 AM
Breaking Bad is simply exceptional. To say it is great almost does it a disservice, since it puts in the same category as other television shows that are "great". But it is something beyond that.

I hope it has raised the bar for what is possible in intelligent, adult drama. I hope it is the first of many where the focus is on great story and craftmanship, rather than "How do we extend our show for as long as possible in order to generate as much ad revenue as possible?"

That's good to hear. That set has a pretty price tag when it comes out on the 26 Nov.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I really can't think of another television drama that was done so well, from story to acting to continuity.  The Shield almost got there, but didn't carry to the end as strong, and never managed to stay as tight, or have such good acting.

Homicide: Life On The Street is probably a distant 2nd for me.  BB is probably the best television work ever done.