News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Oh look, Ideologue's talking out of his ass again and garbon's being bitchy at the end of the bar.

garbon

So you think Zemeckis is a household name?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2013, 07:21:32 AM

Probably next to the same dumpster they pulled the one for Shakespeare In Love from.
Shakespeare in Love's a cracking romantic comedy. It really, really deserved best writer.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 07:35:55 AM

If you've been paying attention to movies for the last 30 years, yeah.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2013, 07:26:00 AM
You only think Zemeckis has been treated as a footnote and has never really been part of the "great directors" conversation because you were 12 in 1994.

I think Alfred Hitchcock has never really been part of the "great directors" conversation because he died when I was 10.  So there.

Yeah, that's what I said.

I think probably the best comparison would be Spielberg.  Spielberg gets talked about and his films referenced constantly.  Zemeckis gets a fraction of the attention, and is referenced less frequently.  And compare his reputation to that of Scorsese, Cameron, or Scott (well, Ridley anyway) and I think you'll see I have a point.

Who goes nuts over Zemeckis the way they do over those guys?  Even when his body of work is better than half of them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2013, 07:37:02 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2013, 07:21:32 AM

Probably next to the same dumpster they pulled the one for Shakespeare In Love from.
Shakespeare in Love's a cracking romantic comedy. It really, really deserved best writer.

Eh, it's okay.  Sort of.

Whatever happened to Joseph Fiennes anyway?  I guess he's on TV.  Alright.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2013, 07:39:10 AM

I think probably the best comparison would be Spielberg.  Spielberg gets talked about and his films referenced constantly.

Because in last 10 years Zemeckis has been less active except for producing really.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on September 26, 2013, 07:42:22 AM
Because in last 10 years Zemeckis has been less active except for producing really.

And Sidney Pollack's dead, so his body of work isn't discussed either.  Because Ide wasn't around in 1973.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2013, 07:38:12 AM

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2013, 07:12:09 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 26, 2013, 06:26:27 AM
Why in the fuck does Ide want to pay full retail for his movies? Full retail is for suckers and chumps.

Huh?  I added 'em up the other day, and I think the average price was like $8, which is what you'd pay if you dug them out of the Wal-Mart bargain bin.

As a general rule, the only ones that are expensive are movies that I buy day of release, because I wanted to throw money at them as a signal of support--especially if they were small productions (like Europa Report) or if they were big productions but not particularly big box office successes (like Oblivion).  If I'm paying ~$20 it's almost invariably because I love the shit out of a movie, though.

Buying on the day of release. Sucker.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 07:46:44 AM

Your memories of the 80s are a little hazy as well.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2013, 07:48:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 07:46:44 AM

Your memories of the 80s are a little hazy as well.

I like how you don't even realize how ridiculous your response was.

Sheilbh

Who goes nuts over Zemeckis the way they do over those guys?  Even when his body of work is better than half of them.
....No one. No one should (they also shouldn't go nuts over Cameron). Since 2000 he's made Castaway, What Lies Beneath, Beowulf, the Polar Express, A Christmas Carol and Flight. Who should go nuts over that? 'Yay, my favourite director sometimes reaches mediocrity! Yay.'

Early Zemeckis I agree is great though. I think the Oscar ruined him.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2013, 07:51:00 AM
I like how you don't even realize how ridiculous your response was.

Why is it ridiculous?  If you've been paying attention to film making you've known who he is since Back To The Future.  Why is that ridiculous?  Why are you being a cunt?

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2013, 07:51:14 AM
....No one. No one should (they also shouldn't go nuts over Cameron). Since 2000 he's made Castaway, What Lies Beneath, Beowulf, the Polar Express, A Christmas Carol and Flight. Who should go nuts over that? 'Yay, my favourite director sometimes reaches mediocrity! Yay.'

Early Zemeckis I agree is great though. I think the Oscar ruined him.

See!  This is exactly what I'm talking about!  I was right!  I was--

Oh. :(
Kinemalogue