News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2013, 08:43:56 PM
Hidden Fortress (1958).  These two fucking poors ruined this otherwise promising film.  You know what I don't remember from Star Wars?  The part where C3PO and R2D2 draw straws to see who gets to rape Princess Leia first.  C+

:mad:  That horse chase scene is one of the badass scenes ever filmed.

Ed Anger

QuoteSpeed Racer (2010).  YEAH COLORS.  SPORTSMANSHIP.  A+

Lol, Wut?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Speed Racer (2010).  YEAH COLORS.  SPORTSMANSHIP.  A+

Here ya go, Ed, here's a red rotary telephone.  Swing away.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2013, 08:46:48 PM
Hidden Fortress (1958).  These two fucking poors ruined this otherwise promising film.  You know what I don't remember from Star Wars?  The part where C3PO and R2D2 draw straws to see who gets to rape Princess Leia first.  C+

:mad:  That horse chase scene is one of the badass scenes ever filmed.

The horse chase scene is an A+.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Also Ide, watch A boy and his dog on Netflix. Heh.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2013, 08:50:10 PM

Highly polarizing film.  It's an A+ yet not necessarily a recommend.  I loved it, but I can understand why someone might hate the shit out of it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I still want to beat you with a rotary phone.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2013, 08:51:53 PM

Highly polarizing film.  It's an A+ yet not necessarily a recommend.  I loved it, but I can understand why someone might hate the shit out of it.

It's not your childhood it destroyed.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 08:53:14 PM
I still want to beat you with a rotary phone.

I appreciate that I'm worth $68 plus shipping. :hug:
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Stray Dog (1949).  The world's worst cop (Toshiro Mifune) loses his gun to a pickpocket, so Takashi Shimura takes him on a training day through the mean streets of Japanese City Whose Name I Didn't Catch, Probably Tokyo.  Pretty okay, I guess, but more than a little flat due to no one important dying.  Imagine the second half of High and Low, then, but with a really inept detective.  C+

Haven't seen the movie, but it's probably Osaka or Kobe given Japanese stereotypes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2013, 08:56:41 PM

I may just go with a sack of oranges.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 09:00:46 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2013, 08:56:41 PM

I may just go with a sack of oranges.

And you can probably just buy those on the street corner on the way there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2013, 08:54:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2013, 08:51:53 PM

It's not your childhood it destroyed.

One of these days I may get around to watching the cartoon.  Don't see how it possibly could have destroyed it though.  Isn't the cartoon about Speed fighting race fixers?  That's what the movie's about.

If you're of a certain temperament, though, the whole aesthetic of the movie is amazing to watch.  I love the shit out of the last race, especially, where the cars are moving so fast that static images of zebras on the sides of the track appear to gallop, like a zoopraxiscope.  Of course, the movie had me with the very first few seconds with its kaleidoscopic interpretation of the Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow logos, and kept me the whole time.  The wipe techniques are so cool too.

Plus the thing's got fucking heart.

That said, if you hate really fast, bright shit and totally invented cartoon worlds, nope.

I wonder if the movie's killed any epileptics. :hmm:
Kinemalogue

garbon

Seeds is stuck in the past. It is what he has. Don't deny him that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

:mad:

There's one thing to improve on a product, like Nolan's Batman over Burton's cartoonish shitfest bullshit, and then there's taking a product like Speed Racer, and remodeling it for the animetard Assburger generation.