News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Matt Damon looks like a fat boy in the Elysium trailers.  Figure that's the weight he put on to play Liberace's bum boy?

Watched a Brit flick about Emily Watson trying to reunite children deported to Australia with their parents.

10 years ago Emily Watson still looked pretty damn good.  The years have not been kind.  She's a large woman now.

fhdz

Quote from: Josephus on August 11, 2013, 09:44:20 PM
Breaking Bad.  :bowler:

Ye gods, was that ever good. It's great when TV makes your heart come up into your throat like that.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on August 12, 2013, 01:42:16 PM

Ye gods, was that ever good. It's great when TV makes your heart come up into your throat like that.

I think that's when you should seek medical treatment, pronto...or stat!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 01:45:01 PM
Quote from: fhdz on August 12, 2013, 01:42:16 PM

I think that's when you should seek medical treatment, pronto...or stat!

:D
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2013, 01:28:15 PM
Matt Damon looks like a fat boy in the Elysium trailers.  Figure that's the weight he put on to play Liberace's bum boy?

More muscular than anything - which also doesnt fit well with the dystopia he is supposed to be living in.

viper37

The longest day

uh-oh.  Somebody forgot to turn the color switch "on".  Well, so be it, I shall force myself to watch it in its entirety.

It ain't so bad.  It suffers from some of the usual 60s clichés, John Wayne looks like his usual cowboy self, except in a WWII US Army uniform, but otherwise, I find it enjoyable, so far.  Even though it gets annoying, I kinda like the fact that the germans speak german, the French speak french, the Scots&Irish walk with a bagpipes announcing to every german 3 miles around exactly where they are, etc, etc.  There seems to be a certain attention to detail absent from modern movies.  Suffice to say that after seeing the Last Legion, any movie looks sensational.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2013, 02:26:37 PM
There seems to be a certain attention to detail absent from modern movies. 

Helps to have so many scenes ripped straight from Cornelius Ryan's book.  But yeah, war movies back then always seemed to be "bigger" than modern films. 

Josephus

Breaking Bad was fucking awesome
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2013, 03:41:55 PM
Helps to have so many scenes ripped straight from Cornelius Ryan's book.  But yeah, war movies back then always seemed to be "bigger" than modern films. 
well, I figured they used stock footage from WWII reporters :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Boa v Python. You can guess.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2013, 04:07:04 PM
well, I figured they used stock footage from WWII reporters :)

Invasion of the Neptune Men is the biggest film of all time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

viper37

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2013, 02:26:37 PM
There seems to be a certain attention to detail absent from modern movies. 

Do you know of a similar movie, but in color?  I seem to remember a slightly different movie about D-Day, but it was in color.  Similar treatment, people from both sides, albeit I think the Germans were speaking english.  Or maybe it was all dubbed in french. I can't figure out the title though.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2013, 06:55:10 PM
Invasion of the Neptune Men is the biggest film of all time.
you have a gift for watching bad movies.  Or what looks like horribly bad movides, at least.  :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2013, 09:21:21 PM
Do you know of a similar movie, but in color?  I seem to remember a slightly different movie about D-Day, but it was in color.  Similar treatment, people from both sides, albeit I think the Germans were speaking english.  Or maybe it was all dubbed in french. I can't figure out the title though.

Nah, not off the top of my head.  May not have been American.