And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Savonarola

Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato)

Something of a Japanese Star Trek/Star Wars.  The earth is under attack and only has a year before it's invaded.  In order to save mankind the Japanese government, after consulting with Neil Space Armaments Consortium, decides to raise the Battleship Yamato, refit it with rockets and shoot it into space with a crew of STAR BLAZERS!

There are some very Japanese moments in this; like when the evil alien overlord learns the value of friendship from humans.

The first two seasons ran in the United States in the late 70s.  I remember watching some episodes.  It's aged better than many other cartoons from my childhood. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on July 18, 2013, 03:50:25 PM
Something of a Japanese Star Trek/Star Wars.  The earth is under attack and only has a year before it's invaded.  In order to save mankind the Japanese government, after consulting with Neil Space Armaments Consortium, decides to raise the Battleship Yamato, refit it with rockets and shoot it into space with a crew of STAR BLAZERS!

They should have gone with IdeCorp's suggested heavy bombers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2013, 09:16:02 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 17, 2013, 09:11:40 AM
After about 20 Ethan Hawke movies, but it's there.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2013, 01:21:50 AM
And you wonder why you get so much shit.

I'm prepping for Getaway at the end of August.  It's my most anticipated movie of the year, at least now that Pacific Rim blew it.

Watched Gamera: Guardian of the Universe again.  Man, is that so much better than PR.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Looks of all action and stunts no substance.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on July 18, 2013, 06:42:15 PM
Looks of all action and stunts no substance.

Getaway?  Action and stunts are substance. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2013, 06:07:19 PM
I'm prepping for Getaway at the end of August.  It's my most anticipated movie of the year, at least now that Pacific Rim blew it.

Looks like a really bad Shelby commercial.

And why bother to save his wife when Selena Gomez and her DSLs giftwrapped themselves to him?

Ideologue

Because otherwise he doesn't drive places and do shit.  She's totally in and Ernst Blofeld's plan anyway.

The Conjuring (2013).  Finally, a movie about pop Catholic mythology that attempts to explain the theodicy behind a nominally omnipotent, omnibenevolent God, that nonetheless lets other supernatural entities venture onto the material plane, manifest greater power within this world than I Am has been witnessed to wield since Old Testament days, and eat innocent people's souls, fundamentally contradicting basic Catholic soteriology.  Wasn't Prince of Darkness just amazing?

But this?  The Conjuring is fine, but like Insidious, while it may have its terrifying turns, it won't stick with you forever—or even overnight.

B

Hey, technically under 1000 words here: Busting makes me feel good, but probably displeases the Lord
Kinemalogue

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Those fucking swarms.
How the fuck is the prison getting breached, and who is doing it?  Better not be the Governor.
Looks like they've provided some spoilers as to who sacrifices themselves.

Good to see Rick's still finding ammo for that Anaconda.  RICKGASM: ACCOMPLISHED

Oh, fuck yeah.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2013, 09:22:49 PM
Now that's it's Week 3, anybody else watching Ray Donovan?

This is from a couple oops 5 days ago, but I still am.  I'm likin' it. 

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2013, 10:08:40 PM
Those fucking swarms.
How the fuck is the prison getting breached, and who is doing it?  Better not be the Governor.
Looks like they've provided some spoilers as to who sacrifices themselves.

Good to see Rick's still finding ammo for that Anaconda.  RICKGASM: ACCOMPLISHED

Oh, fuck yeah.

:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

(Bearing in mind I've never read the Edgar Rice Borroughs books; cannot speak to fidelity.)

Took me a long time to get to it, which is still sooner than a majority of the viewing public, but I finally got to John Carter (2012).  Count me amongst the growing number of folks who are slowly rehabilitating the famous flop: it's really close to great.

Story's rad, action and humor top-notch.  Most of my serious complaints are production design-related--the movie doesn't look quite as amazing as it should.  It does look good, but often things are too undifferentiated, and its colors not as vibrant as they needed to be.  Mars should've been a bit redder, the Red Martians maybe a bit redder still, the Green Martians greener, and most importantly the Helians and the Zodangans needed to be differentiated beyond "kind of Egyptian armor, with blue highlights" and "kind of Egyptian armor, with red highlights."  There is a "predator city," that never predates--that'd have been fun to see.  And maybe some more cheesecake with Delah.  Just a bit?  Is that sexist?  I still want her to be capable and scientific, just less dressed, in true planetary romance fashion, because masturbating in the 1920s sure did involve the imagination.

And while I came to accept and enjoy John Carter Action Comics #1ing all over the damn place with surely no less than 100% physical accuracy, that awful Lockjaw dog thing was a bridge too far--breaking the goofy scale, and really unfortunately omnifuckingpresent.

Still, while not approaching the 1980 masterpiece, it really is a worthy spiritual successor to Flash Gordon, pulpy and funny and full of preposterous action (and adding a little genuine human emotion on the margins, which was weird yet not misplaced).  Further, it shows what a hack fucktard Gore Verbinski is; and unlike Lone Ranger, this movie did not deserve to fail.

The disc, of course, is teal blue.  Disney's inability to market this wonderful movie really is infinite, isn't it?

B+
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Biggest problem was the red chick was a pinch on the butch side.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2013, 02:24:57 AM
Biggest problem was the red chick was a pinch on the butch side.

Naw, nice tats though.