Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2013, 05:55:10 AM
Gang rape jokes? :bleeding:

Also a blog has been spawned? :bleeding:
Ide's world apparently it is? Kind of gross.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2013, 07:58:38 AM
I like Ide's blog.  Haters are faggots.

Actually this particular hater is one but I don't see why that would be generalized.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2013, 05:33:59 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 04:07:54 AM
No it isn't.  I said Pain & Gain was my favorite, but was then displaced by Gatsby.  It's still number two.  My third favorite was Oblivion, which was displaced by Europa Report.  Oblivion didn't stay in fourth place.

It is the fourth movie, however, that I've given an A or higher out of the seventeen movies released in 2013 that I've seen so far.

Longer write-up:

Six words seldom heard: I want to be Michael Cera

Edit: meant Oblivion, not Man of Steel.  Maybe you're right. :lol:

Industry: Law :lol:

As opposed to what, Industry: None? :p

Quote from: garbonAlso a blog has been spawned? :bleeding:

I caught up with 2005.  Anyway, Christopher Bird has a blog.  Nobody gives that guy shit.  Hell, Roger Ebert had a blog.  (Now Matt Zoller Seitz, Professional Crazy Person, has a blog.  I'd actually meant to mention Zoller Seitz a minute ago, because if you think I'm bonkers, read that guy's film reviews.  After Earth and The Lone Ranger: 3 1/2 star pictures, apparently.  I guess at least he's not one of Viking's followers.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

:)

My blog also exposes the liberal agenda.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 08:39:06 AM
I caught up with 2005.  Anyway, Christopher Bird has a blog.  Nobody gives that guy shit.  Hell, Roger Ebert had a blog.  (Now Matt Zoller Seitz, Professional Crazy Person, has a blog.  I'd actually meant to mention Zoller Seitz a minute ago, because if you think I'm bonkers, read that guy's film reviews.  After Earth and The Lone Ranger: 3 1/2 star pictures, apparently.  I guess at least he's not one of Viking's followers.)

Oh got it, you're delusional. Carry on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

If it's too long to post here, I don't want to read it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Don't listen to the haters. I like your Blog, Ide.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Under The Dome...Meh....but I laughed at the reference to The Simpsons episode (or was it the movie) when they had Springfield trapped in the Dome.

"The Simpsons saw it coming, man!"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on July 10, 2013, 10:37:48 AM
Under The Dome...Meh....but I laughed at the reference to The Simpsons episode (or was it the movie) when they had Springfield trapped in the Dome.

I'm glad they had enough self-awareness to realize this premise is totally ripped off from the Simpsons movie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2013, 11:27:22 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 10, 2013, 10:37:48 AM

I'm glad they had enough self-awareness to realize this premise is totally ripped off from the Simpsons movie.

Not sure if you're kidding or not. :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I wasn't aware that Law & Order, The Wire and X-Files existed in the same continuity ... :unsure:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19323_6-movie-tv-universes-that-overlap-in-mind-blowing-ways.html

Quote#5. The Wire and The X-Files Exist in the Same Universe

It's hard to believe that while a gritty drug war rages in Baltimore, Md. (as seen in The Wire), the government is devoting considerable resources to planning a secret alien invasion (as seen in The X-Files). And yet, if you look at the cold, hard facts, that's exactly what's going on in those shows.

It all comes down to this dude:

[Picture of John Munch]
"I would describe my style as bland. With a dash of nondescript."

Detective John Munch is best known as a character in the interminable Law & Order franchise, but he first appeared on a different cop show called Homicide: Life on the Street. Homicide was based on a book by David Simon and inspired by many of the same people and events Simon would later use as the basis for HBO's The Wire. In the last season of The Wire, Simon confirmed the connection between the shows by having Detective Munch make a short appearance.

But that's not all: Before Homicide was canceled, the show crossed over with The X-Files in an episode where the Lone Gunmen, the conspiracy theorists who occasionally assist Mulder and Scully, uncover a government plot to test an experimental nerve gas in Baltimore. The Gunmen try to warn the authorities, but Detective Munch doesn't buy any of that conspiracy crap and locks them up. This isn't some inconsequential little cameo, by the way -- the whole episode is framed by Munch interrogating the Lone Gunmen.

"No, seriously, there's a whole FBI division devoted to-" "Get the fuck out."

The implications are vast: What other toxic agents has the government been secretly testing in Baltimore, a city that The Wire paints as crippled by drug use? Could this explain why they let Sgt. Colvin get away with his "Hamsterdam" experiment for so long in Season 3? The massive coverup at the end of Season 5 had to be a piece of cake to a government that is already hiding the existence of everything from aliens to "Super Soldiers." Also, this would explain why the characters in The Wire always have such a hard time getting the Feds to cooperate with their drug investigations -- they have much, much bigger fish to fry. Like, galaxy big.

"Then they mentioned something about an alien invasion and having to clear up nine years of plot holes."

We could take this even further if we took into consideration the fact that Homicide: Life on the Street can also be linked to St. Elsewhere, of all things, through two characters who appeared on both shows. St. Elsewhere famously ended when the whole show was revealed to take place in the imagination of an autistic child -- and, by extension, so would The X-Files and The Wire.

[Mulder & Scully on Simpsons]
And The Simpsons.

In fact, according to Dwayne McDuffie's Grand Unification Theory, "The last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2013, 01:46:36 PM
Also, this would explain why the characters in The Wire always have such a hard time getting the Feds to cooperate with their drug investigations -- they have much, much bigger fish to fry. Like, galaxy big.

:lol:

QuoteIn fact, according to Dwayne McDuffie's Grand Unification Theory, "The last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream."

Yeah, Bob Newhart's daydream.