News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

The Room is epic.  I love the Rifftraxx version though, because it makes it less insane and more insanely funny.

Oh hi Sav!
PDH!

Savonarola

Quote from: Queequeg on June 27, 2013, 02:55:36 PM
Sav, did you go to a live showing?  I've been to multiple, one of them with Johnny himself.  I actually (supposedly-I was very drunk) asked him what languages he spoke other than French and English because "you're clearly a man of the world", but he didn't confess to anything else.

No, I rented it, nowhere around here has a live showing.  Are you still in Chicagoland?  It might be worth the trip if they show it there.

Were you drinking the Scotch and Vodka mixed drink Johnny and Lisa drink in the film?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

You would go to Chicago just to watch a bad movie?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 27, 2013, 03:47:32 PM

No, I'd go to Chicago to have a new experience and a new story to tell.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

katmai

the man moved to Florida, he's clearly not thinking straight.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on June 27, 2013, 03:59:43 PM

Well he did leave Detroit, so Florida might have been an improvement...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Quote from: Savonarola on June 27, 2013, 03:31:32 PM
Sav, did you go to a live showing?  I've been to multiple, one of them with Johnny himself.  I actually (supposedly-I was very drunk) asked him what languages he spoke other than French and English because "you're clearly a man of the world", but he didn't confess to anything else.

No, I rented it, nowhere around here has a live showing.  Are you still in Chicagoland?  It might be worth the trip if they show it there.

Were you drinking the Scotch and Vodka mixed drink Johnny and Lisa drink in the film?
Lord no. Wine and energy drink.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

fhdz

Quote from: Queequeg on June 27, 2013, 04:03:53 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 27, 2013, 03:31:32 PM

Lord no. Wine and energy drink.

Dear god. Please tell me you're not drinking them together as a cocktail.
and the horse you rode in on

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on June 27, 2013, 07:58:03 AM
Come On Eileen has gotten enough airplay over the years that it should be recognizable to anyone who isn't a total retard with regaards to music.

The song maybe. But who watches videos anymore?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2013, 09:31:49 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 27, 2013, 07:58:03 AM
Come On Eileen has gotten enough airplay over the years that it should be recognizable to anyone who isn't a total retard with regaards to music.

But the reference was to the music video.  Not sure why anyone would have watched that in the last quarter century.

Oh...yeah, what CC said. :blush:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: fhdz on June 27, 2013, 04:08:08 PM

Dear god. Please tell me you're not drinking them together as a cocktail.
Not during pregaming.  For the theater I'm pretty sure I put them together in a big thermus because I wasn't sure about the policy of bringing in alcohol-only to be surprised that everyone in the audience seemed to have at least a fifth. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on June 27, 2013, 03:59:43 PM

Well, with the supreme court decision on DOMA, you don't have to think straight in any state of the US.

Ed Anger

Some French movie where Emma de Caunes was naked and got boned.

BEST FRENCH FILM EVER.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on June 27, 2013, 02:10:20 PM
The Room (2003)

Called "The Citizen Kane of bad movies" by Entertainment Weekly, this is an endlessly fascinating movie.  Johnny is a successful banker.  He and his future wife Lisa live in a nice apartment with plenty of pictures of plastic silverware in beautiful San Francisco where they have fantastic sex (it's kind of disturbing to watch, twice, but I think it was supposed to be fantastic.)  Then Lisa turns evil, seduces Johnny's best friend and everything goes to hell.

What really makes this movie fascinating is that there are a number of subplots that are introduced and then dropped.  Lisa's mother announces that she has breast cancer in the beginning of the film and then it's never brought up again.  A couple comes into Johnny and Lisa's apartment and makes out, for no explained reason.  One of Johnny's neighbors is threatened by a drug dealer, and then the subplot is dropped.  All the male characters put on tuxedos and throw around a football, but we never find out why they had gathered or put on tuxedos.

The dialogue is bizarre as well.  For instance:

Lisa: She's a stupid bitch. She wants to control my life. I'm not going to put up with that. I'm going to do what I want to do, and that's it. What do you think I should do?

Or:

Johnny: Thank you, honey, this is a beautiful party! You invited all my friends. Good thinking!

Obviously director/writer/lead actor Tommy Wisseau had a deeply personal story that he wanted to tell and obviously he didn't know anything about film making (or writing or acting for that matter.)  He managed to create a wonderfully bizarre picture along the lines of Plan 9 from Outer Space.

I've read that people gather for midnight showings and throw out their own lines, footballs and plastic forks similar to The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Oh hai Sav.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)