And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2013, 11:59:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2013, 11:57:20 PM
I guess quantity's a quality all its own.

Not when it is an overly long movie review.

Zing. :P

:hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2013, 11:54:57 PM
I figured your Kubrick-hatin' self would be pleased with the lukewarm review. :hug:

I don't hate him.  He's just overrated.  Although I did watch The Shining last night when it came on cable late, which is great.  And I do love Barry Lyndon.

I just don't ascribe sainthood to him, and the people that do I toss into the same bin as those people who have constantly quoted Monty Python's and the Holy Grail or Blade Runner since high school Model Rocket Club.

QuoteP.S. If it makes you any happier, Bay's Transformers movies still suck.  Wait, that's my childhood.

That was, like, last summer or something.   Ugh.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2013, 11:56:35 PM
Also, side note, but did you see we are this forums top 2 prolific personalities?

I'm unemployed.  What's your excuse?  :lol: :P

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2013, 12:03:20 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2013, 11:54:57 PM
I figured your Kubrick-hatin' self would be pleased with the lukewarm review. :hug:

I don't hate him.  He's just overrated.  Although I did watch The Shining last night when it came on cable late, which is great.  And I do love Barry Lyndon.

I just don't ascribe sainthood to him, and the people that do I toss into the same bin as those people who have constantly quoted Monty Python's and the Holy Grail or Blade Runner since high school Model Rocket Club.

Well, I've seen everything of his except Fear and Desire, which is, I understand, barely a movie.  The grades would go as follows (though take Paths and Clockwork with a grain of salt, as I haven't seen 'em in a few years, and I'm really on the fence viz. Barry Lyndon, B+ or A):

Killer's Kiss: B
The Killing: A
Paths of Glory: A
Spartacus: A
Lolita: B+
Dr. Strangelove: A+
2001: A+
Clockwork Orange: A
Barry Lyndon: B+
The Shining: B+
Full Metal Jacket: A
Eyes Wide Shut: A+

Not quite saintly, but pretty darned respectable.  Not a movie that's not worth watching, which is more than you can say for just about anyone with that number of movies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2013, 12:04:41 AM
Also, side note, but did you see we are this forums top 2 prolific personalities?

I'm unemployed.  What's your excuse?  :lol: :P

I've a big mouth. Also I jumped up during depression era and my first nyc job where I spent time learning to tweet. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 17, 2013, 08:09:26 PM
Sphinx Rising!  Good episode of The Venture Bros.

Arrested Development is good.  Nice to see how they are winding it all together.

So far they haven't dropped the ball this season.  The show keeps getting better and better.  I looked at some of the older seasons episdodes.  The newer ones blow them out of the water.  They have actually managed the impossible, make an emo teen that is sympathetic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2013, 12:51:41 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 17, 2013, 08:09:26 PM
Sphinx Rising!  Good episode of The Venture Bros.

Arrested Development is good.  Nice to see how they are winding it all together.

So far they haven't dropped the ball this season.  The show keeps getting better and better.  I looked at some of the older seasons episdodes.  The newer ones blow them out of the water.  They have actually managed the impossible, make an emo teen that is sympathetic.

Which one?  The one with George Michael Bluth or the one with Dean Venture?
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Just managed to catch up with VB.  Poor Gary. :(
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 17, 2013, 11:53:10 PM
Wrong, shitburger. Japanese animation prior to
1) 1984, and
2) its embrace by the faggot hipster movement

is null and void regarding Axis.  Therefore, generational participation of Speed Racer, Marine Boy, Kimba the White Lion and Star Blazers are exempt.

Anime apologism, tsk tsk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

1) 1984, and

is null and void regarding Axis.  Therefore, generational participation of Speed Racer, Marine Boy, Kimba the White Lion and Star Blazers are exempt.

1984? That's intriguing, why?
That leaves Captain Harlock (Matsumoto's masterpiece), one of the markers of my generation would be on the fence as well. The second series, my favourite being called Albator '84 in French-speaking territores was broadcasted in 82-83 in Japan.
Grendizer (Goldorak for Francophones), cult late '70s japanese cartoon, would be also out of the Anime Axis.

Sailor Moon (1992-1997) would be beyond the pale though as well as Akira (1988) in a very different genre;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 18, 2013, 03:12:49 AM
1984? That's intriguing, why?

Last year for Star Blazers.  And before most anime hipster fucks were born.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2013, 11:25:44 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 17, 2013, 04:48:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2013, 04:27:15 PM

Why not?  Superman abandoned Lana Lang.

eh? Abandon? As in leaving for 5 years and not telling anybody about it?

In the comics, he did.  It was hilarious.  "HEY LANA I'M ACTUALLY A SUPERHUMAN OKAY BYE HAVE A NICE LIFE HERE IN SHITTOWN, USA P.S. I NEVER WANTED TO HAVE SEX WITH YOU."  Except said by Superman, so it's way nicer.

It was all in her head all the time. She never wanted to leave (shame on you DCAU), she wanted to stay in Smallville and raise a brood of Clark juniors and juniorettes. Superman isn't being a dick here, he just cannot fathom the irrational randomness that constitutes the female mind. Neither do I for that matter.

QuoteYeah, funny that. One wonders how an dated character managed to survive for so long. As I said, he survives despite his comic never doing really well.

I guess what I mean is that the Superman myth is big enough (and has to be) to accommodate a great many variations, whether that be Emo Superman (Superman Returns, disaffected from humanity, pines over lost love), "Standard" Superman (Post-Crisis DC, not too powerful initially, married, never stops fighting), Zany Superman (pre-Crisis DC, what will red kryptonite turn me into today?), or Class Warrior Superman (Action Comics #1, beats up rich people).

Emo and Class Warrior are still up for grabs. Standard Superman is still found in Justice League. Some don't fit and some do. The pre- and post- crisis differences are very much a reflection of what society sees as the nature of comic books. Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns pretty much revolutionized the way the medium saw itself and was seen by it's audience.

Each book has it's own superman. Batman is the extreme example. "The Dark Knight" is an emotional loner, "Detective Comics" is a rational loner, "Batman and Robin" is an emotional team player and "Batman" is a rational team player. He ticks all quadrants of that box.

QuoteYes, they were using the donner lex as a basis. I don't like that. He was stupid then and he is stupid now. Comic relief. Superhero Movies of the 2000's don't need comic relief like Superhero Movies of the 1970's did. His schtick grew old in SII, wasn't missed in SIII and positively annoying in SIV. The Lex of the DCAU is superior in every way and a worth opponent rather than a comic relief buffoon.

Concur.  It's not really Hackman's performance as Lex Luthor, but how small time he is.  Fwiw, though, Lex the Businessman, as seen in the DCAU, is an innovation from John Byrne's 1986 reboot of Superman in Man of Steel, so the Donner movies predated that by a considerable period of time.  He had no way of adapting the Luthor you like, so he went with the Luthor of the Silver and Bronze Age comics, although at least that Lex was more of a mad scientist than a mad real estate developer who occasionally used science for his ends.

Hackman is no hack. I know the Business Tycoon Lex was a later adaption. Before Hackman Lex had been a mad scientist with a death ray.

QuoteYou know what I meant by that phrase, don't be obtuse. He would only promote his own cause if she were single.

Why?  Fair play?

Yes, Superman does not cheat or contribute to others cheating. He is first a foremost a good person.

And iirc, he doesn't get pissy about Lois and Richard's relationship.  He gives a shit, but he isn't an ass about it.

My main problem with Routh's Reeves playing Superman is that he never has any real emotion. Everything is suppressed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on June 18, 2013, 02:34:17 AM
Just managed to catch up with VB.  Poor Gary. :(
Yeah.  We watched Sphrinx Rising last night. After seeing the previews it had looked like he was raising an army of creeps from the gaming store, so I liked the direction they took the episode in. 
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 17, 2013, 11:49:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 17, 2013, 11:16:56 PM
By all means, continue to practice grade inflation when it comes to the systematic raping of my childhood institutions.

Guess you should be putting yourself on the Axis of Anime as well. :thumbsdown:

1) 1984, and

I was #1. Now I'm third. I am: in decline.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive