News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Viking on June 13, 2013, 11:02:06 AM
I like how on that show the supposed bad-guys of today (big greedy corporations) are the supposed good guys (or at least the forces of order and peace) and the bad guys are the supposed good guys of today.

It is actually a bit disturbing for me to see all my counter-cultural assumptions about the nature of corporations and the luddite and leveler scum that oppose them confirmed.

It's a bit like watching a movie where Robin-Hood, the Lone Ranger and the Rebel Alliance are the bad guys while Prince John, The Emperor and the Ranch Boss are the good guys. It causes me sufficient dischord that I remain intrigued. Casting Cancer Man from X-Files as a good guy makes it that much more delicious.

That said, story, dialogue, acting, pace and action are mediocre, not bad, just mediocre.
It's a little more complex than that, the Corporations are not exactly the good guys and the bad guys use reprehensible means to achieve their goals but they may still have valid justifications.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 13, 2013, 02:13:50 PM
All those unfamiliar with miss Kirshner should look up "jenny and marina l word"  ;)

Jenny in The L word was one bad, neurotic bitch. Those two belonged together.

Ideologue

Gonna go see Man of Steel in a few minutes.  Oh boy oh boy oh boy.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 13, 2013, 07:26:17 AM
Lordy. Too wordy. Brevity is the soul of wit.

C-
Don't listen to him, I love your reviews even when I disagree with them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on June 13, 2013, 09:53:05 PM

Well? Well?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on June 14, 2013, 01:21:39 AM

Well? Well?
As I said in the comic thread...

The dialogue was sparse, the story straightforward and simple and moved at a tremendous speed. Nonetheless this was one of the most ambitious science fiction movies I've ever seen and the action was absolutely jaw dropping. The battle in Metropolis makes the invasion of NYC in Avengers look like a slap fight in comparison.

I definitely recommend it.

There is one moment in particular that will cause purists to froth at the mouth.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Its not out here till August :(
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2013, 02:00:20 AM
Its not out here till August :(
Why is Japan always so far behind? They usually come out around the same time here in Korea.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2013, 01:47:47 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 14, 2013, 01:21:39 AM

Well? Well?
As I said in the comic thread...

The dialogue was sparse, the story straightforward and simple and moved at a tremendous speed. Nonetheless this was one of the most ambitious science fiction movies I've ever seen and the action was absolutely jaw dropping. The battle in Metropolis makes the invasion of NYC in Avengers look like a slap fight in comparison.

I definitely recommend it.

There is one moment in particular that will cause purists to froth at the mouth.

There was one guy who came out so angry he was sputtering.  I didn't catch what it was, and am sure I have no idea.  It's more-or-less faithful to the spirit of Superman.  I'm seriously, I'm no doubt the biggest Superman fan here, and I found literally only one thing to be pissed about--Clark stealing some clothes after his were burned off rescuing people from a fire, and no shots to indicate that he had recorded the address to which he would send its owners a check.

I thought it had trouble maintaining a consistent tone; the humor is often unfunny or just plain terribly timed ([spoiler]there are about 50,000 people burning to death a half mile to your right, Lois[/spoiler].  For a movie about a guy who gets his powers from sunlight the color palette sure did suck (when did we decide the look of American cinema should be GRAY GRAY BLUE AND MORE GRAY? is this Christopher Nolan's fault?  Watchmen had pretty colors).  The production design for Krypton and all Krypton's technology looked even sillier, and indeed much worse, than After Earth.  There's a bit, the most disengaging part of the movie which puts paid any ambitions it had toward greatness, where I had to say, "Wait, Zod--why do you want to do what you're doing if..?"  And, finally, the movie is disserved by its PG-13 rating: I can't believe I'm saying this, but a Superman movie, this Superman movie, needed a hard R.

Those are the negatives.  The positives are HOLY SHIT, does this movie have some egregiously spectacular action, the cast all does a fine job (well, except the actress that played Lara), particularly Costner, I liked the stuff they did with Clark coming into the world, what became of the Codex is actually rather neat, and, again, PUNCHING PUNCHING PUNCHING YEAH!

I admit I am disappointed that it wasn't the truly great movie I really needed, let alone the best movie of the year as I had predicted and hoped, but it was very good, and had elements of greatness in it.

It's a B+, I think, but if Nolanyder gave this movie some Goddamned color they'd have gotten an A.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, but P.S.: if it is a financial success, I think it may wind up being the most important movie of the decade.  But I'll let you guess on why I think that.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on June 14, 2013, 02:47:19 AM

There was one guy who came out so angry he was sputtering.  I didn't catch what it was, and am sure I have no idea.  It's more-or-less faithful to the spirit of Superman.  I'm seriously, I'm no doubt the biggest Superman fan here, and I found literally only one thing to be pissed about--Clark stealing some clothes after his were burned off rescuing people from a fire, and no shots to indicate that he had recorded the address to which he would send its owners a check.

Probably one of three or four things or a combination of them [spoiler]the theft of the clothes, the relative lack of concern for collatoral damage, and outright killing Zod. Maybe the truck vandalism as well? [/spoiler]

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on June 14, 2013, 02:49:38 AM
Oh, but P.S.: if it is a financial success, I think it may wind up being the most important movie of the decade.  But I'll let you guess on why I think that.
Justice League?

DARKSEID! :w00t:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2013, 02:58:59 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 14, 2013, 02:49:38 AM
Justice League?

DARKSEID! :w00t:

Not what I was thinking, but yes.  A League movie would be great.

But you're considering Man of Steel too concretely.  [spoiler]Get it?  Concretely?  Glassly.  Steely.  NEVER FORGETLY.

Man of Steel is the Inglorious Basterds of September 11th.  If it works commercially, it means we can finally marry the tremendous technological capabilities that started coming into their own around 2001 with our lust for sensationalist mass carnage that we have been repressing since 2001.

I mean, I guess Avengers did it first, but not at all like this.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]And if Man of Steel is successful, we can get a movie about the UTTER FUCKING RUIN of a major metropolis and the implied or even explicit deaths of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS--but this time instead of 9/11 graaaayyyy, a more palatable palette that truly expresses what a shocking joy it is to see a make-pretend metropolis get utterly fucking ruined and hundreds of thousands of fake people die.[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk