News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Fast and the frurious 6. Pretty good actually.  One really stupid scene that had the theater laughing and one giant runway.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on May 29, 2013, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2013, 06:18:48 PM
Amazon prime is so great. Tinker, Taylor, etc., is already here.

Don't gobble it in one lump, saver it over several days/ couple of weeks.  :bowler:

The 2011 version doesnt hold a candle to the BBC version. Not even close.

Any recommendations on "Smiley's People"?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Quote from: HVC on June 02, 2013, 12:42:17 AM
Fast and the frurious 6. Pretty good actually.  One really stupid scene that had the theater laughing and one giant runway.

I think that runway was at least 20 miles long, maybe 25, what do you think?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Syt or someone else had a graphic that showed it as 28.75 miles long.

CountDeMoney

The Brave One Yeah, it's from 2007, but hey, I never fucking saw it.

I've always been a Jodi Foster fan;  she always worked just enough not to OD audiences on her, she's had the presence of mind and the respect of her craft to choose her roles reasonably well, and because she's not exactly your stock Hollywood hottie it's always seemed easy to focus on her acting as opposed to focusing on her titties (even after the new ones she bought for Panic Room).  Personally, I'd do her anyway, even if she wouldn't do me.  It wraps up that mid-2000s stint she turned in, with better-than-average movies Panic Room, Flight Plan and Inside Man.  As I've mentioned before, my only beef with her role in Inside Man is in reality that character would've been a man--but that's Spike Lee's fault, not hers.

So anyway, Jodie, her beau and their dog get their spending reduced brutally by deficit hawks in Central Park, with the result of the beau being sequestered permanently.  Jodi winds up dealing with more than your usual survivor trauma;  she buys an illegal gun and enters the vigilante business, at first incidentally but then purposefully putting herself in increasingly dangerous positions to play her new game.  Terrence Howard (always a great actor, even in shit movies) plays a great cop, as does his partner, Nicky Katt (you'd remember him from Way of the Gun);  they've got the right amount of workman-like fatalism without all the cop cliches.  As the vigilante incidents begin to pile up, Terrence starts putting it together--you see him putting it together, he has his suspicions as he and Jodi continue to intersect, but the film doesn't insult the audience by giving that hand away.  And it doesn't end the way you think it will.

What I like about this film is two-fold;  first, it's the approach to Jodi's vigilantism--it doesn't play any PC punches (sorry but yeah, chances are it's gonna be two yo boys on the NYC subway fucking with people at 1am, not Raz and Ide) with plausible situations, and doesn't glamorize them or Jodi's personal torment over them.  Secondly, the plot is sound, the writing is pretty damned good, and there's simply not a bad actor within sight.  Neil Jordan did a wonderful job with this one.

I give this 4 out of 5 Wayne LaPierres, if Wayne had an actual conscience and missed his dog.  A very strong, very tight film.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2013, 10:30:07 AM
Syt or someone else had a graphic that showed it as 28.75 miles long.

Thank you, my day is complete now.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josephus

The Killing season 3 begins today
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on June 01, 2013, 10:00:14 PM
Wait a minute... Cypher Raige?  Was this movie written by a 6-year old.

No, but for a 14 year old. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on June 02, 2013, 12:15:47 PM
The Killing season 3 begins today

2 hour premiere.  Me can't wait.

CountDeMoney

Superman II is on.  While it's still the best of the Superman movies (thank God for Terance Stamp and Gene Hackman), the sheer implausibility of Superman giving up his super powers for a god awful hag like Margot Kidder totally kills it. 

And when that concept is even more implausible than a guy in a cape and unitard flying around saving the planet with super powers, that's fucking saying something.

fhdz

Margot Kidder was so hot.
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Eddie Teach

She's no Teri Hatcher but was still attractive.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?