News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I liked the fact that Yackov Vodka got a gig outside Branson.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2013, 07:50:12 PM
I liked the fact that Yackov Vodka got a gig outside Branson.

Every now and then, your hip obscure references lose me in their hip obscureness.  Are you talking about Elya Baskin?

Admiral Yi

Yakov Smirnoff.  The insurgent pilot.

Or is this a remake of Air Force One?

CountDeMoney

Ok, that's him.  Yeah, he seemed to disappear into the abyss of sporadic TV for a long while after the 80s, what with 2010, Moscow On The Hudson, and The Name of the Rose back in the day.

lustindarkness

Oblivion: My son keeps joking about the end, what can be more awesome than [spoiler]surprising the alien machine with Morgan Freeman in a box?[/spoiler]  :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on April 21, 2013, 11:25:46 PM
Hm.  Fair enough.  They stated it as fact, but I guess it need not have been, you're right.

Oh, one thing I wanted to say about Oblivion:

[spoiler]I think that the ending could have been cut to be far more powerful than it was, don't you?  It didn't need that narration, it didn't need any lines.  Just show, as Cruise and Freeman's character are dying--which was a nice enough twist--Tom Cruise 52 shows up at the cabin.  Then credits.  It felt like a pulled punch for the benefit of people who would've said "whut?" and it was unnecessary and undermining. :( [/spoiler]

I have to disagree.  I think the whole point of [spoiler]the narration at the end was because it dovetailed nicely from the narration at the beginning.  The narration of the entire tale is not from #49's perspective, but from #52's perspective.  It's all after the fact--part of the reason it starts with something like "I've never met you, but..."  He's referring to #49 in that one, which the closing narration, to me, spells out more clearly and makes the entire story come together.[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Star Wars: The Legacy revealed.

A bunch of people, including university teacher, comme and tell you how fantastic was George Lucas for introducing Jar Jar Binks in the first trilogy, and how is character is growing through the series.

Proof that you can have Ph.D without being intelligent.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: viper37 on April 26, 2013, 08:33:20 AM
Star Wars: The Legacy revealed.

A bunch of people, including university teacher, comme and tell you how fantastic was George Lucas for introducing Jar Jar Binks in the first trilogy, and how is character is growing through the series.

Proof that you can have Ph.D without being intelligent.
Work at a University fora while and you'll have all the proof you ned.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on April 25, 2013, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 21, 2013, 11:25:46 PM
Hm.  Fair enough.  They stated it as fact, but I guess it need not have been, you're right.

Oh, one thing I wanted to say about Oblivion:

[spoiler]I think that the ending could have been cut to be far more powerful than it was, don't you?  It didn't need that narration, it didn't need any lines.  Just show, as Cruise and Freeman's character are dying--which was a nice enough twist--Tom Cruise 52 shows up at the cabin.  Then credits.  It felt like a pulled punch for the benefit of people who would've said "whut?" and it was unnecessary and undermining. :( [/spoiler]

I have to disagree.  I think the whole point of [spoiler]the narration at the end was because it dovetailed nicely from the narration at the beginning.  The narration of the entire tale is not from #49's perspective, but from #52's perspective.  It's all after the fact--part of the reason it starts with something like "I've never met you, but..."  He's referring to #49 in that one, which the closing narration, to me, spells out more clearly and makes the entire story come together.[/spoiler]

YMMV.  I thought it was nothing that wasn't already spelled out pretty cleanly.  So while it wasn't bad or inept or anything--in fact it was still good--I thought it bogged itself down in details and, really, words.  I'd have simply preferred what I'd have found a more emotionally charged, music-driven depiction of the same events.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

A set crew is busy rearranging the forest across from my house for a movie.  The rumour is its another Planet of the Apes.

Neil

Yi is the Dennis Miller of Languish.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2013, 10:47:16 AM
A set crew is busy rearranging the forest across from my house for a movie.  The rumour is its another Planet of the Apes.

We want daily rushes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2013, 01:00:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2013, 10:47:16 AM

We want daily rushes.

When filming starts I will take my dog for more frequent walks in the area and see what I can get for you. 

I didnt bother when Twilight was being filmed for obvious reasons.

11B4V

Watching some of my favorite Dogfight episodes.

The Last Gunfighter - Ep 8 - Season 1 - Dogfights
Israeli Air Force - Dog Fights Of The Middle East
Dogfights: The Thunderbolt
Dogfights: Long Odds
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Saw a bit more of Total Recall.  It's crap.

What a waste of ass, literally.  Two of the best poopers in film.

What the fuck was the deal with that Mars planetary core elevator?