News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on April 04, 2013, 01:21:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 04, 2013, 11:05:11 AMI was a bit surprised by the demonization of Thatcher throughout.  I thought it would be more of a background theme.

Thatcher was quite hated by wast swathes of the British working and creative classes, and Billy Elliot draws from the experience of both and is set in the relevant period. Anything but demonizing her would be staggeringly inauthentic, I would think.

Keeping Adolf Hitler on the roof to tend to the gardens couldn't have gone over that well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

I watched the Hannibal premiere yesterday. it was very stupid, and doesn't care a fig for realism (the main character essentially has magical abilities powered by autism). Worse, I was very underwhelmed by Lecter, who didn't have the presence necessay for the role (and whose accent makes everything incomprehensible about 1/3 of the time anyway).

With that said, it was strangely enjoyable, and I will probably watch the next episode.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ed Anger

Death wish 3. Clearly a warning from the past of New York post Bloomberg, where gangs rule the streets and gun less citizens are terrorized.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Man, I'm kinda pissed Upstream Color isn't out here till 4/22, and then only at the weenie arthouse theatre with a screen scarcely larger than my TV.  I guess that's still better than nothing (although I could just stream it on May 7 apparently. -_- )

Watched Evil Dead, may talk about it later.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

I am planning on catching it monday for matinee.

Evil Dead, not Upstream Color :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Goddammit.

My Plasma TV, carted off to repair in early February, is now officially dead.  The power supply board is no longer in stock, and it can't be found online.  Looks like planned obsolescence is still alive and well.
Then again, it was about 6 years old, so I suppose it didn't owe me anything.

RIP, 42" Panasonic.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Pisses me off, because I don't like LED.  Any other fucking time, I'd drop $3,000 on a new plasma, but right now I may go the LCD route.  Ugh.  Slumming.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2013, 08:27:42 AM
Pisses me off, because I don't like LED.  Any other fucking time, I'd drop $3,000 on a new plasma, but right now I may go the LCD route.  Ugh.  Slumming.
You could get a decent 50" plasma for around 2000$, you know.
Panasonic VT50

EDIT: closer to 1700$ actually.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2013, 09:31:31 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2013, 08:27:42 AM
You could get a decent 50" plasma for around 2000$, you know.

Meh, I have my living room exactly the way I want it, and have nowhere to put a 50".  My entertainment center is a perfect fit for a 42".  But I'm plasma snooping.
At the moment though, my personal finances would probably appreciate a $499 LCD bargain binner as opposed to a $2K drop.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on April 06, 2013, 09:42:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2013, 09:38:18 AM
My entertainment center is a perfect fit for a 42". 

This.

As small as my living room space is, anything bigger would be annoying.  Like sitting in the front row of a theater.  Bleh.

Ideologue

Couldn't you get an Obamaplasma?

QuoteMeh, I have my living room exactly the way I want it, and have nowhere to put a 50".

Also: is your living room not flexible enough to accomodate new things? :)

In all seriousness, that's a total fucking bummer dude.  I hope you get a new TV soon.  I dunno what your gripe is with LEDs (brightness and colors are good, but not +$1000 good).  I always liked 'em.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 06, 2013, 11:34:34 AM
Also: is your living room not flexible enough to accomodate new things? :)

No, actually it isn't, because I've got furnishings.  :P
I will not disrupt my Fortress of Solitude's carefully orchestrated furniture feng shui for the sake of a television.  At least not at this time.

QuoteIn all seriousness, that's a total fucking bummer dude.  I hope you get a new TV soon.  I dunno what your gripe is with LEDs (brightness and colors are good, but not +$1000 good).  I always liked 'em.

I've seen LEDs in action;  the resolution quality, while superior, is far too extreme for my tastes.  Looks fantastic for sports and documentaries, but I want movies to look like movies, not last Sunday's episode of Masterpiece Theater on PBS.   It's wholly unnerving.

Grey Fox

I want to buy a 32 for the upstairs living room. Fucking girlfriend not letting me do it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.