News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The first one to come to my mind when I hear the words.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Watched Moonrise Kingdom. Best movie I've seen all year. :wub:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

:cheers: Definitely in my top 5.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

The Terminator. Again. Much better than today's crap.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

just finished the first two rebuild of evangelion films.
i remember watching the original on saturday morning tv. i recall it started as a pretty great mecha anime but steadily devolved into philisophical psychoanalysis nonsense and...yeah. lost the plot.
these remakes are blatant money grabs but so far i quite like them.
whilst the original started seeming totally like a light and fluffy mecha anine-teenage boy inexplcably chosen to be the pilot of the ultimate weapon, surrounded by cute girls he never gets anywhere with, goes to normal high school despite everything, cute penguin mscot, etc... and then quite jarringly shifts into darker psycho-theological babble, the new films from the get go feel darker. theres much more of a post-apocolpytic feel, its like a subversion of the mecha anime genre.
first one is a pretty straight remake. second makes a lot of changes. a lot of bs has been said about this being evangelion the way it was meant to be. i wonder why these particular changes were made though.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Lincoln

Has a couple cheesy/PC scenes, but overall fantastic.  Especially Daniel Day Lewis's performance.

ulmont

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2012, 09:25:14 PM
Lincoln

Has a couple cheesy/PC scenes, but overall fantastic.  Especially Daniel Day Lewis's performance.

Not happy with the ending.  [spoiler]Should have ended with him walking out of the White House.  We all know he gets shot.[/spoiler]

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: ulmont on November 24, 2012, 09:26:45 PM
Lincoln

Not happy with the ending.  [spoiler]Should have ended with him walking out of the White House.  We all know he gets shot.[/spoiler]

I agree...I thought it was going to end there, and was disappointed it did not.

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2012, 06:48:46 PM
The Terminator. Again. Much better than today's crap.

Addendum: Bill Paxton got way too little screen time IMHO.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 25, 2012, 12:30:24 AM
Quote from: ulmont on November 24, 2012, 09:26:45 PM
Lincoln

I agree...I thought it was going to end there, and was disappointed it did not.

He rises as a lich? :bleeding:

Liep

The ending of Forbrydelsen was brutal.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Drive.

Meh.  Average movie.  On an artistic level, everything except the scenario is very well done.  But the story is very, very, very slow paced, and it takes a lot of patience before something happens, before suspense kicks in.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.