News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on November 23, 2012, 01:16:41 PM
No idea what those two problem with her is, she is muy caliente!

Meh, too ethnicky.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2012, 09:42:39 PM

Meh, too ethnicky.
:blink:

You are all up in the ethnicky if it's of the Asian persuasion, so don't gimme that shit you raciss bastard.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Latinas can pick my crops.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on November 23, 2012, 09:48:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2012, 09:42:39 PM

Meh, too ethnicky.
:blink:

You are all up in the ethnicky if it's of the Asian persuasion, so don't gimme that shit you raciss bastard.

:P There's well-blended ethnicky, like a choco-vanilla swirl, and then there's not so well-blended ethnicky, like a box of neopolitan.

Sheilbh

Wuthering Heights.

I loved this adaptation.  Andrea Arnold's directed a couple of pretty desolate British social realist films (Red Road and Fish Tank) and sort of brings that to this.

The really impressive thing is the sense of place, the way the moors and farmhouse are shot is brilliant.  I loved the feeling that there was almost no time or progress in this film.  You got the impression the life of the Earnshaws would have been much the same in the 16th century or post-Threads.  It only really looks Victorian when you see the grand house.

The other thing I liked about this a lot was the extent it stripped things back.  The childhood love story was beautifully shown, with a sort of knowingly innocent sexuality.  But it was like a sort of ur-Wuthering Heights.  It reminded me that in the novel the story is told via two very unreliable and partial narrators.  In this film you almost had the feeling that this was the real story that was later told by Nelly and Lockwood.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2012, 07:07:58 AM
Wuthering Heights.

I loved this adaptation.  Andrea Arnold's directed a couple of pretty desolate British social realist films (Red Road and Fish Tank) and sort of brings that to this.

The really impressive thing is the sense of place, the way the moors and farmhouse are shot is brilliant.  I loved the feeling that there was almost no time or progress in this film.  You got the impression the life of the Earnshaws would have been much the same in the 16th century or post-Threads.  It only really looks Victorian when you see the grand house.

The other thing I liked about this a lot was the extent it stripped things back.  The childhood love story was beautifully shown, with a sort of knowingly innocent sexuality.  But it was like a sort of ur-Wuthering Heights.  It reminded me that in the novel the story is told via two very unreliable and partial narrators.  In this film you almost had the feeling that this was the real story that was later told by Nelly and Lockwood.

Are you a woman?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

I sincerely believe, if the education system jettisoned Wuthering Heights from mandatory high school reading lists, more Americans would actually read.

Sheilbh

The world's divided into Wuthering Heights boys and girls who run around moors wailing, and anti-Wuthering Heightsists who get on with their lives.

I am an unabashed Wuthering Heights fan and entirely in the first category.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

And there's nothing wrong with that, Shiv. :hug: Let your freak flag fly.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011