News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on November 06, 2012, 09:24:56 AM
Agree about Boardwalk. It's become a bit of a struggle to sit through.

They need to drop the stories not directly involving Nuchy. Jimmy's mom, Capone, Luciano. Rosetti vs Thompson is what we want to see.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Although the Jimmy's mom stories tend to have nudity.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

I think I'll watch The final countdown before the results.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I'm in my third year of my Terps dynasty in NCAA 2013.  I live for recruiting.

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2012, 09:59:27 AM
I think I'll watch The final countdown before the results.

Watched it a couple of weeks ago, CAG FTW.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Synecdoche, New York. Fascinating, bizarre, amusing, incoherent, at times beautiful. I do think it would've probably been better if Kaufman had handed it off to another director, or at least had a good editor/producer/co-director hash things out with him; it's no Eternal Sunshine. But definitely worth a watch if you've enjoyed his films in the past.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Thor.  I enjoyed it a lot.  Possibly the most fun comic book film I've seen since Iron Man.  That one sort-of rode Robert Downey Jr's charisma.  This film is just very, very Kenneth Branagh in the best possible sense - hammy, Shakespearean and just self-aware enough to make it okay.

Tom Hiddlestone is superb.  I'll be looking for him again.  On this (and his Hollow Crown performances) he's a pretty special actor.

The only slight annoyance for me was that Chris Hemsworth maybe learned too much from Kenneth Branagh.  His accent was like Branagh's, so was his style.  And at moments he almost looked like the leading man Branagh never, ever was.

Overall though, superb.  Again the key is don't let comic book fans adapt comic books.

Edit:  Next film: Once Upon A Time In Anatolia or Kung Fu Panda 2.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2012, 11:20:08 PM
This film is just very, very Kenneth Branagh

:wub:

I will see it based on this statement alone.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Phillip V

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 05, 2012, 09:57:11 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 05, 2012, 08:31:24 PM
Sustainability wasn't the issue...they could have aborted, but she was all "kill me and cut out the baby at the same time!"

And I think the Ricktatorship is about to go full-crazy-Hitler-like.

I don't think there's going to be a Ricktatorship for much longer. I wonder how they're going to feed that baby.
Maggie and Beth will be impregnated to produce breast milk.

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2012, 10:36:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2012, 10:14:25 PM
re: the Governor, Andrea and Bad Ass Sister storyline--Andrea's being a starstruck tard.  I hope Michonne gets her fucking sword back, and soon.  If were her, I'd didi mau most riki tik the fuck outta there, with or without Andrea.

Andrea is always such an idiot, isn't she?
Andrea has man issues. She supported and fucked Shane in a car.

Being seduced by the badboy Governor should be no surprise.

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on November 08, 2012, 11:24:58 PM

You hadn't seen Thor before now?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Quote from: katmai on November 08, 2012, 11:32:53 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 08, 2012, 11:24:58 PM

You hadn't seen Thor before now?

Nope.  I've skipped a lot of comic films because some I have seen have generally been crap.  I hadn't heard any raving about Thor that drew me to watch it, so I skipped it.  I kinda wish I had done that with Captain America.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man II
Captain America
Ed Norton Hulk
would be my rankings of the individual hero films.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Haven't seen either of the Hulk films or Thor, but would agree with that assessment.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Thor.  I enjoyed it a lot.  Possibly the most fun comic book film I've seen since Iron Man.  That one sort-of rode Robert Downey Jr's charisma.  This film is just very, very Kenneth Branagh in the best possible sense - hammy, Shakespearean and just self-aware enough to make it okay.

Tom Hiddlestone is superb.  I'll be looking for him again.  On this (and his Hollow Crown performances) he's a pretty special actor.

The only slight annoyance for me was that Chris Hemsworth maybe learned too much from Kenneth Branagh.  His accent was like Branagh's, so was his style.  And at moments he almost looked like the leading man Branagh never, ever was.

Except Hamlet, Dead Again, Henry V, Frankenstein and so forth.  No, I guess I take your meaning.  :(

I do need to watch Thor.

QuoteOverall though, superb.  Again the key is don't let comic book fans adapt comic books.

Except Zack Snyder.  He's 2 for 2, and it'll be a hat trick come next May.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)