News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I got the Panzerlied stuck in my head now. FUCK YOU ALL.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

I wanna re-watch The Devil's Brigade. 
PDH!

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2012, 06:43:03 AM
I got the Panzerlied stuck in my head now. FUCK YOU ALL.

The movie is actually on right now here, so because of you i'm watching it. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2012, 06:21:16 AM
Battle of The Bulge is on.  As much as Robert Shaw is one of the greatest Englishmen to ever grace the earth, this movie gives me the trots.  What an atrocious excuse of a war film.

Midway was atrocious last night, too.  Ptooey.

Decided to watch The Thin Red Line.  It's not a war movie, it's a study. :wub:

Yep.  Watched some of that this morning. It's a silly movie.  Pattons attack Chaffees across the Belgian steppe.  Also that stupid part with Henry Fonda in the plane.  And the rolling fuel barrels.  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2012, 06:35:58 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 26, 2012, 06:08:03 AM
Storage Wars. God knows why. :(

YUUUUUUUUUP(tm)

There's something about that show...ran across it on cable once, and got hooked onto it for a bit.  Though the other similar shows...no interest.

Probably just that they took a mundane theme, found some interesting characters, and do it fairly well.  Even if their on-the-fly estimates for the value of some items (mostly the mundane ones) are crapola.

Sheilbh

Of Gods and Men.  Wonderful.
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

How are Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima?

I have wanted to see them but I don't watch movies so I haven't.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on May 26, 2012, 01:43:13 AM
I've finished watching all 8 seasons of The Office. I liked seasons 1-4 best. From there it went downhill. Jim and Pam have been rather bland/boring ever since they married, being the perfect couple without any major crisis. The characters started as caricatures of office people, now they feel like caricatures of the early characters.

Till season 7, Steve Carrell was the saving grace of the show. I only kept watching Season 8 because of Ed Helms as Andy Bernard (the character really grew on me since he was introduced in season 3) and James Spader as Robert California. Most of the plots were meh, the Andy/Erin storyline felt like a bit of a Jim/pam rehash, and the motional stakes on the whole were a lot lower.

Also, I hated Catherine Tate.

I started watching The Office when it went into syndication.  The early stuff was great, it did start to lose it later one.  All sitcoms die when there is a wedding or baby.

I am the same with Andy.  I hated him at first but he really grew on me, a great character.

Sheilbh

Quote from: sbr on May 26, 2012, 03:11:02 PM
How are Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima?

I have wanted to see them but I don't watch movies so I haven't.
Letters from Iwo Jima is quite impressive.  Flags of our Fathers isn't.  Neither's Eastwood's best work.

I liked The Office.  I liked the last season and loved the Catherine Tate character.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I thought Letters from Iwo Jima was weak and Flags of our Fathers was watchable but not great, or even good.

The Brain

Flags Of Our Fathers was weak.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

That's too bad.  I guess I won't waste my time with either then.

Ed Anger

Letters has plenty of dead Japs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: sbr on May 26, 2012, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 26, 2012, 01:43:13 AM
I've finished watching all 8 seasons of The Office. I liked seasons 1-4 best. From there it went downhill. Jim and Pam have been rather bland/boring ever since they married, being the perfect couple without any major crisis. The characters started as caricatures of office people, now they feel like caricatures of the early characters.

Till season 7, Steve Carrell was the saving grace of the show. I only kept watching Season 8 because of Ed Helms as Andy Bernard (the character really grew on me since he was introduced in season 3) and James Spader as Robert California. Most of the plots were meh, the Andy/Erin storyline felt like a bit of a Jim/pam rehash, and the motional stakes on the whole were a lot lower.

Also, I hated Catherine Tate.

I started watching The Office when it went into syndication.  The early stuff was great, it did start to lose it later one.  All sitcoms die when there is a wedding or baby.

I am the same with Andy.  I hated him at first but he really grew on me, a great character.

I thought Spader's character was annoying. Also, while Jim and Pam may be boring, Jim and Dwight is still pretty entertaining. Best parts of last season IMO.

As for Andy, he's a likable character, but he doesn't have the manic comedic value to center the show around like a Michael Scott.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Just got back from the drive-in, saw Dark Shadows with Men In Black 3.  Dark Shadows was damned good, but was overshadowed by MIB3, IMO, which really surprised me.  The plot was really fine-tuned, it had me laughing so hard I was crying, but it still dished out a good story.  A couple of spoiler-free bullet points:

• Ever since they let slip that at least part took place in the past, everybody who'd seen 1 and 2 couldn't help but wonder what kind of backstory might be slipped in.  Well, there is backstory, and it's surprising, so barring spoilers, there's no way to see it coming.
  • Josh Brolin is perfect as Young K, and not just in appearance; if it wasn't for the timbre of his voice, you could totally believe you're watching an age-regressed Tommy Lee Jones playing the role
  • This line from the original is finally answered: "How many times you neuralize me, K?"
Experience bij!