Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

"House" series finale.

Pretty darned good ending.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

QuoteMarried couple picks up hitchhiking John Waters in Kansas

Filmmaker John Waters' crazy cross-country hitchhiking journey continues, with word Monday that he sped through Kansas with a middle-aged married couple from Illinois.

Laura Broviac and Michael McHaney, she a county Democratic Party chief, he a circuit judge, were motoring through Junction City, Kansas, this weekend and according to wjbdradio.com, saw a man near an exit ramp holding a sign. She thought he looked like Waters and after a quick Google search, found that the Baltimore filmmaker was in fact hitchhiking across country.

She made her husband turn around on the double.

Waters apparently began his hitchhiking odyssey last week in Baltimore -- he was spotted standing near St. Paul in Guilford with a sign. The band Here We Go Magic then found him in eastern Ohio, close to the Pennsylvania border. They nearly passed him by but like the couple, a band member thought he looked very familiar.

After picking the guy up and realizing their hunch was correct, band members immediately began Tweeting their good fortune: "Just picked up John Waters hitchhiking in the middle of Ohio.. No joke. Waters in the van."

Band member Jen Turner revealed later on Twitter, that she and the band "tearfully" parted with Waters on the side of the road in Indiana, calling him "the real deal" and "a true artist."

"He just wanted an adventure," Turner said. "Imagine!"

From there, the director somehow got to Kansas, where the couple ran into him.

According to wjbdradio.com, Waters stayed with the couple all the way to Denver, Colorado.

After eight hours in the car with Waters, the couple learned a lot.

"He had stories about Faye Dunaway and he talked about his most major accomplishment of selling out the Sydney, Australia Opera House while working as a stand up comedian," Broviac told WJBD.  "Of course his type of work isn't for everyone, but chances are you've seen Hair Spray or seen the Simpson's and maybe the episode he narrated."

Waters told the couple he is planning to write a book about his adventures.

"We'll have to see how he viewed us," Broviac told the station. "I laughed and said, 'do you think you just got the most boring people to pick you up at almost the end of your ride'.  He said 'no, no, you're very interesting' and said he enjoyed his time with us."

Like he did with the band, Waters treated the couple to lunch to help repay their generosity with the ride. And -- even better than lunch -- he allowed the two to "dumpster dive" with him to find another piece of cardboard to make a new hitchhiking sign.

Neil

Finally saw the Oldman Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

My god, I really miss the old school spy film, which was more like a mystery then the current crop of 'Grim Aggressor Bond cuts terrorist in half with a burst of machine gun fire. Rinse.  Repeat.' action-spy films.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Skyfall trailer looks interesting.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Oh, I meant to say I watched Avengers the other night.  It was really cool.

However, the scope of the threat presented at the end was... weak.  It was fun to watch but I never bought that the regular military couldn't have handled that shit.

Neil!  Did you see it, and the first interstitial credits sequence?  The sequel tease.

They could fuck that up.  But that line, and the reaction shot, was perfect.  Dunno about blue eyes, though.  Where the fuck did they get that from? :shrug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2012, 02:18:52 AM
Oh, I meant to say I watched Avengers the other night.  It was really cool.

However, the scope of the threat presented at the end was... weak.  It was fun to watch but I never bought that the regular military couldn't have handled that shit.

:yeahright:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

[spoiler]Black Widow was shooting them with a gun.  How is this different from how ordinary soldiers would've handled it?[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2012, 02:30:23 AM
[spoiler]Black Widow was shooting them with a gun.  How is this different from how ordinary soldiers would've handled it?[/spoiler]

Boring

Not a superhero  ;)

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

By that logic, english longbowmen could have defeat them....oh wait  there was a god and the Hulk there too.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

I'm just saying it could've been better than fighting an army of Lobos backed up by clones of the bosses from Darius Twin.

It was better in the comic it was inspired by, the Ultimates (less the Avengers, in regards this).  The Chitauri threat there was far more, er, threatening.  They had giant ships, a world-destroying bomb, and just a lot more gravitas in general.  Even though I'm glad they weren't fucking Nazis in the movie ( :rolleyes: ), they still came off as badder-ass in the book.

Anyway, the best parts of the movie was the interaction between the characters, and Loki's deception of Black Widow when it looked like Widow was deceiving him.  My favorite bit, that.

Here's another random thing I liked, and I wonder if they had to fight for--Cap's affirmation of his Christianity (well, I'm assuming he's not Jewish or Muslim or a Sikh).  I thought that was a great line, and true to him being some standard issue white guy from 1945.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2012, 02:52:46 AM
I thought that was a great line, and true to him being some standard issue white guy from 1945.

That's Government Issue, son.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on May 23, 2012, 02:38:12 AM

By that logic, english longbowmen could have defeat them....oh wait  there was a god and the Hulk there too.

Bah...now, if a time space continuum dropped the USS Enterprise into earth orbit, it would've been OK.

Jaron

I have to agree with Ide. I wondered if Black Widow would have had any redeeming qualities to bring to the team other than her sex appeal.

Other than the flying cockroach fish n' ships, I don't know why the military couldn't handle it on their own. And the nuke would have been fine - American arms win the day yet again.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2012, 02:34:48 AM
Not a superhero  ;)

Hot as holy shitballs, yes.
Superhero armed less than your average NYPD beat cop, no.