News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Red Cliff.  The abridged Western version.  Worth it.

Passport to Pimlico.  Brilliant.  Is this an Ealing Comedy? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2012, 10:08:21 AM

I've been put off by its abridgedness so far. Is there any way to get a subbed uncut version of it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2012, 10:40:02 AM
I've been put off by its abridgedness so far. Is there any way to get a subbed uncut version of it?
Yeah.  I've got the full version on DVD so they sell it subbed in English at least.

I'd recommend watching the abridged version first just because it explains the period and characters a bit more for a non-Chinese audience.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Kill List.  Rejoice!  British folk horror lives!

That's the closest I can come to describing the genre of this film.  It sits uneasily with films (it does everything uneasily) like Witchfinder General, the Wicker Man and Blood on Satan's Claw.  It's well made and looks and sounds great.  But it's confused.  I'm not sure that it makes sense or is even lurching towards coherence.

The final third is a bit more of a normal horror film.  I think it's the weakest bit.  The remarkable stuff is in the first two thirds which have this rumbling atmosphere and a very Pinter-esque/Mike Leigh like sensibility.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Watched a movie on Sundance about 4 Scottish university students snatching the Stone of Scone from Westminster as a Scottish nationalist gesture.  Not really enough going on plot wise to fill up a feature length film.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2012, 07:08:38 PM
Watched a movie on Sundance about 4 Scottish university students snatching the Stone of Scone from Westminster as a Scottish nationalist gesture.  Not really enough going on plot wise to fill up a feature length film.
Based on a true story.  But, yeah, the film got dreadful reviews.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

From the biased English press no doubt. 

The love interest is kind of cute.

The lead is Nuckiy's torpedo in Boardwalk Empire.

Habbaku

The Cabin In The Woods last night.  Wow.

9 tropes cleverly and hilariously used out of 10.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Watched part of Bad Bosses last night.  I think this flick bombed on the big screen so I was expecting crap, but there was quite a bit of humor in there.

Police interrogation room:

"The automatic camera took your picture while you were fleeing the site of a murder and running a red light."

"I was drag racing.  I'm a drag racer."

"In a Prius?"

"I don't win a lot."

Josephus

Watched A Separation, the Iranian movie that won stuff at the Academies. Thought it was alright, could have used a half hour trim perhaps.

Also watched the Straw Dogs remake. Why, oh why do they mess with the classics.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

The new Looney Tunes series is friggin bitchin'.
PDH!

HVC

Quote from: katmai on April 12, 2012, 08:05:23 PM

IF you are gonna insult someone on his heritage get it right
:yes:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on April 15, 2012, 09:14:24 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 12, 2012, 08:05:23 PM

IF you are gonna insult someone on his heritage get it right
:yes:

You Mexicans gotta stick together.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2012, 10:08:21 AM

You mean Dynasty Warriors : Red Cliff? Part 1 really felt like I was watching live Dynasty Warriors game with Wire Fu. The tactics made no sense.

Part 2 was good, though.