News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Rosanna Arquette(or is it Patricia?) would have ruined television for me, except that I've avoided watching that show.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

I was looking forward to see Kate Beckingsale return to her leather suit as Selene, but the trailer looks lame. Much like the other Underworld moves of course, but still.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2011, 06:14:10 PM
Rosanna Arquette(or is it Patricia?) would have ruined television for me, except that I've avoided watching that show.  :hmm:

Rosanna is the one with the trim bod and the horsey face.  Patricia is the one with the pleasant face but a little on the lardy side.

Ideologue

Hey, Brad Neely's China, IL came back.  I'd practically forgotten about it.  Luckily Adult Swim's got the episodes up (if chopped up into annoying clips).  I miss the MSPaint-like non-animation animation--the redone character designs especially have a major acceptance curve to them--and there's an essential darkness that seems to be missing, but mostly it's pretty good, if slightly disappointing after the simply awesome web shorts, the apogee of the pilot and the insane fucking wait... the pilot aired in 2008--what the fuck is wrong with Cartoon Network that they every Goddamned series I like takes them three and a half years a season?  See also, the Venture Bros.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Liep on November 04, 2011, 07:32:09 PM
I was looking forward to see Kate Beckingsale return to her leather suit as Selene, but the trailer looks lame. Much like the other Underworld moves of course, but still.
Notices this:
J. Michael Straczynski       screenplay

I'm hooked :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

Watched "Inglorious Basterds" at my roommate's insistence.  As stupid and repulsive as I thought it would be.  Some of the acting was OK.  Enjoyed the tip of the hat to Henri-Georges Clouzot.  Otherwise, it confirms everything disgusting I expected from the movie and Tarantino's fundamental worthlessness as a director.

EDIT:  It also may be the nadir of the treatment of the Holocaust in popular culture.  It's success seems to say:  if you want to make a movie about the joys of graphically torturing and killing human beings, just make it vengeance for the Holocaust and nobody can really criticize it.  When it is the same attitudes of celebrating brutality that enabled the Holocaust in the first place.   :(  Genuinely saddening from a talented director and cast with tons of Hollywood money at their disposal.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 07, 2011, 02:43:25 AM
Tarantino's fundamental worthlessness as a director. ...
  Genuinely saddening from a talented director

:hmm:

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 07, 2011, 02:53:20 AM
Tarantino's fundamental worthlessness as a director. ...
  Genuinely saddening from a talented director

:hmm:

:huh:  Technically talented, meaningfully worthless.

Did I stutter?   :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Eddie Teach

I don't use  :huh: and  :hmm: interchangeably.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 07, 2011, 03:53:13 AM
I don't use  :huh: and  :hmm: interchangeably.

Great.  It would be really nice if you provided all of us with a "Complete Guide To Eddie Teach's One Emoticon Insinuation Responses."   :) 

viper37

Hell's on Wheels, AMC.
A former Confederate soldier is seeking vengeance from the Union Soldiers who raped&killed his wife during the war.
Of course, they man is a noble hero.  He fought for honor, not for slavery.  He freed all his slaves one year before the war and kept them on wages.
Can't have the 'hero' a proud slave owner, now can't we?

Aside that, I kinda like the show so far, I think it has an interesting premise: the building of the first transcontinental railroad and the machinations behind it, similar in nature to BoardWalk Empire.

Will watch it again, see how it evolves. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Watched "Inglorious Basterds" at my roommate's insistence.  As stupid and repulsive as I thought it would be.  Some of the acting was OK.  Enjoyed the tip of the hat to Henri-Georges Clouzot.  Otherwise, it confirms everything disgusting I expected from the movie and Tarantino's fundamental worthlessness as a director.

EDIT:  It also may be the nadir of the treatment of the Holocaust in popular culture.  It's success seems to say:  if you want to make a movie about the joys of graphically torturing and killing human beings, just make it vengeance for the Holocaust and nobody can really criticize it.  When it is the same attitudes of celebrating brutality that enabled the Holocaust in the first place.   :(  Genuinely saddening from a talented director and cast with tons of Hollywood money at their disposal.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius