News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 29, 2023, 06:27:56 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 28, 2023, 04:37:00 PMIt's certainly better than Crystal Skull, but that's not saying much. I mean, I didn't hate it, but I can't really recommend it either.

Thanks, I feel reassured now  :P

Will watch it at the Fête du Cinéma so as to limit damage (max. price 5 € (double what I paid for Crystal Skulls though).

:cool:

Fellow skinflint.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Honestly I don't get the hate crystal skull gets. It was a fun silly film. As Indy should be.
Never going to many anyone's favourite film lists but perfectly fine for what it was
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on June 29, 2023, 08:03:59 AMHonestly I don't get the hate crystal skull gets. It was a fun silly film. As Indy should be.
Never going to many anyone's favourite film lists but perfectly fine for what it was

It had aliens.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on June 29, 2023, 08:03:59 AMHonestly I don't get the hate crystal skull gets. It was a fun silly film. As Indy should be.

It was indeed perfectly fine for a rape of childhood movie à la Episode I and/or a CGI crapfest.

Josquius

QuoteIt had aliens. 

And the originals had supernatural elements

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 29, 2023, 08:20:59 AM

It was indeed perfectly fine for a rape of childhood movie à la Episode I and/or a CGI crapfest.

It was infinitely better than the star wars prequels
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I didn't mind the alien theme in Crystal Skull actually. Just that the movie was awful.

Quote from: Josquius on June 29, 2023, 10:29:55 AMIt was infinitely better than the star wars prequels

A dentist appointment is better than watching the Star Wars prequels, though.

HVC

The prequels aren't great, but infinitely better than crystal skull. Sequels on the other hand.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2023, 11:14:20 AMThe prequels aren't great, but infinitely better than crystal skull. Sequels on the other hand.

Prequels are definitely flawed but have some interesting ideas and visuals.

Crystal Skull was not good.  I haven't seen it since its release, maybe it would grow on me on second viewing.

SW sequels... TFA was a virtual remake of the original, but good in its own way.  TLJ was great and I'll die on that hill.  ROS then crapped all over the other two movies and was beyond terrible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2023, 11:18:54 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2023, 11:14:20 AMThe prequels aren't great, but infinitely better than crystal skull. Sequels on the other hand.

Crystal Skull was not good.  I haven't seen it since its release, maybe it would grow on me on second viewing.

SW sequels... TFA was a virtual remake of the original, but good in its own way.  TLJ was great and I'll die on that hill.  ROS then crapped all over the other two movies and was beyond terrible.

:yes: The third movie made the previous two worse in retrospect.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on June 29, 2023, 11:50:35 AM

That's a fair assessment.

Josquius

The second was decent as a stand alone film though it wasn't a suitable main trilogy star wars film and completely fucked the entire idea of a sequel trilogy.
The third inherited a shit situation and had to try and work with it.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Just like the original 3 :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2023, 02:36:46 PM

Just like the original 3 :P

I will also die on the hill that ROTJ is great, as are the Ewoks. :ultra:

HVC

Haha. The ewoks are an age thing.  When I first watched I was older and thought they were dumb.

I will admit while I appreciate Star Wars as a cultural thing, they were never my favourites to begin with.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2023, 02:42:45 PMHaha. The ewoks are an age thing.  When I first watched I was older and thought they were dumb.

I will admit while I appreciate Star Wars as a cultural thing, they were never my favourites to begin with.

So for starters, I saw Jedi in the theatre when first released, and I was just old enough to remember seeing it in the theatre, so I was what - 8 i think.  That undoubtedly colours my thoughts on the film.

Ewoks - come on we have enough examples of less advanced societies ultimately defeating more advanced societies on the battlefield.  Think Vietnam (given the year the movie came out) or Afghanistan.  Also being kid-friendly has always been a part of Star Wars (I had a bunch of Star Wars action figures, my kids have tons of Star Wars lego sets).

A second Death Star is not exactly a novel narrative choice (and of course one the series returned to yet again in TFA), but the visuals of the half-completed Death Star were awesome, in particular in a pre-CGI era.

I don't know that anything was gained by saying Leia was Luke's sister (other than an odd way out of the potential love triangle), but I don't think anything was harmed by that revelation either.

And finally - Luke winning not by defeating Palpatine/Vader, but by surrendering?  By ultimately redeeming his father by his sacrifice?  That was a bold choice.