News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 23, 2023, 08:26:31 PMSymbols of what?

In the sense of types.  The helpless fuck up, the frustrated overachiever mom, the thug friend, etc.

viper37

Ant & the Wasp: Quantumania.

What a bore.  I think Marvel has lost its touch.

In other news, I've just begun Halo.  Never played the game, it being a console exclusive and I being a PC exclusive player for the better part of my life.  I really liked the first episode.  The lead character, Master Chief, John 117, is a cross between Mando and an Ultra Marine from Warhammer 40k from what I can see.

Story is pretty simple: In the far future some colonies want to secede from Earth.  Earth does not want it so they send Ultra Marines Spartans to quell the rebellions, but before they arrive, the secessionists stumble on the Alien Covenant, some big, bad aliens that are searching for something and wants to wipe all witnesses.  The Spartans arrive and save the day. After everyone but one survivor is killed by the aliens.

It doesn't seem to be a straight good vs evil battle so far, so I think I'm gonna like this one. :)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2023, 05:33:03 PMMy interest in Beef is waning.  The characters seem more like symbols than human beings.

That's a shame. I've only wanted two episodes and have liked it a lot so far.

Syt

Episode 5 of S1 of "Sunderland 'til I die."

Best line of the show so far, from the taxi driver with a season ticket, complaining about the state of the club and the papers starting to drop the club from their reporting:

"There wasn't even a match report in the Daily Mail on Monday. Not a line! Tory bastards!" :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2023, 12:29:39 PMEpisode 5 of S1 of "Sunderland 'til I die."

Best line of the show so far, from the taxi driver with a season ticket, complaining about the state of the club and the papers starting to drop the club from their reporting:

"There wasn't even a match report in the Daily Mail on Monday. Not a line! Tory bastards!" :lol:

We did it before it was cool WREXHAM.

Eagerly awaiting the more positive 3rd series.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

The second series has some incredibly good moments too. It's a very good series.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

It may sound odd, but seeing the Sunderland area and the people in the area, etc., it reminds me a fair bit of North Germany, including the accent a little bit.

(Though I nearly lost it at the local lady saying they needed to "kape a clane shate" (keep a clean sheet). :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Saw one episode and the only thought I had was England is lucky to have London or they'd be screwed :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2023, 07:39:08 AMRIP Barry Humphries :(
And a prepared obit for the Telegraph from Dame Edna on his demise :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on April 24, 2023, 01:09:48 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2023, 12:29:39 PMEpisode 5 of S1 of "Sunderland 'til I die."

Sunderland Till I Die is a very obvious model for Welcome to Wrexham.  I think it was part of what convinced Rob and Ryan to buy the team in the first place.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2023, 03:06:46 PMSaw one episode and the only thought I had was England is lucky to have London or they'd be screwed :P

Do you believe Toronto fills the same position? 🧐
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 24, 2023, 10:08:50 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 24, 2023, 03:06:46 PMSaw one episode and the only thought I had was England is lucky to have London or they'd be screwed :P

Do you believe Toronto fills the same position? 🧐

Toronto is definitely closer on the spectrum to London than it is Sunderland :P

I also lived in Hamilton for a while, so I know a shithole when I see one :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2023, 05:01:53 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 24, 2023, 01:09:48 PM

Sunderland Till I Die is a very obvious model for Welcome to Wrexham.  I think it was part of what convinced Rob and Ryan to buy the team in the first place.

Every single team seems to have a "behind the doors" documentary these days. Barça did one of their fairly disastrous 2021-2022 season that I don't have the courage to watch (and I presume it will increadibly massaged and filtered, Sunderland Till I Die felt fairly candid).

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on April 25, 2023, 01:00:59 AM(and I presume it will increadibly massaged and filtered

Which is why I stay clear of many sports documentaries, because they more often than not want to tell an inspiring story (and of course many of the real life stories truly are), but then turn into hagiographies instead of providing a more balanced picture.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Yeah. Most of them seem to be just promo pieces for the team.

Welcome to Wrexham I've been slowly watching but it doesn't appeal to me too much. I think it's the bouncing around that does it. Like the episode explaining what Wales is. A funny one off joke taken too far to a whole episodes length.

One I did like and I'm sad they're making no more is class of 92 and more so out of their league. It really gave an insight into non league football and I felt I learned from it.

QuoteIt may sound odd, but seeing the Sunderland area and the people in the area, etc., it reminds me a fair bit of North Germany, including the accent a little bit.

(Though I nearly lost it at the local lady saying they needed to "kape a clane shate" (keep a clean sheet). :lol:

One of Sunderlands "closest" cities= Bielfield apparently.

https://www.centreforcities.org/competing-with-the-continent/factsheets/sunderland/
██████
██████
██████