And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: viper37 on April 16, 2023, 09:17:13 PMGodless
Mini series from 2017.
I guess Languish does not have many fans of westerns, because I don't recall this show ever being mentioned here.

Labelle, New Mexico, is a town nearly entirely populated by women.
One night, an injured outlaw, on the run from his mentor, crash into a nearby ranch.  His former boss, Frank (Jeff Daniels), a ruthless psychopath, search for him throughout the area.

It's really interesting, very well written, even if you're not a fan of westerns you should like this one. There's the main plot, with Frank and his gang searching a large area for their former comrade Roy Goode, but there's the whole dynamic of a late 19th century small town filled with women and their challenges, after most of their men died in a mining disaster.

Highly recommend this one, it's a Netflix show.

I watched it when it came out. Excellent series. I do like westerns though - currently enjoying 1883, a prequel to Yellowstone.

Josephus

Anyone watching Hank, the series with Bob Ogdenk, Odgke, Saul from Breaking Bad? He plays the head of the English department at a community college, depressed with everything in his life. The most recent episode was very well done.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

I'm three episodes in so far. It's a nice, little show.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

New Ted Lasso episode was very lovely and a nice breather. :)

The soundtrack on the house boat weirded me out, though. :D

I recognized the first song on the radio - it's "Und es war Sommer, one of German singer Peter Maffay's greatest hits, but in a Dutch cover version (Google-fu says it's the 1977 version by Rob de Nijs, "Het Werd Zomer"?). :blink:

Then the Dutch cover of a Kenny Rogers song - less notable, but stuff like this was a staple for my childhood and my parents' preference for an oldies/schlager station: many 60s/70s hits from the US and UK had incredibly successful German cover versions. In some cases I only learned of the existence of the original much later. Happy to hear our neighbors did the same. :P

And finally, coming back to Peter Maffay, with his 1970 debut song "Du", but this time in the German original. I thought someone in the sound department messed up, but no - turns out the song was number 1 in Netherlands and Belgium for several weeks in 1970, and is still popular today, it seems. https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du_(Peter_Maffay) :lol:

Just really not the kind of music I expected from this show, ever. :D

Best line in the episode, from Will while on the phone with his mum: "And I met this awesome couple who invited me to a threesome." :o :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

In 2009 The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press ceased regular home delivery.  This was a hard blow to my Grandfather who turned 90 that year, and had home delivery of both papers his entire adult life (and who wasn't on the interwebs.)  I was reminded of that this morning when I got a message that Netflix was going to cease delivery of DVDs in September.

I was disappointed, but not really surprised; since I think I'm the only person left in America who still watches DVDs.  I am not at all impressed by Netflix's streaming content; so I'll cancel in a couple days.  Does anyone subscribe to The Criterion Channel?  That looks like the best fit for me; but I'm curious if it is any good.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on April 19, 2023, 04:12:22 PMIn 2009 The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press ceased regular home delivery.  This was a hard blow to my Grandfather who turned 90 that year, and had home delivery of both papers his entire adult life (and who wasn't on the interwebs.)  I was reminded of that this morning when I got a message that Netflix was going to cease delivery of DVDs in September.

I was disappointed, but not really surprised; since I think I'm the only person left in America who still watches DVDs.  I am not at all impressed by Netflix's streaming content; so I'll cancel in a couple days.  Does anyone subscribe to The Criterion Channel?  That looks like the best fit for me; but I'm curious if it is any good.

:sad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on April 19, 2023, 04:12:22 PM...I think I'm the only person left in America who still watches DVDs.

You are not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 19, 2023, 06:02:18 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 19, 2023, 04:12:22 PM...I think I'm the only person left in America who still watches DVDs.

You are not.

Yeah, we have some favourites we watch from time to time.  Its just easier then trying to remember what streaming service they might be on and whether it still holds the rights.  I wish we had collected more when we had the chance.

Grey Fox

I can mail you some DVDs, CC. Not interested in my dad's collection.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2023, 07:40:08 PMI can mail you some DVDs, CC. Not interested in my dad's collection.

I would definitely take delivery :)

Josquius

I don't even currently have a setup capable of playing British DVDs.  :blush:
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I bought a Blu-Ray player the other day. They're pretty cheap. Mostly I use it for music concert films.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on April 19, 2023, 04:12:22 PMI was disappointed, but not really surprised; since I think I'm the only person left in America who still watches DVDs.  I am not at all impressed by Netflix's streaming content; so I'll cancel in a couple days.  Does anyone subscribe to The Criterion Channel?  That looks like the best fit for me; but I'm curious if it is any good.

Yeah, the US or possibly North America in general, is more advanced in preferring blu-ray i.e HD over DVD, as far as physical media go.  :P

Dematerialised is huge over here as well, but being a genre and sometime classics aficionado, Netflix and the like is nowhere near enough.
That german blu-release of a Better Tomorrow II was a bit of disappointment, only marginally better than the DVDs I have (seems close to the Korean ones only with the original mono this time). OTOH, Bruno Mattei's work (he is no Lucio Fulci beware) has been released on UHD.  :lol:
I'm still waiting for good releases of John Woo's classics outside of the Far East, mind you. A Better Tomorrow II, german blu-ray edition was not exactly much better than the DVDs I have.

Criterion moving to UHD means the end of region-locking so it's more interesting than their geo-locked (unless VPN'ed) streaming/dematerisalised service for the few titles I would be willing to get (e.g la Règle du Jeu and Baron Munchausen).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on April 20, 2023, 04:04:51 AMI don't even currently have a setup capable of playing British DVDs.  :blush:

Region problem or no player at all?
DVD drives are dirt cheap for computers (Blu-ray is another story).

Otherwise, most consoles since PS2 days days have a DVD drive (Nintendo being the notable exception). Avoid crappy "digital" versions however (PS5 & latest X-Box).

garbon

I use my ps4 for dvd/bluray. I have already told my husband that at some point we will need to get rid of our collections of dvds (and cds!) that we basically never watch.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.