News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Started watching the great. It is rather great. It's death of stalin the series ala blackadder.
Funny to see so much of the reaction online is pointing out historical inaccuracies. Like... Yeah? Duh? So?

Also started watching lupin and its proving surprisingly good. American style and production values in a French show. Intruigingly its no 2 on the Netflix UK chart. Brits are coming around to subtitles?
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The Great is a really, really good show. The historical inaccuracies only bother people who are missing the point.

Huzzah.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Disenchanted season three is coming out soon.  It has grown on me.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2021, 06:33:01 PM

I believe it starts tomorrow. It also grew on me, at first I was slightly dissapointed, as I expected something more "Futurama-ish", so to speak, but once I went past that I started to appreciate it more and more.

Malthus

I enjoyed it as well - looking forward to more.

I'm rewatching The Expanse, which also has new episodes coming out now.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on January 14, 2021, 06:17:12 PM
The Great is a really, really good show. The historical inaccuracies only bother people who are missing the point.

Huzzah.
I'm enjoying it a lot. Makes a lot of sense that it's got the same writer as The Favourite.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 14, 2021, 06:42:38 PM

I believe it starts tomorrow. It also grew on me, at first I was slightly dissapointed, as I expected something more "Futurama-ish", so to speak, but once I went past that I started to appreciate it more and more.

I don't know... it's fine, but at the same time I didn't fall in love with it. Might give it another chance, but my queue is so stuffed right now...

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Larch on January 14, 2021, 06:42:38 PM

I liked it, though it took awhile.  The second series improved quite a bit.

We started watching Mythic Quest Raven's Banquet.  I think it can get really good or really bad.

Snoopy in Space was cute.
PDH!

Josquius

I'm watching the new series of Expanse too. Its decent.
Though I completely failed to realise who the girl Amos visits in prison is until I caught a random article online. Thought it was some mysterious old flame from Baltimore or so at first.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

WandaVision :unsure:

22 minutes in and the "comedy" bit is finally ending I hope.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Liep on January 15, 2021, 06:32:22 PM

It didn't. I don't get it. Are we going to have to watch 25 minutes of an unfunny bit every time to get to the seconds worth of plot in the end?

I feel like I'm missing something because I've never seen the 50-60's style comedies they're copying.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I quit about 5 minutes in. Not interested in sitcoms, especially broad ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on January 15, 2021, 06:32:22 PM

I liked it. :)

They're clearly building to something.  There's clearly a mystery going on.  But I'm also just familiar enough with 60s-era sitcoms to find some enjoyment in them playing out some of the hoariest tropes of the era.

My kids though didn't really know what the hell to make of it, having zero concept of what even a sitcom is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Bewitched?  Beverley Hillbillies?  The Dick Van Dyke Show?   What are we talking about?