News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Death Note. Fascinating. Light is one of the greatest cartoon villains of all time. [spoiler]I just would have preferred if he lost to Frogboy instead of cherubic hair twirler.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2021, 03:58:41 PM
I guess you guys are too young to remember Heaven Can Wait

I liked Defending Your Life.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on January 12, 2021, 04:08:31 PM
the definitive heaven and redemption movie is obviously all dogs go to heaven :P
You are not wrong.

And obvs in second place a Matter of Life and Death.

Speaking of which  - need to watch the new Black Narcissus on the BBC. If we have to remake everything into lavish origin story TV series we could do a lot worse than pillage Powell and Pressburger. I feel like there's at least 6 series in Life and Death of Colonel Blimp :wub: (I'd pitch that as topical exploration of Brexit England :hmm:)
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

I just saw the 3rd episode of 30 coins. [spoiler] the one with the mirror. Quite the twist! Bit of a mind bender. [/spoiler]
  Very impressed with this show so far.

The Larch

Quote from: KRonn on January 12, 2021, 08:40:17 PM
I just saw the 3rd episode of 30 coins. [spoiler] the one with the mirror. Quite the twist! Bit of a mind bender. [/spoiler]

IIRC that particular episode was inspired in a Phillip K Dick short story, a bit of a deviation from the fantasy-occult theme of the show, but fits quite well the way they used it.

Admiral Yi

One quibble with House of Cards, the amount of media attention lobbyists get.

I don't argue they're not players, or powerful, or important; I argue the media doesn't give a shit about them, except as abstractions.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2021, 10:55:15 PM

I don't argue they're not players, or powerful, or important; I argue the media doesn't give a shit about them, except as abstractions.
I think they're probably very useful/important sources and on a personal level very much move in the same waters/pubs as the media in that they're slightly on the outside looking in.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Finished S3 of Boardwalk Empire. This show really likes its [spoiler]Taxi Driver[/spoiler] references. It's a good thing that [spoiler]Richard Harrow early on was established as completely ruthless (by suggesting they murder innocent family members to draw out some rivals) or he would be way too goody two shoes[/spoiler].
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2021, 10:55:15 PM

Do you think lobbyists only work politicians?

KRonn

Quote from: The Larch on January 12, 2021, 08:47:35 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 12, 2021, 08:40:17 PM

IIRC that particular episode was inspired in a Phillip K Dick short story, a bit of a deviation from the fantasy-occult theme of the show, but fits quite well the way they used it.
It was quite a different turn that where the characters and story went to. I wasn't expecting it and it was pretty awesome.

Tonitrus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY8gUtyeAKE

:hmm:

I know it's going to be bad...but almost feels like it could be that kinda-good nostalgic bad.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2021, 03:34:45 AM
I think they're probably very useful/important sources and on a personal level very much move in the same waters/pubs as the media in that they're slightly on the outside looking in.

Don't disagree.  I'm talking about being featured in the news. 

Unless they break the law.

Eddie Teach

Lupin. About a talented con artist. Exciting.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2021, 04:45:56 PMDon't disagree.  I'm talking about being featured in the news. 

Unless they break the law.
Fair. Or you write a gossip column.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 14, 2021, 03:22:09 AM
Lupin. About a talented con artist. Exciting.
That is good, and based on a real, less heroic, guy.
PDH!