And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Well shit, for some reason Netflix started me off on S6E7.  :wacko:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 10, 2021, 06:23:36 PM
Episode 1, Season 1.

Otherwise, you may be watching the British original.

The British original was pretty bad-ass.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

The first Marvel Comic property to have a theatrical release was the 40s era Captain America serial (at the time Marvel was called "Timely Comics").  It would be over 40 years until the second release, and the first feature length:

Howard the Duck (1986)

While clearly misunderstood at the time, this film was a trailblazing effort in inter-species romance cinema which would ultimately cumulate in the Oscar win for that fish-sex movie a few years ago.  George Lucas is truly a pioneer. :Canuck:

;)

While not the worst film ever to come out of Lucasfilm, (now that's damning with faint praise), this one is out there.  It has a large budget and a talented cast (Lea Thompson, Jeffery Jones and a pre-Bull Durham Tim Robbins); but none of them seem to know how to act with the duck puppet.  The duck puppet is limited and ugly, so that's not such a surprise.  The movie has the zany ensemble cast (girl punk rockers, hillbillies, sinister scientists) and incoherent plot that would be the staple of many 80s B movies (which would go on to become fodder for MST3K.)  That's not good, but where the movie really fails is in it's attempts at humor.  There's an enormous chase scene that feels ripped off from Blues Brothers, but where the movie really fails is the duck puns.  There's only so many duck puns you should be allowed to use, and that congress didn't actually make a law concerning this obvious menace to society, in my view, is one of the major failures of Ronald Reagan era America.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on January 11, 2021, 05:47:23 PM
There's an enormous chase scene that feels ripped off from Blues Brothers, but where the movie really fails is the duck puns.  There's only so many duck puns you should be allowed to use, and that congress didn't actually make a law concerning this obvious menace to society, in my view, is one of the major failures of Ronald Reagan era America.

I'm not touching this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Midnight Diner on Netflix.

A cute, low-key Japanese series.  Worth watching.

Josquius

Midnight diner... I dunno. It just doesn't sit well with me. It's too much in the style of typical cheesy Japanese TV for elderly people, despite the more adult plots. The low keyness of it... Brings up negative nostalgia.

Saw first episode of the Great. It is rather good.
Seems quite a growing trend in very recent years for race blind casting in vaguely historic pieces. I can taste the delicious racist rage.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Man, House of Cards sure is a heck of a lot better when you start at the beginning.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2021, 01:53:30 PM
Watched Pixar's Soul last night with the kids.

It was a good movie.  For a movie without any fights or action the kids even agreed it was a good movie.  The visuals on the extra-dimensional Jerrys / Terry were really quite cool.  Music was good, it was funny - all the stuff you'd expect from Pixar.

I dunno though - it feels like it wasn't a great movie.  For a movie about "finding your spark"... only to reveal that there's no such thing feels a little hollow.  And for a movie about the afterlife it can't help but make "The Great Beyond" just feel pretty scary - doubly so when Joe's big reward at the end is a second chance on earth.

While I really liked it, I wonder if that's one of its big failings. Not that afterlife (and conceptions of it) shouldn't be scary but that Joe's perception of it never changes. To have truly developed as a character he should have gone from his initial fears of the great beyond to an acceptance about the impermanence of life on Earth and accepted it was his time to move on. Instead, for his efforts, he is given another chance at life on Earth, even though that's just delaying the inevitable. Nothing seems to suggest that if he lives a more succesful life on Earth that he'll be anymore will to go into the great beyond and the end of his life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2021, 06:28:54 PM
Midnight diner... I dunno. It just doesn't sit well with me. It's too much in the style of typical cheesy Japanese TV for elderly people, despite the more adult plots. The low keyness of it... Brings up negative nostalgia.

Perhaps still exotic enough for me though.  :P

It is indeed cheesy, but I think so in a good way.  I find it pleasant.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2021, 04:00:17 AM
While I really liked it, I wonder if that's one of its big failings. Not that afterlife (and conceptions of it) shouldn't be scary but that Joe's perception of it never changes. To have truly developed as a character he should have gone from his initial fears of the great beyond to an acceptance about the impermanence of life on Earth and accepted it was his time to move on. Instead, for his efforts, he is given another chance at life on Earth, even though that's just delaying the inevitable. Nothing seems to suggest that if he lives a more succesful life on Earth that he'll be anymore will to go into the great beyond and the end of his life.

Well put, and covers what I was thinking.

I mean I guess the idea was that Joe by giving up his pass to 22 was showing he was ready to move on, but then they wimp out and let him go back to earth too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

They did have an ending where he stayed in the afterlife, and I read they tested the different versions with audiences - which were always going to prefer the one where he goes back to Earth.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2021, 02:15:51 PM
They did have an ending where he stayed in the afterlife, and I read they tested the different versions with audiences - which were always going to prefer the one where he goes back to Earth.

Yeah seems a cop out to test those head to head.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

I guess you guys are too young to remember Heaven Can Wait

HVC

the definitive heaven and redemption movie is obviously all dogs go to heaven :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.