News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I randomly landed on ABC News coverage of the coup. Mona Kosar Abdi is hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Finished S2 of Boardwalk Empire. It's still good, but they sure reduced the sexy, and in some episodes they lose focus a bit.

The Brain

Crimson Peak. American heiress marries a Baronet and has to face British building standards, and even warnings from the Beyond hasn't truly prepared her. Way too slow, and the plot is too [spoiler]straightforward, though of course it's a twist that the supernatural is just a detail and not integral to the plot[/spoiler].

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Habbaku on January 05, 2021, 05:00:40 PM
:yes:

I want to binge them all now, though, dammit.

the idea that I still have to watch 4 seasons... nice.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on January 06, 2021, 04:18:36 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2021, 10:46:12 PM
Finished watching the third and final series of 'El Chapo', definitely worth a viewing, doesn't try to get you to sympathise with the main 'baddie', also I think it gave me some more detailed understanding of how Mexico's drug war evolved to how it is today.

Compared to Narcos: Mexico, how is it?

I can't say as I've not seen any of Narcos. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Watched Greed. The recent Michael Winterbottom/Steve Coogan film with Coogan as a permatanned-teeth whitened fast fashion tycoon planning his 60th birthday (on a Greek island and themed on gladiator, complete with a lion). Very clearly inspired by Sir Phillip Green.

It doesn't quite work. There's maybe too much going on. You have Coogan's character planning his birthday with his family, plus David Mitchell observing as his official biographer. Then there's a fair amount of the underlings scurrying to organise this which includes a lot of interactions with Syrian refugees on the beach (blocking his view - and played by real Syrian refugees). And there's also an element of the working conditions and very low pay for garment workers that actually builds these fast fashion fortunes.

But they never quite cohere and none of the elements of the film actually really takes off. There are a few good moments, I like the stuff with his mother - and at the end before the credits they just run stats about the fashion industry which are extraordinary. Also the Coogan performance actually seems perhaps a little understated :o

I suppose this is kind of the trade off for Winterbottom/Coogan. You will get weird, slightly unfocused, meandering gems like 24 Hour Party People or Cock and Bull Story, but if the core performances and scenes don't really take off then you're just left with a slightly unfocused, aimless, drifting film.

Edit: Incidentally I think the subject is really interesting and could be done well but I think it needs a lot more focus and more anger - I feel like Paolo Sorrentino could do something extraordinary with a character like Sir Phillip Green.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2021, 08:32:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 06, 2021, 04:18:36 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2021, 10:46:12 PM
Finished watching the third and final series of 'El Chapo', definitely worth a viewing, doesn't try to get you to sympathise with the main 'baddie', also I think it gave me some more detailed understanding of how Mexico's drug war evolved to how it is today.

Compared to Narcos: Mexico, how is it?

I can't say as I've not seen any of Narcos.

I think it's great.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2021, 03:45:59 AM
Edit: Incidentally I think the subject is really interesting and could be done well but I think it needs a lot more focus and more anger - I feel like Paolo Sorrentino could do something extraordinary with a character like Sir Phillip Green.

Now that you spoke it into my imagination, I need this movie to exist.  :wub:

Barrister

Watched Pixar's Soul last night with the kids.

It was a good movie.  For a movie without any fights or action the kids even agreed it was a good movie.  The visuals on the extra-dimensional Jerrys / Terry were really quite cool.  Music was good, it was funny - all the stuff you'd expect from Pixar.

I dunno though - it feels like it wasn't a great movie.  For a movie about "finding your spark"... only to reveal that there's no such thing feels a little hollow.  And for a movie about the afterlife it can't help but make "The Great Beyond" just feel pretty scary - doubly so when Joe's big reward at the end is a second chance on earth.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Your spark was a real thing, it just wasn't tied to a particular activity.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

To me it felt a bit too cerebral. They had this message/life theory to convey and then built a story to hit the required goalposts. It was intellectually very interesting, but emotionally a bit empty.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 08, 2021, 02:45:58 PM
To me it felt a bit too cerebral. They had this message/life theory to convey and then built a story to hit the required goalposts. It was intellectually very interesting, but emotionally a bit empty.

Yeah, I couldn't make up my mind whether it was over-developed, or not developed enough.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I'm three episodes into Orange is the New Black. Liking it so far, but it's quite a ride. :D

It surely is already much better than the German soap Hinter Gittern about a women's prison which ran for over 400 episodes from 1997 till 2010
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 06:23:32 AM
I'm three episodes into Orange is the New Black. Liking it so far, but it's quite a ride. :D

It surely is already much better than the German soap Hinter Gittern about a women's prison which ran for over 400 episodes from 1997 till 2010

How is it compared to Prisoner?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2021, 06:23:32 AM

I'd rather compare it to the film genre known as Women in Prison (WIP).  :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_prison_film