News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Also... about the Crown. Does the show ever reference the fact that Liz had two other kids besides Chuck and Anne?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on November 22, 2020, 03:08:20 PM
Also... about the Crown. Does the show ever reference the fact that Liz had two other kids besides Chuck and Anne?

Yes, there is an episode in latest season involving all 4.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I was unaware of the fourth child until I saw that episode.  Never registered before.

The Brain

Hostel 3. Bachelor party in Vegas takes a dark turn. A lot better than I expected it to be. Haven't seen any other Hostel movies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2020, 04:33:56 PM
I was unaware of the fourth child until I saw that episode.  Never registered before.

:lol:

Do you know about Andrew too? How he's provably not the favourite anymore
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Yeah we knew about Andrew but the fact there was a third brother never really registered, at least to me.

And considering that we only ever hear about these people in a tabloid context that probably reflects well on him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 11:47:55 AM
And considering that we only ever hear about these people in a tabloid context that probably reflects well on him.
:hmm: Sort of. I think we shouldn't mark on a curve here because Prince Andrew is a sex offender, so everyone looks inoffensive next to him.

He wanted a career in TV and convinced a number of the Royals to lead teams of celebrities in a gameshow ("It's a Knockout") but because it was royal they did it as Medieval themed ("The Grand Knockout Tournament"). It was very awkward but made worse because he went in to see the press tent after it had finished filming (which the press hadn't seen) and basically had a bit of a tantrum about the press not seeming enthusiastic about his pet project:
Quotet didn't quite turn out like that. On a damp day that June, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne, Sarah Ferguson and Edward himself put on pantomime Elizabethan costumes with varying degrees of enthusiasm. In a cold, muddy field in Staffordshire, they were joined by, among others, John Travolta, Cliff Richard, Sheena Easton and Gary Lineker. Before a worldwide television audience in the hundreds of millions, these contestants then chased each other through tanks of water, pelted each other with fake hams, and played games dressed as enormous chess pieces and vegetables.

It's a Royal Knockout was seen almost universally as a public-relations disaster. Except, it seemed, by Edward. That autumn, a book about the event appeared with an introduction and other contributions by the Prince. He described It's a Royal Knockout as "the event of the year". The BBC, he wrote, had "positively drooled at the idea". While acting as "overall producer" for "easily the largest outside broadcast of the year", he himself had lived "on snatched sleep and the occasional sandwich or Mars bar". The end result had been "the most extraordinary day in my life".

Then he set up his own production company and apparently used royal contacts throughout. It was generally seen as a failure in the UK - it was called a "sad joke" in the media - but had reasonable success in the US. That went fine until he sent a crew to film William at university (without William's knowledge) which was then discovered after William felt the press were breaking their promise of leaving him alone at uni and his privacy was being invaded, it turned out it was only his uncle's company though.

Since then I think he's been okay. Stepped down from all the TV production stuff, got married, did more royal stuff. I think he's still seen as a bit thin-skinned (but, except Anne, they all are). There's plenty of time for him to turn public opinion against him if his kids turn out like Eugenie and Beatrice. But I think they're still quite young.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

The Royals being involved in media is kind of on brand considering what a media product they are  :lol:

But from a constitutional perspective, of them actually doing their job, probably a very bad idea. Especially if he has the poor judgement to try to cash in on his family being a media product. But I know Andrew was involved with other shady international business deals and the like besides the sex trafficking thing right? The opportunities to abuse their position must be extreme. At least this guy only embarrassed himself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 02:01:57 PM
But from a constitutional perspective, of them actually doing their job, probably a very bad idea. Especially if he has the poor judgement to try to cash in on his family being a media product. But I know Andrew was involved with other shady international business deals and the like besides the sex trafficking thing right? The opportunities to abuse their position must be extreme. At least this guy only embarrassed himself.
Andrew's shady international business deals were probably in his role as a UK trade envoy :lol:

My understanding is the Gulf especially like dealing with fellow royals (plus they all go to UK public schools, Sandhurst etc).
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 02:10:46 PM
Andrew's shady international business deals were probably in his role as a UK trade envoy :lol:

My understanding is the Gulf especially like dealing with fellow royals (plus they all go to UK public schools, Sandhurst etc).

Yeah, our former king made his shady fortune getting paid by Spanish companies for greasing the wheels with Gulf royals.

mongers

Any Apple TV exclusives worth watching over the next few weeks?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2020, 02:34:57 PM

I like Ted Lasso, good humored football comedy series.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on November 23, 2020, 02:43:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2020, 02:34:57 PM

I like Ted Lasso, good humored football comedy series.

Thanks for the suggestion.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 23, 2020, 09:38:55 AM
:lol:

Do you know about Andrew too? How he's provably not the favourite anymore

I googled a bit and it seems that my memories of the two youngest kind of merged and I couldn't tell them apart.  For example, I thought Andrew had married Fergie.

Barrister

So apparently the star of the CBC comedy Kim's Convenience had a small role in The Mandalorian a couple weeks back (Paul Sun-Hyung Lee - he was one of the X-wing pilots).

Anyways, I started watching the show.  It's a show set in a family-run Korean-owned convenience store set in Toronto.  It's not great - I find it very predictable - but it works pretty well as a show to have on in the background and not worry about missing every little detail, and it's funny enough.  It's on Netflix now.

But I do have to ask: Yi have you seen it?  Any commentary on it's accuracy or lack thereof?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.