And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2020, 04:48:09 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 25, 2020, 12:31:07 AM
Sometimes you see someone post something and wonder how it is possible to miss the entire point that badly.

What the fuck ever. I don't agree with you guys that this is some amazing show for women. You've all told me that I'm just plain wrong about what I see in this show instead of even trying to have a conversation about it. Fine, whatever.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2020, 04:53:41 PM
Sometimes you see someone post something and wonder how it is possible to miss the entire point that badly.

What the fuck ever. I don't agree with you guys that this is some amazing show for women. You've all told me that I'm just plain wrong about what I see in this show instead of even trying to have a conversation about it. Fine, whatever.

You have a funny way of showing that you are interested in a conversation. Every post has you been noting how sexist the show is despite people providing opposing views.

Personally, I also find it odd when it is clear that the female protagonists (Chrisjen, Naomi, Bobbie) are by far the most interesting and sympathetic characters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2020, 04:36:51 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2020, 10:12:01 AM
A major plot point in the show is the rise to power of a female leader. She arguably becomes humanity's most important and powerful leader (not all good it should be said - she's not above torturing belters to get what she wants).

This is like complaining a series about the election of a female president is sexist because it doesn't show her as already in power when the show started. Just keep watching and this concern will be addressed.

Many women are shown throughout the show to be in positions of authority. That doesn't mean discrimination of various sorts has been "solved" in the world of the show. Our forms of prejudice have simply been replaced with others - a major plot element in the show.

So fun fact: if someone manages to make it through one and a half seasons and then gets tired of watching men be men and cause all kinds of manly wars, telling her to just keep watching and clearly I just don't understand how these things work isn't going to really sell her on it.

As for the article that garbon posted, they turned to Naomi because they knew her and one of the two guys (the meanest one) would move heaven and earth for her anyway. They still put the white man in charge. The "rise of the powerful Avasarala" so far is her manipulating men's egos in the background, which is what women always end up doing in these shows. And yay! Super powerful shero marine! She is pretty damn one-dimensional right now, which hey, it's not the most character-driven show anyway, but at least she's not a wilting violet and she's clearly the one in charge of her cadre of soldiers. I'm hoping she becomes someone with more depth, assuming I can make myself continue watching the show.

The problem is that I was told by several friends that I would absolutely love this show because it's a true sci-fi show with really good women in it. I've been wanting one of those for eons. Instead, at least so far, it's just... not. Men have been the only ones to make any meaningful decisions so far. Men are the ones in charge.

Not trying to sell you on it. If you don't like it, you don't. Liking stuff is subjective.

I'm merely pointing out that your stated reasons for not liking it don't actually match what happens in the show: your friends are not, in my view, wrong. Women are shown making important decisions; for example, the fate of the world in the show hangs on A's decisions. You are entitled to your own opinions, of course; I'm merely disagreeing on your interpretation of the plot.

I never said you "just don't understand how these things work", by the way. That would be pretty patronizing. Stuff like that makes civil conversations difficult. I can disagree with you without insulting you personally.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Eh, I thought the show was pretty balanced.

https://ninamunteanu.me/2018/04/05/how-the-women-of-the-expanse-are-expanding-our-worldview/

Now the new Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8 and their ilk are unimaginative and utterly insulting to women. Garbage remakes that Hollywood attempted to make a quick buck off the #metoo movement.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on September 25, 2020, 03:37:12 PM
The Thing (2011). Scientists find something in the Antarctic ice. Of course a prequel like this is limited by the constraints placed upon it. I think they really should have tried to find some new angle to the story (while painting inside the lines), because as it is it's basically some of the same stuff as in The Thing (1982), only more meh. There's less weird, less uncertainty, less DIABEETUS. That being said any movie that can be told completely in Among Us memes isn't all bad.

No mention of the crappy CGI?

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 26, 2020, 12:26:06 AM
The Thing (2011). Scientists find something in the Antarctic ice. Of course a prequel like this is limited by the constraints placed upon it. I think they really should have tried to find some new angle to the story (while painting inside the lines), because as it is it's basically some of the same stuff as in The Thing (1982), only more meh. There's less weird, less uncertainty, less DIABEETUS. That being said any movie that can be told completely in Among Us memes isn't all bad.

It didn't bother me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on September 26, 2020, 02:09:28 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 26, 2020, 12:26:06 AM

It didn't bother me.

Low standards.  :thumbsdown:

jimmy olsen

I've only seen the original Thing from the 50s.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Really dug the past two episodes of Lovecraft Country. I thought the show started a bit clunky but seems to be finding its stride. The "doctor jekyll" one was my favorite of the season.

Also, it kinda doesn't feel much like a "Lovecraft" show, the sources of inspiration are pretty varied. We've had haunted houses, a jekyll-hyde retelling, Asian horror, a Goonies episode... But that's fine.

Josephus

Robert the Bruce.

Robert the Shite
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2020, 04:53:41 PM

You said all other sci-fi show where man-centric when that is totally false.  Without even thinking about, I can name at least a dozen shows since the mid-90s that have featured strong women character, often in a position of leadership.

This show is no exception, with the most cunning characters being women, and it's just getting started.

But if you go in there expecting to see a world dominated by women with male slaves, sure, you'll be disapointed ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2020, 04:36:51 PM
So fun fact: if someone manages to make it through one and a half seasons and then gets tired of watching men be men and cause all kinds of manly wars, telling her to just keep watching and clearly I just don't understand how these things work isn't going to really sell her on it.

[...]

The problem is that I was told by several friends that I would absolutely love this show because it's a true sci-fi show with really good women in it. I've been wanting one of those for eons. Instead, at least so far, it's just... not. Men have been the only ones to make any meaningful decisions so far. Men are the ones in charge.

So, you got into this expecting female politicians to rule over man while attempting diplomacy instead of open confrontation when faced with utter and total anihilation? ;)

the show as 4 seasons out, a 5th coming soon.

If you don't like the women of this show as of now, you will not like it anymore later.  Clearly, you have different expectations, and different idea of what a strong female character is than the rest of us.  :)

Maybe you should watch The Boys instead. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Some stats from data on The Expanse wiki for you to peruse. (I'm nothing if not an analyst to the soul.) You are all correct in that Season 3 & 4 there are definitely more women cast members, and they definitely move up in status. As of Season 2, however, I am not wrong. The percent of women to men is abysmal, as is their status. Not only that, but it is literally only men making decisions throughout both seasons 1 & 2. Avasarala is manipulating decisions, but she's not making them. (At this point, she is much more Eleanor of Aquitaine compared to Queen Elizabeth I.)

My point was that it was disappointing to start a show that I was told I would love because it was finally a hard sci-fi show where women were equals with men only to find it anything but that. Then to have all of you tell me that I'm simply wrong and that women are equally on the show when that is demonstrably false was infuriating.

I'll keep watching the show because I want to see a hard sci-fi show with strong women leaders, and the data shows that will happen. But I don't think it's out of line to say that the beginning of this show is like most hard sci-fi shows and movies out there. And I think it's worth having a conversation about how that's a problem. If you guys don't, fine, whatever.

* Of 266 cast members listed, 29% are women and 71% are men.
* Counting on those who are Main, Recurring, Guest, or Special Guest (total 115) by season:
*** Season 1: 28% women; 72% men
*** Season 2: 25% women; 75% men
*** Season 3: 42% women; 58% men
*** Season 4: 43% women; 57% men
*** Season 5: Unknown

Now, how are those Main, Recurring, Guest, and Special Guest broken out?
* Main: of 40 listed, 48% women; 53% men
* Recurring: of 42 listed, 36% women; 64% men
* Guest: of 30 listed, 23% women, 77% men
* Special: of 3, 33% women, 67% men

By season, it looks like this:
* Season 1 - Total Cast: 25
*** Main: of 9, 33% women, 67% men
*** Recurring: of 8, 25% women, 75% men
*** Guest: of 8, 25% women, 75% men
*** Special: N/A
* Season 2 - Total Cast: 24
*** Main: of 9, 44% women, 56% men
*** Recurring: of 10, 20% women, 80% men
*** Guest: of 5, 100% men
* Season 3 - Total Cast: 26
*** Main: of 8, 50% women, 50% men
*** Recurring: of 7, 43% women, 57% men
*** Guest: of 9, 33% women, 67% men
*** Special: of 2, 50% women, 50% men
*Season 4 - Total Cast: 28
*** Main: of 7, 57% women, 43% men
*** Recurring: of 12, 50% women, 50% men
*** Guest: of 8, 25% women, 75% men
*** Special: of 1, 100% men
*Season 5 - Total Cast: 12
*** Main: Of 7, 57% women, 43% men
*** Recurring: of 5, 40% women, 60% men
*** Guest: N/A
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Like I said, not bad stats. How bout you give it a rest.

Either watch it or don't.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".