News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2020, 12:18:07 PM
I mean one would think that uncles killing their nieces and nephews or brothers taking out their older brothers would be a very common occurance in this era but for whatever reason it wasn't. I mean it isn't like it never happened but it was frowned upon in a way that arbitrarily executing the Duke of Buckingham wasn't.

The Duke of Clarence was the bro of the dad of the murdered nephews ... what happened to him?

Oh yeah, he was executed (privately) for attempting to usurp his brother.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Plantagenet,_1st_Duke_of_Clarence

Seems that, in this family, murder of close relations, judicial or otherwise, did indeed happen with distressing frequency!

Edit: two of his kids were also executed by the Tudors at various times ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Ok that is one example you have provided. And yeah it took Clarence many years of incredible idiotic incompetence of needlessly plotting but he did manage to be executed by his own brother. Point Malthus. However, it is still fundamentally different than murdering a sitting king, who was a child, and you were supposed to be caring for and your nephew with some adult who has spent decades plotting against you.

But still. That is one.

QuoteSeems that, in this family, murder of close relations, judicial or otherwise, did indeed happen with distressing frequency!

The distressing frequency being once I suppose. Once is one time too many.

QuoteEdit: two of his kids were also executed by the Tudors at various times ...

Oh come now we already talked about one of them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on June 16, 2020, 03:08:11 PM
I haven't watched Logan Lucky, which looks to be even sillier and funnier than the Ocean films (which I enjoy despite not making the list). I refuse to watch any of the Fast & Furious movies.

Logan Lucky is a good movie, but I'm not sure I like it better than the first Ocean.

Fast&Furious aren't exactly heist movie.  But 1-4-5 are very good action movies.  Can't remember 6.  7 was stupid, 3 was boring, 2 below average.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

Spike Lee's new movie, a Vietnam war movie called Da 5 Bloods, is out on Netflix. Anyone watch it yet? BlacKKKlansman was superb.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on June 16, 2020, 11:01:09 PM
Criterion is coming out with a new restoration of *Come and See*, which I am considering getting.

https://www.criterion.com/films/28895-come-and-see

The new restoration is quite an upgrade compared to the available DVD which had parts (reels) not sourced from a negative or even interpositive. Very video-y at times.
This new restoration should be stunning for those who remember how it looked previously on DVD, not to mention VHS.
It's already available on blu-ray over here for some time by another label than Criterion (Region B-locked before Viper asks  :P).

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 17, 2020, 06:23:13 PM
Spike Lee's new movie, a Vietnam war movie called Da 5 Bloods, is out on Netflix. Anyone watch it yet? BlacKKKlansman was superb.
I hope this'll be good. I love Spike Lee when he's on form, but he is fairly hit and miss. It's either really good or bad. But he seems to be on a bit of a run at the minute. Chi-Raq and BlacKKKlansman were both really good.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 17, 2020, 06:23:13 PM

I thought the Rambo looking for MIA buddy premise was stupid and like Shelf said Spike can make clunkers (I couldn't make it 15 minutes through The Bridge at Tabathia) so I gave it a pass.  Tell me if I'm wrong.

Sheilbh

Ian Holm RIP :(
Ian Holm, star of Lord of the Rings, Alien and Chariots of Fire, dies aged 88
Ian Holm
The versatile actor went from the RSC and Harold Pinter to international movie stardom with roles as the hobbit Bilbo Baggins and an android in Alien
Andrew Pulver
@Andrew_Pulver
Fri 19 Jun 2020 12.32 BST
Last modified on Fri 19 Jun 2020 13.11 BST

Ian Holm, the versatile actor who played everything from androids to hobbits via Harold Pinter and King Lear, has died in London aged 88, his agent confirmed to the Guardian.

"It is with great sadness that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88," they said. "He died peacefully in hospital, with his family and carer," adding that his illness was Parkinson's related. "Charming, kind and ferociously talented, we will miss him hugely."

Holm's final days were documented in a series of pastel portraits by his wife, Sophie de Stempel.

Holm, who won a Bafta and was nominated for an Oscar for his role as maverick athletics coach Sam Mussabini in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire, may have looked destined for a career in colourful supporting roles on screen – especially after quitting the theatre in 1976 after a severe case of stage fright – but he found a new generation of admirers after being cast as Bilbo Baggins in the blockbusting Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Earlier this month, he expressed his sadness that he was unable to participate in a virtual reunion for the films, saying: "I am sorry to not see you in person, I miss you all and hope your adventures have taken you to many places, I am in lockdown in my hobbit home, or holm."

Holm was born in 1931 in Essex, where his father was superintendent of the West Ham Corporation psychiatric hospital; he later described his childhood there as "a pretty idyllic existence". Falling in love with acting at an early age, he went from Rada in London to the Shakespeare Memorial theatre in Stratford, staying on to become part of the Royal Shakespeare Company on its foundation in 1960.

Holm became a leading figure at the RSC, winning an Evening Standard best actor award for Henry V in 1965, part of the seminal Wars of the Roses cycle put together by Peter Hall and John Barton. He also earned plaudits for his work with Pinter, playing Lenny in the premiere production of The Homecoming (which won him a Tony award after its transfer to Broadway) and then in the 1973 film version, directed by Hall. Not least of all from Pinter himself, who is reported to have said of Holm: "He puts on my shoe, and it fits!"

Holm underwent severe stage fright, which he described as "a sort of breakdown" during a performance of The Iceman Cometh in 1976, which he described as "a scar on my memory that will never go away". Having abandoned the theatre, Holm developed his screen-acting career, which had hitherto largely been confined to regular but sporadic parts in British films such as The Bofors Gun, Oh! What a Lovely War and Young Winston. Seen as a safe pair of hands, his casting as the android Ash in the Ridley Scott-directed Alien gave him hitherto undreamed-of international exposure. This role was followed up by his turn as Mussabini, the ostracised running coach of sprinter Harold Abrahams in Chariots of Fire.

After his best supporting actor nomination for Chariots of Fire in 1982 (which he lost to John Giegud for Arthur), Holm was now a bona fide acting grandee, though one whose eccentric-seeming, pugnacious qualities were best suited for memorable supporting parts. He played Napoleon in Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits, and hapless Mr Kurtzmann in the same director's Brazil; other highlights included Lewis Carroll in the Dennis Potter-scripted Alice fantasy Dreamchild, Dr Willis in The Madness of King George, and Father Cornelius in Luc Besson's sci-fi epic The Fifth Element. However, he did find a leading role in Atom Egoyan's adaptation of Russell Banks's The Sweet Hereafter, released in 1997, playing the smooth-talking lawyer who persuades grieving parents to launch a class-action suit after several children are killed in a bus crash.

Holm returned to Shakespeare in 1997, in the Richard Eyre-directed King Lear at the National Theatre in London, and was knighted a year later for "services to drama". Having played Frodo Baggins in a 1981 radio adaptation of Lord of the Rings, Holm was cast as Bilbo in Peter Jackson's mammoth three-part screen adaptation, with filming on The Fellowship of the Ring beginning in 1999. Bilbo did not appear in The Two Towers, but Holm returned for the final part, The Return of the King, as well as the first and third instalments of the Hobbit trilogy, which were released in 2012 and 2014 respectively.

In between the two sets of Tolkien adaptations, Holm developed an unexpected reputation as a lothario, after the publication of his autobiography in 2004. Hailed by the Daily Mail as "Lord of the Flings", he candidly chronicled his serial marriages and extramarital affairs. He is survived by his fourth wife, de Stempel, and five children from previous relationships, as well as his third wife, the actor Penelope Wilton.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

He's sailed from the Grey Havens. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

RIP :(

Rumor has it he was still collating.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 19, 2020, 05:56:00 AM
(Region B-locked before Viper asks  :P ).
:glare:
I'll try to ask an european "cousin" to "lend" me his copy ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I thought I'd buy a Blu Ray of Gone with the wind, before that movies disapears forever.
I guess I was not the only one having that idea.
535$ for the blu-ray

I'll pass.  Excellent movie, of dubious historical accuracy like oh so many others, but not worth that much.

Josquius

Why would it dissappear?
Mein kampf is still available from book shops afterall.
██████
██████
██████