News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: frunk on October 17, 2019, 12:53:07 PM
Studio Ghibli movies will be available on HBO Max.  Damn it.

I might have to subscribe.

I thought they had a long running deal with Disney?
██████
██████
██████

frunk

Quote from: Tyr on October 17, 2019, 04:29:21 PM

I thought they had a long running deal with Disney?

Disney never held the streaming rights.

Tonitrus

Living With Yourself (Netflix series)

Pretty good, I think.

KRonn

I've been watching Shameless marathon. Never got into it before but tried watching it. Finding that I like it pretty well, even though everyone in it is a train wreck. Or actually that's part of the draw to it. :lol:

FunkMonk

First episode of HBO's Watchmen was actually, uh, really good.

Cautiously optimistic, now.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 20, 2019, 09:30:22 PM

Good, it's high time we get a show on superheroes.

celedhring

Is it mother-friendly? Mom likes superhero stuff if it's not too cartoony, and was asking me today if she should check that out.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2019, 04:07:57 AM

I can only assume you've never actually read Watchmen.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on October 21, 2019, 09:56:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2019, 04:07:57 AM

I can only assume you've never actually read Watchmen.

I have. I liked it. I also liked the movie. I know its a different take and its not actual superhero superheroes.

But it IS about superheroes, even if it is a more gritty take on the whole phenomenon instead of, say, taking a detective series and putting a blind superhero as the lead to sell it.

Malthus

Gritty deconstructions of the superhero genre are now as ubiquitous as playing the superhero genre straight - maybe even moreso.

It is simply weird how this one aspect of popular culture - the superhero - has taken over so much cultural landscape.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

On another note, I watched Braveheart, that old Mel Gibson Scottish fantasy take on the historical drama, with my son.

We had a great time laughing at the sheer absurdity of it (my son is very interested in history, and the anachronism stew approach to historical fiction in this movie did not escape him).

He likened it to watching a WW2 drama in which Hitler is depicted wearing plate armour and riding a unicorn into battle ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 10:11:22 AM
Gritty deconstructions of the superhero genre are now as ubiquitous as playing the superhero genre straight - maybe even moreso.

It is simply weird how this one aspect of popular culture - the superhero - has taken over so much cultural landscape.

I blame millennials.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I have a lot of writer friends that are taking old projects and repurposing them with superheroes to sell them. It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2019, 12:40:36 PM
I have a lot of writer friends that are taking old projects and repurposing them with superheroes to sell them. It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

Are these the same projects they previously repurposed with vampires and zombies?