News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Yeah, I don't understand bad reviews either. I've been working through it the last few days and I find it a pleasant diversion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

It's entertaining and pleasantly over the top.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on February 06, 2018, 04:44:30 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 06, 2018, 03:43:28 PM
QuoteIt was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

:w00t:

I would've been far more excited about this news in 2016.

Yeah. I think scarcity was part of the cult status. Now we are going to have a new SW movie every 6 months. Going to compete with superhero movies.

Grey Fox

I am way more excited about SW tv series than more movies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Just got Amazon Prime. What should I absolutely watch? Man in the High Castle? Transparent? Any other recomendantions?

Grey Fox

MitHC is good.

I know of no other Amazon show.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on February 08, 2018, 02:15:36 PM
Just got Amazon Prime. What should I absolutely watch? Man in the High Castle? Transparent? Any other recomendantions?
The Bosch series is pretty good according to my parents.  I enjoyed Comrade Detective.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

HUmans, the one about robots was pretty good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 08, 2018, 02:16:33 PM
MitHC is good.

Isn't the aunt Malthus show on prime? Could be hulu, don't have either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 08, 2018, 03:51:34 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 08, 2018, 02:16:33 PM
MitHC is good.

Isn't the aunt Malthus show on prime? Could be hulu, don't have either.

Handmaiden's Tale. I think it's a Hulu show, but we get it through HBO over here. It's awesome.

The Brain

Sigh. It's The Handmaid's Tale. It's not Handmaiden's Tale, Handmaid's Tail, or any other variation thereof.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Somewhat related to the topic in hand, this netflix/bbc offering sounds quite interesting:

Troy: Fall of a City

This is a BBC/Netflix eight-part drama which retells Homer's story from the Trojans' viewpoint. "The story we're telling has an epic and political sweep but is also deeply human and intimate," says writer David Farr.

Troy: Fall of a City will be begin at 9.10pm, 17 February, on BBC One.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I think their thought process will be something like: 'So if we just give that one woman back to the Greeks they will go away?'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2018, 04:40:47 PM
I think their thought process will be something like: 'So if we just give that one woman back to the Greeks they will go away?'

The two sages, Ucalegon and Antenor, elders of the people, were seated by the Scaean gates, with Priam, Panthous, Thymoetes, Lampus, Clytius, and Hiketaon of the race of Mars. These were too old to fight, but they were fluent orators, and sat on the tower like cicales that chirrup delicately from the boughs of some high tree in a wood. When they saw Helen coming towards the tower, they said softly to one another, "Small wonder that Trojans and Achaeans should endure so much and so long, for the sake of a woman so marvellously and divinely lovely. Still, fair though she be, let them take her and go, or she will breed sorrow for us and for our children after us."

Iliad Book III (Samuel Butler Translation)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (2017)

Steve James documentary about the one bank that criminal charges were brought against as a result of the 2008 Financial Crisis; a family owned bank that served the immigrant community in New York's Chinatowns (and one with a very small default rate.)  As always you should exercise a certain amount of caution when it comes to documentaries; in this case the documentary is clearly on the side of the defendants, in fact some of its best moments come from watching the family members interact with one another.   

The lawyers, both prosecution and defense, are mostly there for comic relief.  The high point from the prosecution is when the DA insists that the case was not racist; they would have treated a bank which serviced the Latin American or Indian community just the same.  The high point for the defense is that so many of the witnesses for the prosecution were obviously committing perjury that the defense lawyer was worried that the jury was going to conclude that everyone who dealt with Abacus bank was full of shit.

In any event, don't be like this family.  If you're going to steal, steal an extraordinary amount of money.  Also don't belong to an ethnic minority.  That, I think, is the lesson we should all draw from the 2008 financial crisis.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock